Mobile App Development

Started by Seze, May 22, 2010, 10:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seze

Are you interested in building mobile phone apps?

If so then you have come to the right place.  The Learn Na'vi App is 100% open source and community developed.  If you would like to get involved, please send the project admin (Seze) a PM with your Google Account Email address in it.  Once added to the project you will be able to commit any changes you make to the project's repository. 

Project Location

The Learn Na'vi App is hosted over at Google Code.  You can find the project here.

The Learn Na'vi App is hosted over at GitHub. You can find the project here

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Seze

The repository location was recently moved.  It used to be hosted at http://code.google.com/p/learn-navi-iphone-app/ but it is now at http://code.google.com/p/learn-navi/   I moved the repository because the App is now no longer iPhone specific anymore.  I've re-added all of the active people from the old repository to the new one.  If anyone has any trouble accessing the project, let me know...

OV3RK!LL

Hi.
I really like the database stuff you did and started to adopt it in my Android App...
Anyway I have 2 questions:

1. What happen to the IPA stuff and the localized_words table between v24 and v25? - Why is everything gone and, more important, do you have plans to bring it back?
2. How to you plan to implement the audio stuff? In my app I took the mp3 from http://www.archive.org/download/http://www.archive.org/details/NaviWordsnoEnglish. Is there another source for spoken audio you can tell me?

And I don't like the popup to show the detail on a word in your android app, sorry but the first time i clicked i thought it was an error message :)
Got an Android phone? Get Learn Na'vi for Android

Seze

Quote from: OV3RK!LL on July 05, 2010, 02:16:16 PM
1. What happen to the IPA stuff and the localized_words table between v24 and v25? - Why is everything gone and, more important, do you have plans to bring it back?

Tuiq recently gave us access to SQL data that builds the primary LN Dictionary.  We are currently working on getting that worked in to the database that the mobile apps use.  I've just recently (like today) got my server back online, so hopefully I can get all the fancy IPA stuff back into the mobile app dictionary ASAP, when time allows.

2. How to you plan to implement the audio stuff? In my app I took the mp3 from http://www.archive.org/download/http://www.archive.org/details/NaviWordsnoEnglish. Is there another source for spoken audio you can tell me?

I was planning on doing something similar.  I may mirror the audio files on my server for sanity though.  Check this post out for a good place to find good audio files.  

And I don't like the popup to show the detail on a word in your android app, sorry but the first time i clicked i thought it was an error message :)

Irayo for the suggestion.  I think it was left like that until we had more data to show the user, like IPA, audio, etc.

If you want to get involved with our mobile app, just let me know and I can add to the repository.   :)

OV3RK!LL

Hi.
I have something that might be usefull for the database.
I assume you use the SQLitev3 module to pack the database on your sever.
If you do I have something for you http://pastebin.com/QrYxax3U.
This script takes the mp3 urls from http://www.tyger.org/~tiger/navi/wordlist.php?filterlevel=1 and merges them into the audio field of your db.
To make it work you need to change the fieldtype from int to text and then simply run the script at the location you have your dictionary.sqlite file.

I would love to see this in an update because it's far more easier to learn the words if you can listen to them.

If you have questions or suggestions on the script please let me know.
Got an Android phone? Get Learn Na'vi for Android

Zeykoyu Aean

Aloha Seze:

Might I be allowed to try the Learn Na'vi application on my iPod Touch.

I seem to need some sort of authorization to be able to install it.

Mahalo,
Zeykoyu Aean

Nawma_taronyu

yea can i get on the beta too, I would love to help fine tune this by providing bug info and what not, (dont know much about making ir edditing the program though) Ipod touch 2g, (Jailbroken)
Eywa'eveng ngeyä mì sìrey livu frakrr.
May Pandora always be in your life.

Seze

Quote from: Nawma_taronyu on September 08, 2010, 01:24:59 PM
yea can i get on the beta too, I would love to help fine tune this by providing bug info and what not, (dont know much about making ir edditing the program though) Ipod touch 2g, (Jailbroken)

You should be able to install the App yourself since you are using a jailbroken device.  

