Android - 0.8.0

Started by omängum fra'uti, September 13, 2010, 12:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tirea Aean

I'll Download and install and get back on that. I updated to Android 2.1 some time ago and it deleted all my stuff.

Good thing I have the SDK :D [shakes fist at AT&T]

EDIT:

Installed the app...

It greeted me with a screen that said there was a new word list and asked if I want to update. It updated.

The current version (I got the download from OP) info is:

Version 0.7.0 (158-57)
Word List Version 57

The word list did NOT have pxen, a recent word.

where does the .sqlite come from? I know that the .sql is very often generated, and it is generated each time the dictionary is updated so it's never out of date. What is the relationship between the sqlite and Eana Eltu?

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 19, 2011, 09:06:22 PM
I'll Download and install and get back on that. I updated to Android 2.1 some time ago and it deleted all my stuff.

No issue with this, but don't you think it could be better if you upgrade to at least 2.2 or even 2.3.3? Seeing the mostly used versions...

I have got the same version as you have. However I have not received an update since at least a month, perhaps even two.

Seze

where does the .sqlite come from? I know that the .sql is very often generated, and it is generated each time the dictionary is updated so it's never out of date. What is the relationship between the sqlite and Eana Eltu?

I have a script on my server that downloads the Eana Eltu data whenever it detects that the files were updated, the files are regenerated every night regardless of new data or not.  It then processes the data and checks to see what actually changed if anything.  If there are changes, it will create the .sqlite database file and then update the version file to match this newly generated file. 

We used to use a different schema for the database, this was before we were given access to the .sql file, back when it was just .csv files.  I "think" that the old android version is still using this schema, and as such is looking for different dictionary files, since we decided to rename them when we changed the schemas to keep outdated code from breaking when the database was updated.  I'll checkout revision 158 later tonight and see what its actually looking for.

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on September 20, 2011, 12:32:35 PM

No issue with this, but don't you think it could be better if you upgrade to at least 2.2 or even 2.3.3? Seeing the mostly used versions...

I have got the same version as you have. However I have not received an update since at least a month, perhaps even two.

The Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 is SOOO Outdated... It is always several releases behind, and I am not able to legally update it to a newer version until Sony releases an update to me. I don't feel like hacking my phone to upgrade it. The app works fine, I'm sure there's just a bug in the updater part of the code.

Seze

I looked through the SVN transcript log of past commits and it looks like commit 170 added support for the newer database schema and commit 171 fixed some issues with the database updates.  The very last commit to SVN (174) added support for preferences, some of which were related to the dictionary downloads. 

So it would seem that you need to be running a newer build of the app (which currently is only available as the raw source code) to get the updates to the dictionary since the old schema is no longer being supported anymore, and I don't recall how to update the old schema.

Tirea Aean

So basically, we just need to compile the .apk off the current revision and upload it to google code so it can be downloaded by users. Or is it not ready to be compiled I wonder

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

is this one better or worse than the iPod/iPhone app?
old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite on September 21, 2011, 08:19:59 AM
is this one better or worse than the iPod/iPhone app?

The current iPhone/iPod/iPad app is better. The Android version is up and coming, aiming to match it. I think after the current revision is compiled, It will be comparable.

EDIT: Seze, I can't compile it. It is loaded with compiler errors. I think they are all because of R.

many lines reference R. I don't know what R is, the compiler keeps saying
QuoteR cannot be resolved to a variable.

First of many examples is in Dictionary.java:

setContentView(R.layout.dictionary);

EDIT: It had to do with the minSDKVersion in Manifest.xml. I dont have SDK level 2 in eclipse, so I changed it to SDK level 7, my target SDK (Android 2.1)

Neyn'ite Te Tsahìk Txeptsyìp'ite

old gallery link?id=2025[/img]

oel ayngati kameie, ma aysmukan sì aysmuke, Eywa ayngahu.
oeyä tsmukan, ma Nick, oeru ngaytxoa livu. nìmwey tsurokx. nga yawne lu oer.

Tirea Aean

Current version, 0.7.1 (162-69) Runs in a Android 2.1 emulator fine except the Dictionary and Resource buttons do not do anything. Console and Problems have no errors in eclipse... Weird. I wish I had my phone to test this...

Seze

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 21, 2011, 09:10:57 AM
Current version, 0.7.1 (162-69) Runs in a Android 2.1 emulator fine except the Dictionary and Resource buttons do not do anything. Console and Problems have no errors in eclipse... Weird. I wish I had my phone to test this...

Welcome to the wonderful world of software development... :)

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Seze on September 21, 2011, 02:05:19 PM
Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 21, 2011, 09:10:57 AM

Welcome to the wonderful world of software development... :)

<3 This is gonna be an awesome career...

Tsmuktengan

Well, I have both Android 2.3 here and an iPod Touch 2G (although I do not know how to compile that stuff yet).

I can test if you send me the packages for Android and iOS, if that can help.

Seze

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on September 21, 2011, 02:53:19 PM
Well, I have both Android 2.3 here and an iPod Touch 2G (although I do not know how to compile that stuff yet).

The iOS version is already shipped and out the door, you can find it in the App Store.  For Android, can't really be of much help there yet, as I haven't had a chance to play with Android development yet.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Seze on September 21, 2011, 03:03:01 PM
Quote from: Tsmuktengan on September 21, 2011, 02:53:19 PM

The iOS version is already shipped and out the door, you can find it in the App Store.  For Android, can't really be of much help there yet, as I haven't had a chance to play with Android development yet.

Fine. I have no time yet to start learning Java. But this means I do have the latest version on my iPod then (1.0.0 (169)).

Tirea Aean

I mean, I can attach the .apk Android app to this post, It's compiled. But I can't guarantee it will work. and it works. If you have AT&T you will need the Android SDK in order to install any app that is not found on the Android Market.

http://tirea.skxawng.lu/learn-navi.apk

Toruk Makto

Your 0.7.1 apk runs fine on my Thunderbolt running GB 2.3.4, 2.11.605.0. It asked about and downloaded new word list that appears to have the latest vocab.  Rah!

Markì

Edit: Pronunciation keys look wonky when you click on words for more info. Lots of ??s in the IPA.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Seze

Looks like I might be getting a Nexus S for Android Development next week...

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Seze on September 21, 2011, 09:28:34 PM
Looks like I might be getting a Nexus S for Android Development next week...

Aw dude my stepdad just got a Nexus S and it is AWESOME. I want one.

ALso, Markì that's good news... except for the IPA... encoding fail??

I changed the SDK and the min for Android 2.1 development. I have no idea if this affects anything like that. I'm about to sideload and try the above new version for myself.

EDIT: Installed, works great. Even the IPA for me. The ONLY thing that's weird is that there is a <?> in the list separator headings in the dictionary for only the Ì and Ä section headings. (does that make sense?)

Seze

Quote from: Tirea Aean on September 22, 2011, 07:52:46 AM
The ONLY thing that's weird is that there is a <?> in the list separator headings in the dictionary for only the Ì and Ä section headings. (does that make sense?)

To give you some background on this, I couldn't figure out how to make sqlite sort ì and ä properly, so the solution was to replace those characters with b and j since they aren't used in the language and are in the correct alphabetical order for ä and ì.  My guess is that the bug you are encountering is related to the swapping of b and j for ä and ì.  Since I didn't write the android code, I can't really point you to anything more specific, hopefully that gives you a good starting point to start debugging.