Alice in Wonderland

Started by Kerame Pxel Nume, March 05, 2010, 07:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerame Pxel Nume

As I announced in some other post (I'm too lazy too link here) I saw "Alice in Wonderland" tonight. I wouldn't have bothered, hadn't a few friends dragged me in.

The good news it: It wasn't a disappointment. The acting is pretty solid, the visual effects are decent but that's about it. I didn't feel the kind of, well I think "magic" would be the right word, other movies have.

In some scenes you can also plainly see, that the 3D was applied in post production. It's very prominent on the table on which the "Drink Me!" shrinking potion is placed: The tabletop is made of glass and you can see the tiled floor beneath it, however the tiles visible through the tables's glass seem to be located on the height of the tabletop.

My rating: * * * _ _ (3 of 5 stars)

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Alice in Wonderland was awesome!! the effects and all... like what I said in another thread, I envy her outfits! but I dunno.. the girl, umm Mia? well Alice was very pale in the beginning.

The movie was refreshing.. a little bit of comedy was in it, mysterious-ness, lessons about life and dreams or something.. and the world is really surreal.

the 3D effects was also a pretty touch XD

oh well I'm just blabbing about what my brain is saying..
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe on March 06, 2010, 09:23:01 AM

You have your opinion, I have mine. And it is good this way. Of course ma ayeylan here are are welcome to post their opionion of it. Irayo for your input.

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

Saw it last night, and it was all that I was expecting: An overwrought attempt at the strange with ill-managed 3-D effects. It ends up watchable, but quite dull and is wholly unengaging. I did actually quite enjoy the film prior to and following Alice's journey into Wonderland itself, and thought it looked a nice period set piece, but once we enter Burton's visual palette of the mainstream bizarre, it just falls flat.

From a technical standpoint, I wholly agree with the OP, in that the 3-D was sketchy all around and used oft-times to poor effect. The lighting levels and clarity were all over the map. I found that it worked best when it was used (as Cameron clearly already knew) not to make it look "3D!" but to merely enhance an existing appealing visual experience. I assumed this would be the case, for the new technology is undoubtedly to be taken up and overused as CGI was when it first came to the fore, creating works based upon the creative tools rather than solid narrative.

Now, I'm neither a fan of Tim Burton nor Alice in Wonderland to begin with, so my views on this film are a bit slanted. Despite this, I wouldn't say I didn't like it, but rather that as I thought immediately after we went down the rabbit hole, that I'd rather be on Pandora.

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Quote from: Kerame Pxel Nume on March 06, 2010, 09:53:14 AM
Quote from: Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe on March 06, 2010, 09:23:01 AM

You have your opinion, I have mine. And it is good this way. Of course ma ayeylan here are are welcome to post their opionion of it. Irayo for your input.

irayo for accepting it too :)

oh yea! I forgot to point out that I'm quite disappointed Alice didn't tell her sister about her fiancé cheating on herr..

@Ayfa'liyä omumyu: I'm not a fan of the director/movie too to begin with.. in fact, I used to think it was kinda creepy. but it was a long time ago XD

'Itan Atxur

I found the movie to be very average, which is to say it was very disappointing for a Tim Burton film.

Many of the books famous lines are missing. You pretty much never hear "Your late" and when you do, it's not from the rabbit.

Also, the Cat doesn't play a big enough role IMO, The Mad Hatter isn't mad enough, and seriously... wheres the white queen?!?!?! She hardly has a role at all!!

The movie is just WAY too short.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Okay, so a bit early, but as we have people who have seen it: Predict please? How many weeks (2? 3?) until IMAX theater managers are complaining? :D
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

it appears that many doesn't like the movie. I have to admit I liked it.. but I might be wrong as I don't know if I ever watch other Tim Burton movies, or even watch the old Alice in Wonderland properly. So forgive me as my views are based differently. :)

Tsa'räni

You can't be wrong in whether you like a movie or not.   ;)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Yeah, I just want to know if anyone liked it. That is all.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

@Tsa'räni: :D thanks..
@Kaltxì Palulukan: yeaah.. well it's pretty good.

'Itan Atxur

I think word of mouth will kill Alice. I don't think it lasts too long.

MaTe

Oh, the official Alice bashing thread, VERY NICE!

Just saw it... that 3d bandwagon being jumped.
Visual - outdated, LOTR quality, transformers have better.
Acting - good... but there is too much dead weight in this movie for depp and hathaway to carry (Mia is fine)
Story - coherent, but boring, can't draw into it. Would be good story for a properly done movie.
Direction - awful... boring scenes, out of place music that should match your emotions... but you don't have any...

My friends told me it's bad... should have listened... Why those guys can't hire Pixar crew for their next 300mil family blockbuster? Those people Always hit the spot and make an interesting one for kids and big kids.

Guess I'll have to see Avatar again to restore soul-peace and sanity... local theater adds 3 more 3d shows per day on Friday :)

PS: I like this quote from MPAA: "PG for fantasy action/violence involving scary images and situations, and for a smoking caterpillar". Yeah, smoking caterpillar is cool... if you go to see this, you'd better smoke something...
Also Hathaway is a lovely gothic queen :)
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Kaltxì Palulukan!

^^

(perk!)

Did someone say "gothic queen?" (although gothic bride, princess, peasant girl, nun--okay, maybe that's over the line--would be nice too)

Well, I just wanted to see what people thought of Alice, seeing as it is the "official movie to displace Avatar." So what is thi about "adding 3 3D showings on Friday. Are you saying that your theater mangaer is wise enough to reinstate some Avatar? Or is that just wishful gothic hottie drooling thinking on my part?

MaTe

It was down to 3 real 3d shows per day for this week (from 4 IMAX, 3 reald3d a week before). will get 6 reald3d this friday and into next week.
Yes she is awesome in being gothic while wearing only white, in a cute and fuzzy way :)
What's so special about it?
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Txur’Itan

In short, I liked it enough that I will watch it again someday, but not like I did with Star Trek, AVATAR or STARWARS, or Goonies, LOTR.  

I think it is better than Harry Potter and Percy Jackson, but more or less in the same vein of soft core fantasy as far movies go.

私は太った男だ。

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I didn't bother with Percy Jackson. It just seemed to "Harry Potter" of the Olympians to me. I am hoping Clash of the Titans will be good enough to watch BEFORE I ever go see Alice. Bah! $10 more todaay and I would have gone to see Avatar (somewhere). Maybe I missed some money today. I will check tomorrow. It is quite possible I made an extra $10 today and never noticed. If that is the case, then I am down for Avatar on Satruday or Sunday.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 11, 2010, 08:47:23 PM
I didn't bother with Percy Jackson. It just seemed to "Harry Potter" of the Olympians to me. I am hoping Clash of the Titans will be good enough to watch BEFORE I ever go see Alice. Bah! $10 more todaay and I would have gone to see Avatar (somewhere). Maybe I missed some money today. I will check tomorrow. It is quite possible I made an extra $10 today and never noticed. If that is the case, then I am down for Avatar on Satruday or Sunday.

Percy Jackson > Harry Potthead  ;D
私は太った男だ。

'Itan Atxur

The Harry potter books are excellent IMO. The movies, not so much.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Avatar Sunday! (Alice, not so much)