For others that don't have jailbroken devices, I have to add you to my Apple Developer Account and I only get to add a total of 100 unique devices per year, and unfortunately I've used up all the spots already.  Oeru txoa livu... :(

Seze

Quote from: OV3RK!LL on September 07, 2010, 06:08:17 AM
Hi.
I have something that might be usefull for the database.
I assume you use the SQLitev3 module to pack the database on your sever.
If you do I have something for you http://pastebin.com/QrYxax3U.
This script takes the mp3 urls from http://www.tyger.org/~tiger/navi/wordlist.php?filterlevel=1 and merges them into the audio field of your db.
To make it work you need to change the fieldtype from int to text and then simply run the script at the location you have your dictionary.sqlite file.

I would love to see this in an update because it's far more easier to learn the words if you can listen to them.

If you have questions or suggestions on the script please let me know.

Irayo, I'll look into using this in the future.  Been a tad bit busy on other projects lately...

Nawma_taronyu

so how long do you think it will be before we can get retail? no beta testing everyone can get?

Nawma_taronyu

so at first look it looks nice, I like the way the dictionary is set up, but needs more (of course) info on gramer, sintax and what not, One thing that might be good is a word memory tape-like thing Eg a guy says "Kaltxì" then quieter "hello" in Na'vi albetical order, and like the rosseta stone thing where its 4 images, the Na'vi word, someone says the word, and you click the corresponding image, if your wrong he says Kehe and the screen flashes red or something, same with if your right only opposite flashes green then someone says Srane, but i must say i love how the dictionary keeps up-to-date!! ;D looks great so far keep it up

Säfpìltu

Any point in hoping this will get available on a Nokia?
*dreams*
Säfpìltu te Na'rìng Meuiaeywayä'itan.

Seze

Quote from: tcatipax on May 23, 2011, 01:33:09 PM
This project is not open source.

"All rights reserved" appears in many of the source files and licensing isn't explicit in many of the files (therefore defaulting to proprietary, though shared, code). Files with either of these issues do not give users or authors all of the freedoms in the open source definition.

My post recommends licenses you can use to have a 100% open source project (assuming you have the permission of all of the authors). Though, given "Copyright 2009 Flurry, Inc. All rights reserved", I'm not sure you even have permission to be distributing the full source code. In fact, with the current licensing situation, you aren't even permitted to use Google Code hosting. See JSMin isn't welcome on Google Code for more information.

I'm not in a good mood right now, so if any of the following seems overly negative, etc. its not meant to be, I'm just feeling a bit cranky right now...

The project is open source, if you disagree, I'm sorry, but it is.  I'm a software developer, not a ****ing tawtute lawyer.  I set the license on Google Code to be GPL v2 with the understanding that it covered the whole project and then I released the code so that others can use it, if there is more work involved beyond that to make a project "open source", well then thats just tough. 

As for the Flurry stuff, there is no source code for flurry in the app, only a header and a binary file.  As far as I'm concerned I am using it well within the manner that the original author intended it to be used. 

Concerning the "All rights reserved" issue, see this.  The code is copyrighted to the Learn Na'vi community, I see nothing wrong with declaring that...

Also, putting software license info in every single one of the source files is a waste of my time and in my view is unnecessary, if you feel like going through the project and updating all the source files, go ahead. 

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: tcatipax on May 29, 2011, 01:07:36 AM
Is the Learn Na'vi community a registered non-profit? I believe copyright must be assigned to legal entities (persons, businesses, etc) and doing so requires written contracts.
Also, the GPLv2 is incompatible with the Apple App Store Terms of Service so Apple removes GPLv2 software as they find it.

Apples license is designed to cover up any legal issues with certain licensed. Amont of f***s they give until someone actually complains: 0. If the app magically disappears in the following days we know whose fault it is :P

Seze

As far as I'm concerned, the GPL license is only attached to the code you find on the Google Code repo.  The code given to Apple to use for the App Store is released under a different licensing model (Dual License).  If another developer wants to take that code and use it for something else, great.  All I'm asking is that their code remain open under the GPL.  I have no problems with granting permission for them to dual license their code so that it can work with Apple's App Store.

