Learnnavi for Windows 8 RT

Started by Eltusiyu, April 28, 2013, 07:58:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eltusiyu

So... We have Learnnavi app for Apple and Google devices but we still do not have any for Windows 8/Windows Phone 8 based devices.
Here is what I've done so far.

I'm neither programmer or graphic but here is my concept of Learnnavi for Windows 8:
http://kxangangang.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/learnnavi-conpetv01.png
Size: 1366x768

What do you think? Next week maybe I'll but more of screenshots :)

Kxangangang! - Oeyä Pìlok leNa'vi

Previously called Kxrekorikus

Tìtstewan

This app looks great! Unfortunately I havn't windows 8 yet. :(

Edit:
If you want to make your app multilingual, I would translate it in German. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Swoka Ikran

Looks cool, and that screen shot suggests it has more features than the Android/iPad apps.

Unfortunately I don't own a tablet that runs 8 (have an iPad), and the modern half of 8 is awkward and pointless on a KB&M-only PC due to wasting a full screen.

Have you considered making this a web application instead so it'd be useful on all tablets? Win8 tablets are <1% of the market last I heard. :( Seeing RT is already HTML5-based, it'd probably not be terribly difficult to do.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on April 28, 2013, 07:02:41 PM
Win8 tablets are <1% of the market last I heard. :( Seeing RT is already HTML5-based, it'd probably not be terribly difficult to do.

Plus they are already working on the "fix" for Windows 8.  (Just like Vista!)  They are currently calling it "Windows Blue".  Clearly marketing failed...  They should just make a service pack and restore some of the Windows 7 look and functionality to make people happy...

It would also be nice to see the app actually work on a windows pc.  But I agree a web app would be more flexible.  The next generation of some tablets will be Win 8 OS driven.  But certainly not all.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on April 28, 2013, 07:10:31 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on April 28, 2013, 07:02:41 PM
Win8 tablets are <1% of the market last I heard. :( Seeing RT is already HTML5-based, it'd probably not be terribly difficult to do.

Plus they are already working on the "fix" for Windows 8.  (Just like Vista!)  They are currently calling it "Windows Blue".
Actually, the official name for Blue was released. They're just calling it Windows 8.1, and they've stated they will not fix the missing start menu (despite it being the leading cause of the product's failure on non-touch PCs).

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on April 28, 2013, 07:10:31 PM
It would also be nice to see the app actually work on a windows pc.  But I agree a web app would be more flexible.
Just some more food for thought...some benefits of a web app over a Win8 app:
* Can be made to run on 99% of the today's devices, including all Android, Apple, and RT tablets, as well as PCs running any operating system with a modern browser.
* UI Consistency across said devices. We see the same interface everywhere.
* No app store approval needed. That means:
  * Update as often as you wish
  * No policies to follow.
  * If you later want to ask for donations or the like (hosting bill?) in-app, MS won't take part of it.
* Non-proprietary code (HTML and things like jQuery are standard, Win8's strange HTML5/JS interface isn't)
* Can still have a home screen icon on most tablets. Normal Windows users just create a shortcut.
* No installation needed, and updates are just there when they go to use it.

I don't want to get you down, but you're developing a really awesome-looking project for a platform that almost nobody uses. If Windows 8 was more widely accepted and used as I suspect it will be in a few years, I'd say go for it. For now though, I'd move to a standard everyone can use so all of us can enjoy it.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Eltusiyu

No I do not want consider making a web app for all tablets 'cause I want learn how to develop Win8 Apps. I really like the Modern UI and Win8. I'm using it since Developer Preview (Oct, 2011) as main system on my pc. Now on second partition I have leaked Windows 8.1 (Windows Blue) and I can say it will bring some more functionalities to Start Screen.

I decided that LN app would be a very nice practice in that profession ;) Also I consider Windows Phone 8 version too. But at first I have to learn more of developing apps for that platform. Because I love new tile based Microsoft image :)

I agree with one point. Not many people have tablets with Windows 8 on board. Me too. I have laptop with casual screen :( There are too expensive at the moment. In the price range of e.g. Surface Pro I can aslo buy new smartphone, new laptop and quite good pc...

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Kxrekorikus on April 29, 2013, 03:07:26 AM
No I do not want consider making a web app for all tablets 'cause I want learn how to develop Win8 Apps.
If the purpose is just to learn to develop 8 apps, I can understand. :)

Have you considered open-sourcing it when it's finished? If so, someone else might wish to port it. This is the first modern UI app I've seen that actually looks really nice!

I really like the Modern UI and Win8.
I know far too many who don't, especially on a PC. The product itself is nice, but the "shove it on a normal PC" strategy MS used was a disaster. I played with it on a friend's x86 tablet and it really does work well as a tablet OS. The problem is the usability (or rather lack thereof) on normal non-touch PCs. It gets in your way and when I used it for a month or two on a test PC, I couldn't be productive.

Now on second partition I have leaked Windows 8.1 (Windows Blue) and I can say it will bring some more functionalities to Start Screen.
I haven't downloaded 8.1 since I got rid of my test box (gave to sister as a PC when she moved). What's been changed in it?

Eltusiyu

If the purpose is just to learn to develop 8 apps, I can understand. :)

Have you considered open-sourcing it when it's finished? If so, someone else might wish to port it. This is the first modern UI app I've seen that actually looks really nice!

That's the point.

Here is another screenshot. I think this is how the app will look like (more or less).
http://kxangangang.files.wordpress.com/2013/04/learnnavihomescreen1.png
If I finish it... Sure. If someone would like to translate it or port it. There is no problem :)

Tsmuktengan

I think this would be awsome. I do not have Windows 8 neither yet. You manage to make your app look nice while keeping it readable.  :)