Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Aang

Started by ShadowMainZERO, April 13, 2010, 01:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ean Hufwetulyu

This weekend the new 3D movie The Last Airbender is coming out. So who is going to see it and how do you think it will be as live-action, and do you think they will follow the book from the show?
Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I'm a loyal fan of the show so I'll probably see it but I'm a little disappointed that they "whitewashed it", having almost every main character changed to white when there wasn't a single white person in the show. It won't change the quality of the movie but if your going to copy something you should do it as accurately as possible. Hopefully Shyamalan stopped himself from adding any nonsensical twists to the plot. I'm also curious to see how comedy will be pulled off in the film, it was a pretty big part of the series.
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Hawnuyu atxen

Than i'm the one, who'll tell you:
There's already an AtLA thread, just a bit downer!
Or here ;)

EDIT: TXUR'ITAN - Merged Threads
"Hrrap rä'ä si olo'ur smuktuä." ; "Ke'u ke lu ngay. Frakemit tung." (Assassin's Creed)

Nikre tsa'usìn!

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ean Hufwetulyu on June 28, 2010, 05:14:49 PM
This weekend the new 3D movie The Last Airbender is coming out. So who is going to see it and how do you think it will be as live-action, and do you think they will follow the book from the show?

I think opinions vary, but no one here has seen the movie, you can not easily make an informed judgement without having seen the movie first hand.

If I might suggest, you should see it for yourself, and take some time to enjoy the entertainment value if it is there, and form your own opinions after having seen the movie.

The reason I suggest this is, the creators from the TV show are directly involved and collaborators on the planned movie trilogy (Books 1,2,3), so they had to contribute to the triage for the shorter time, and up the anti on the visual spectacles that will appear in front of the camera.  

That Said...

The Martial arts choreography will be the most concerning item for me, but I think I will go see this once, and see for myself if it is any good.  

Many of the sets are real not CGI, focusing the CGI on the bending, and creature effects.

M. Knight has been hit or miss with some of his movies.  But, his biggest fans and critics for this particular story are his own kids, and they will never forgive him if he screws this up, they are huge fans of the show.

There is some controversy about the casting decisions, (Aang played by Noah Ringer, is sited as the most controversial for him not being of Asian decent, however take note of the look of the creator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Dante_DiMartino).  These controversies do not effect me, but some people have dug in their heels on hating this film for it.

Some places to do some reading...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Airbender
http://www.thelastairbendermovie.com/
私は太った男だ。

MaTe

Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

never evar listen to critics XD, I say go with the the general public, the RT community gave it 75%. Every movie deserves to be watched before you judge it, If I had listened to some of the critics of avatar I wouldn't be here right now.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: MaTe on June 30, 2010, 03:06:31 PM
I WAS going to see it...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/last_airbender/

It isn't out yet.  If you have to base your decisions off of reviews, let it rack up at least 100 or so.  By then some people may change their opinion.  The large bulk of these negative reviews could be those who decided to hate this movie purely on its casting choices, and are targeting it based on that reason alone.  There isn't anything controversial happening with Toy Story...

TLAB
Reviews Counted:24
Fresh:1
Rotten:23
Average Rating:3.1/10

For comparison...

Toy Story
Reviews Counted:203
Fresh:200 Rotten:3
Average Rating:8.8/10

The reviews on IMDB are looking more evenly divided and have some details behind their ratings.
私は太った男だ。

MaTe

I don't see them being "evenly divided" there...
Anyway, from my experience, RT rating is no more than 20% off my rating, so I would definetly not go this weekend.
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Txur’Itan

Things are not looking good for TLAB

Reviews Counted:71
Fresh:4
Rotten:67
Average Rating:3/10
私は太った男だ。

Ean Hufwetulyu

i think it also depends on the people saw it.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ean Hufwetulyu on July 01, 2010, 04:06:48 PM
i think it also depends on the people saw it.

Yeah, I saw some people posting on Fandango "Must GO"  But leaving no reviews.

The chatty ones are the haters so far.
私は太った男だ。

Ean Hufwetulyu

see only haters love to hate what they dont like

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: sezawte on April 13, 2010, 10:45:36 AM
...it's slightly annoying that it shares the name of the film :P

I was thinking this too when I first saw the J.C. AVATAR commercial.
[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Txur’Itan

OK Before I speak on... I must declare that I enjoy the Show ATLAB very immensely, and it has an endearing quality to all of its characters.

私は太った男だ。

Kekerusey

I saw Shaylaman's "Sixth Sense" and thought it was a bit ... well ... obvious, nothing else he's done has appealed to me and most of it gets poorly reviewed.

Seems "Airbender", despite the trailer looking PDG, is more of the same:

The Last Airbender Movie Review

Rotten Tomatoes gives "The Last Airbender" 9% at time of writing (compare that with Avatar at 83%).

Ain't It Cool News gives it a fairly damning review.

I'm not much one for what critics say (many of the reviews I saw of Avatar were poor though I admit I saw them in hindsight) but a few sites are worth the effort ... I won't be going to see it.

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Ftiafpi

Neither will I be going to see it, I don't trust one bad review but when they're ALL bad reviews, I assume they're getting it right.

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

There is no right or wrong for watching movies, besides 99.99% of those critics probably have never seen the show in the first place. I think that if someone is a fan of the show, they'll like the movie at least somewhat.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on July 02, 2010, 12:00:09 PM
There is no right or wrong for watching movies, besides 99.99% of those critics probably have never seen the show in the first place. I think that if someone is a fan of the show, they'll like the movie at least somewhat.

http://forum.learnnavi.org/movies/avatar-the-last-airbenderthe-legend-of-aang/msg253594/#msg253594
私は太った男だ。

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 02, 2010, 01:39:55 PM
http://forum.learnnavi.org/movies/avatar-the-last-airbenderthe-legend-of-aang/msg253594/#msg253594
Still, it seems it's worth at least one watch through, just won't pay for 3-d probably. Even if I don't see it in theaters I'll most likely at least rent it, I think they at least deserve that much for the effort and time put into it.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on July 02, 2010, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 02, 2010, 01:39:55 PM
Still, it seems it's worth at least one watch through, just won't pay for 3-d probably. Even if I don't see it in theaters I'll most likely at least rent it, I think they at least deserve that much for the effort and time put into it.

That is always the best approach.  At the very least, you can decide for yourself.  Negativity and Positivity is always subjective and not a rule or a fact, just an opinion based on perspective.
私は太った男だ。