Payoang

Quote from: tcatipax on May 29, 2011, 01:07:36 AM
Is the Learn Na'vi community a registered non-profit? I believe copyright must be assigned to legal entities (persons, businesses, etc) and doing so requires written contracts.
Also, the GPLv2 is incompatible with the Apple App Store Terms of Service so Apple removes GPLv2 software as they find it.

Hi there, sorry to be late to the discussion.

Here's my take on the app: if you don't find it useful, don't use it. It's my understanding that We made the (free) app in the hopes that it would be useful for learners of Na'vi -- not as a misconceived mission to argue over miniscule matters concerning code, copyrights, and contracts.

While I, too, stand behind you and the belief that code should be open, you are thinking way too far into this; inappropriately so. LearnNavi is no legal entity of any kind, nor is it our members' focus to define explicit licenses for the content the distribute freely. Your rather thorough listing of licensing problems, concerns, faults, failures, and other wise misappropriations of licensing models of our resources is a pleasure to read, much in the way that I find coding in BF a relaxing and enjoyable task. If you believe it prudent that your purpose of your presence here is solely to pursue discussions over open source violations of free resources created by/for a community of learners of a fictional language, it is my humble suggestion that you take your person elsewhere and apply your, no doubt, very comprehensive understanding of copyrights/lefts/others to more constructive purposes.

Payoang

Quote from: tcatipax on June 01, 2011, 03:14:06 AM
I believe copyright issues should be treated as bugs before they become serious problems.

Quote from: tcatipax on June 01, 2011, 03:14:06 AM
Markì (initially), Tawtewng, Seze and now you (Payoang) have been very rude. I'd like to know why you guys are getting so frustrated over copyright issues, of all things.

Pardon the rudeness; I tend to be to the point. I hope I speak for all others: we as site owners/administrators/moderators see no need to start such a huge diatribe about the licenses of the resources on the site. Not everything that is created here requires a LICENSE, GPL, changelog, readme, etc. In my humble opinion, there is no need to start such a fuzz about it - regardless of how good your intentions are.

I'm glad that copyright/licensing gets you all steamed up, but there's really no need to shout  - and preach about open source morals. Your efforts to correctify details of attribution, copyright, authorship, and the definition of Open Source are misplaced here and unfortunately not welcomed. I will leave it at that.

Toruk Makto

I would just add that aggressive promotion of a viewpoint and then claiming that reasonable responses to same are "rude", is in rather bad form and not very mature. Just my opinion of course...

For my part, you have mischaracterized my puzzlement of your viewpoint as frustration. Frankly, you don't have the horsepower to frustrate me. But, I would like to ask what is really fueling your apparent interest in the legal position of LearnNavi.org and it's content? Let's face it, you exceeded the bounds of normal good will concern when you kept on with it. If you are just trying to use our forums as a platform to evangelize your philosophy that all digital intellectual property should be free and unlimited, then you are really in the wrong place.

ta Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Seze

The reason you are getting "rude" responses here is primarily because of how you've been speaking to us.  In our view you've been rather rude and forceful with your religious views on "free" software.  You would have gotten a much better reaction from some of us if you weren't so abrasive with your views.  If you would have said something like, hey I think you might have some issues with your licensing, you are missing a license file, etc.  I probably would have been a lot more open to discussion about it.  Instead you came here and put me on the defensive from the start, stating that my app is not open source and that we are violating all kinds of stuff.  Putting someone on the defensive like that is not a very good idea when reporting "bugs", especially if you want things fixed in a timely manner.

You seem to have a thorough understanding of open source licensing information, which could be a benefit to some of us around here who really couldn't care less about licensing issues.  However, the way you are pedaling said information is borderline trolling.  The fact that you've gotten the attention of 2 of the site admins, some of the moderators, and some other well known users who are all saying the same thing is definitely not helping your cause...

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: tcatipax on June 01, 2011, 03:14:06 AMYet despite these, in my mind, good things, Markì (initially), Tawtewng, Seze and now you (Payoang) have been very rude. I'd like to know why you guys are getting so frustrated over copyright issues, of all things.

Treat people like you want to be treated. You were rude against them and they will be rude back.

Noone but you are getting frustated against copyright issues. You're the one preaching about the "free" society and you're the one telling us that we are wrong and you right.