Community Projects > Mobile Apps

Porting Learn Na'vi to Android

(1/14) > >>

Seze:
I have finally decided to begin porting the Learn Na'vi App that I've been building for iPhone over to the Android platform.  I have not used the Android SDK yet, so it may be a little while before I have anything ready to be released.  I most likely won't be able to put much time into it until I get a version of Learn Na'vi into the Apple App Store.  The Android version of Learn Na'vi will be open-source just like the iPhone version.  I will post a link to the repository once I get one setup.

Muzer:
Wow! I was actually planning (literally yesterday) to do something like this but from scratch. Are you psychic or something?

Does your app use the taronyu dictionary?

Seze:

--- Quote from: Muzer on May 20, 2010, 01:53:44 am ---Wow! I was actually planning (literally yesterday) to do something like this but from scratch. Are you psychic or something?

Does your app use the taronyu dictionary?

--- End quote ---

Yeah, my whole App is built on top of Taronyu's dictionary (which is built on Tuiq's system).  Everything the App uses content wise is all stored in an SQLite database.  Both Android and iPhone support SQLite, so I see no reason why both versions of the App can't use the exact same database.  No sense making separate databases.  Also, if you were wanting to get into Android Development, you should get involved with coding the App. I can point you to the repository once I get one built...

Muzer:
Yes, I'd very much like that. I've coded in many languages in the past, but never Java - it can't be that different though, I've heard it's similar to C# which I do know a bit about (unfortunately).

My eventual goal was to build a more "natural" Na'vi to English translator, since Na'vi seems to me like it would be an easy language to parse automatically (as opposed to English to Na'vi which would be very difficult).

omängum fra'uti:
It would be easier than English, but that's not saying much.  I don't think it will be trivial, as I've thought about what it would take just to verify grammar, without even trying to derive meaning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version