Android - 0.8.0

Started by omängum fra'uti, September 13, 2010, 12:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on October 05, 2013, 09:40:20 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on October 05, 2013, 09:23:54 PM
Ma Palu, I think I forgot to do some work for Nexus 7 -sized stuff. Hey everyone who has tablets: Do all the pages look correctly laid out?

I'll update the link on OP for now.

EDIT: Editing OP and the Change Log reminds me: Is this 0.7.1 officially released now? Hmm. When I have time, I'm gonna go make sure all my XML layouts are straightened out (Because I remember some of them were not 100% right) and then we should be ready to go for a Google Play Debut.... 3 Years late.

A question on the app.  I installed 0.7.1 a year ago on my phone.  And reloaded it on my tablet over 6 months ago.  Is it the same app coding?  Or have changes been made over the last year?  Thus we may not be running the "latest" 0.7.1 version.

If you go for a Google Play debut, maybe having this app "upgradeable" might be worth looking into, to tweak the app as needed with auto-downloads?

It depends on if you downloaded the original 0.7.1 and then again, or if you downloaded the original 0.7.1 back then and then my (and Palu's) Development version. (But of course then again, 0.7.1 was always a development version never officially released except me compiling it and releasing the .apk here) It's hard to say. The only way to tell is, the original 0.7.1 was themed for Gingerbread. It will run in compatibility mode on new devices which means it would have the "menu button" thing at the bottom of the screen next to the soft keys on the bottom bar. The NEW 0.7.1 (Dev Version) supports both old and new, and has consistent menus, way more part of speech filters, the new horizontal dictionary layout for tablets, etc.

EDIT:

Quote from: Palulukan Maktoyu on October 05, 2013, 09:47:11 PM*Thumps Tirea for not updating the version number after the recent re-writes of the UI stuff* ) is definatly different then the one a year ago. [...]
With that said maybe call this 0.7.2 or 0.8.0? ma Tirea? ( if so you get it in the code and i'll get it compiled and updated to the link )

Yeh, my bad... How about 0.8.0? Let's write that and when I get time, I'll have a look at all the XML and polish the last touches for this version.

Taronyu Leleioae

Aha...  I suspected as much.  One of the downloads I have (labeled learn-navi.apk) was back from 26 JUL 2012.  Holds onto that just in case this new version crashes the phone.  I'll download again and reinstall in both to see what retro compatibility does with older platforms.

Suggest maybe also renaming the .apk file, just in case an older version is needed?

==============

Results to follow...

Motorola Droid Pro v2.3.4 > Runs fine.  (Uninstalled old version manually.)
Comments:  App is locked into portrait mode.  Newer search bars are there.  What I noticed, is that the dictionary entries (if you just scrolled down) are now in a bigger font.  This helps my aging eyes, but as the Droid Pro screen is only 3/4 length, I only get about 6 words at a time.  Was the app purposely made to make the entries look bigger than before?

One feature that's missing.  On the phone, there is no special keyboard.  Wondering how hard it would be to put in an onscreen or option softkey to call up the Na'vi unique letters?  Otherwise on the phone (physical keyboard like a Blackberry), the Na'vi to English dictionary becomes really first letter, then scroll.  Again, noticed that with a blank search entry, it pre-populates results.  Might be better if it's blank till you type in a letter.

Added > Rather than lock out completely the auto portrait to landscape function, how about a modification?  Have a checkbox in "settings" that is pre-set (for phones) to say, do not auto-rotate.  Then let the user un-check and decide for themselves if the app is stable with that functionality?

Toshiba Thrive v3.2.1> Runs fine.  (Uninstalled old version manually.)  
I'll test it further.  I had one closing issue but that may be just a random event...

Comments:  I can't remember, but it seems the screen is slightly brighter?  If you did, maybe darken it just a tad with the tree image.  I just don't remember it being quite that intense?  If you didn't change it, then never mind...  
Noticed that the installer does not put the LearnNavi icon on the "desktop".  Have to add manually from the apps page.  (Just mentioning.)

In landscape mode, slide to resources links is new.  I may be wrong, but it looks like the main page "Resources" box tab the font is smaller than the Dictionary above it.  Also noticed that those two boxes are a tad smaller than the ones on the Resources page.  Maybe want to make the same to make it easier with fat fingers?  More search options by part of speech now showing.

In portrait mode, it switches to the phone style format with the two bars on top, and search bar on bottom.  (Nice to have search bar on bottom btw and not having to hit a softkey on the device.)  

I did notice in both modes..., when hitting the search tab, the list pre-populates results back.  Which it did not do before.  Prefer the old way where it was "blank" until you started typing something (just imo).

ADDED TEST: (23 OCT 2013)
Toshiba Thrive v4.0.4 - Rooted, Modified Version of Stock ROM (DaleNet DeOdexed Rooted)> Runs fine.
Upgraded Thrive to ICS thus "factory refreshed".  LN program runs fine.  But I noticed one change on this tablet.  When the OS was 3.2.1, the search bar for word search (at top where you type) was centered in screen previously in landscape mode.  Now it is (flush) left with 4.0.4 ICS.

Tirea Aean

Eventually the plan is to have the APK names start being something like

org.learnnavi.app-0.8.0.apk

or something. But it's only called Android.apk for now because of how AIDE was set up.

Thanks for your testing input! :D

Toruk Makto

Installed on Thunderbolt with ICS.  Had to uninstall the old version manually before this one would successfully install.  Looks good, so far

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Palulukan Maktoyu

Just tested on Samsung Galaxy S4 android 4.2.2
working like a champ!
Fkol syaw oeru Palulukan Maktoyu Ta'lengean

Twitter: https://twitter.com/navi_wotd

Taronyu Leleioae

All is fine...   (Although the fact that the search bar covers some of the words on my Thrive isn't quite right.  But that may be only for the Thrive?)

New word list came down yesterday.  We haven't had one in awhile.
From Seze's post a few pages back, said it would take up to 48 hours.  It did.  
So the script (auto updater) seems to be functioning normally...

Toruk Makto

The DNS for learnnaviapp needs to be updated...

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Palulukan Maktoyu

dropped Seze a note about it, and got message that he got it.
should be working now

Seze

Had the wrong IP in the DNS record. Should be fixed now.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Taronyu Leleioae

Just (re)flushed my dns cache on the tablet and it's pulling again.  Thanks!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Its working here without a cache flush, so the DNS change must have fully propagated out.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Anahera

This app also works great on Kyocera Hydro C5215 android version 4.1.2 :D
I agree with JakeSully. We are killing our Mother, our planet. Sometimes (every moment I breath) I feel like I was born on the wrong planet at the wrong time.

I don't understand why my tsmuk feel the need to hurt others, yet it happens continuously. It hurts to think about, but it is even worse to watch.

I tend to run off at the mouth at increasing speeds regardless of my mood and I am always open to help someone if they need it. Never be afraid to speak out because you might just enjoy the response.

Eywa ngahu :)

Tìtstewan

Well, I bought a Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini three days ago (my first smartphone ever, lol) and I just would ask, if there are any plans to put that app on Google Play (or other authorized places) to have a "comfortable" installation? It would be awesome.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Palulukan Maktoyu

Yes there have been plans I'll follow up with Tirea regarding this, I keep bugging him from time to time about it. personally I think it's ready as to date it works on pretty much everything i've thrown it on including my Blackberry Z10 which now has android player 4.3 due to recent updates to Blackberry OS 10.2 , i've ran it on several tablets and smartphones and is the defacto test I use on any new device i get that runs android. So will let ya know

Tìtstewan

Great to read that. I will wait! :D Irayo nìtxan!

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Tirea Aean

It needs UI tweaks. But that's really it. After that, I'd be cozy sending it to Google Play

Palulukan Maktoyu

Well you lemme know when your tweaks are done and I'll get it over to that one that can post it to play:)

Tirea Aean

Not sure when I'll next have time to do that. I'll need to find time, then I'll need to remember what all exactly needed to be done. It's been centuries. :S

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

But it is one of the most-used apps on my phone, even if it isn't fully up to date. At least, the word list is kept current.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

Palu and I have been doing some work on it all day today. We're definitely getting somewhere. It's looking so great now on HD devices! :D

For those interested in testing this before it goes live, here is a link to the most current .apk (Learn Na'vi 0.8.0 build 170): http://goo.gl/1kt4Qw

I'm most interested in the opinions of those who own 10" Android tablets. I only own a Nexus 5 and a Nexus 7 (a 5" phone and a 7" tablet) and it looks great on both of those.