Avatar: The Last Airbender/The Legend of Aang

Started by ShadowMainZERO, April 13, 2010, 01:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on July 02, 2010, 12:00:09 PMThere is no right or wrong for watching movies, besides 99.99% of those critics probably have never seen the show in the first place. I think that if someone is a fan of the show, they'll like the movie at least somewhat.

Actaully I got the impression (from the vids) that the fans felt little but betrayal and there wasn't enough to interest the casual viewer. I'll never know for sure though so you may be right :)

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Kekerusey on July 02, 2010, 03:40:05 PM
Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on July 02, 2010, 12:00:09 PMThere is no right or wrong for watching movies, besides 99.99% of those critics probably have never seen the show in the first place. I think that if someone is a fan of the show, they'll like the movie at least somewhat.

Actaully I got the impression (from the vids) that the fans felt little but betrayal and there wasn't enough to interest the casual viewer. I'll never know for sure though so you may be right :)

Keke

The most professional Movie critics are Movie Critics exclusively, not TV show, comic-book or novel critics.  They don't make time to check the source material, and be up to date on canon.  So everything they see is what the movie presents on its own, as compared to other movies and not really much else.
私は太った男だ。

Hufwe ta'em

That gonna be the worst summer movie ever !!!

Kekerusey

Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 02, 2010, 04:58:22 PMThe most professional Movie critics are Movie Critics exclusively, not TV show, comic-book or novel critics.  They don't make time to check the source material, and be up to date on canon.  So everything they see is what the movie presents on its own, as compared to other movies and not really much else.

Not sure what your point is ... seems to me that "professional" critics are often out of touch with what "thu peepul" want or like and that reviewers like the ones I linked to are often more so.

We're you being negative or positive about the pro's"?

Keke

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Kekerusey on July 06, 2010, 09:50:35 AM
Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 02, 2010, 04:58:22 PMThe most professional Movie critics are Movie Critics exclusively, not TV show, comic-book or novel critics.  They don't make time to check the source material, and be up to date on canon.  So everything they see is what the movie presents on its own, as compared to other movies and not really much else.

Not sure what your point is ... seems to me that "professional" critics are often out of touch with what "thu peepul" want or like and that reviewers like the ones I linked to are often more so.

We're you being negative or positive about the pro's"?

Keke

I tend to read the writing of critics to see what is being said, and I find that they do not justify their points of view since opinions are relative to what they like and dislike and not as well informed as they would have readers believe.  I always think it would be important to know why critics like or dislike certain things.  I see repeated phrases that are meant to have meaning about what they disliked or liked about a feature, but I can not say for certain that I understand why these things are important for them to like a movie or not without speaking with them more frequently.  

From a video Games perspective, I have met Adam Sessler, a video game critic, a couple of times, and was fortunate enough along with some other people to watch him live at a developer's conference, I still know that his opinion is biased, but I still find him entertaining, especially his show's way of rating games.  But, even video-game critics can be uniformed, opinionated and biased, but that is the nature of opinion.  

My point is simple enough to explain I think.  

IN short: People can choose to agree or disagree with opinions, I tend to be critical of critics.  What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

The long way around: All points of view usually may be justified to exist, regardless of how sensible or insensible that justification may be.  I often think most people would want to know what that justification is, or investigate further than just reading an opinion they wrote, and blindly agreeing with it.  I do some research on critics, and read comparative reviews and I can incorporate some of what they write into my perspective, but I tend to be very surgical about my entertainment.

I always try to understand the motivations of someone giving me an opinion before I trust it or follow any advice that would be derived from it.

If someone makes an uninformed and seemingly arbitrary opinion, it is less valuable to me.  Depending on how seriously uninformed such an opinion is, it can become completely useless to me particularly.  

Quite often, the opinions of critics is uninformed on some level, and ultimately they may generally like or dislike things that I like or dislike.  However, it may be for completely different reasons that only I can weigh the value of for myself.  I try to learn more about what informs these opinions as opposed to blindly trusting the opinions of others whose motivations may be skewed at the point of providing said opinion.  

For an extreme example, covering the reasoning behind mentioning Adam earlier, Adam responded to something Roger Ebert had done, that was in short, very dumb... You could search for Roger Ebert (video-games can not be art.) if you haven't heard about it yet, but I think everyone knows a bit about this particular story by now.

One of the most acclaimed and recognized american movie critics, Roger Ebert, knows nothing of video-games, admitted not knowing about video-games, forms an opinion about video-games, publishes this unfounded opinion, but has no valid reasoning for it.  Naturally he is ripped apart because he over generalized, because there is a rabid fan base of people who disagree with him, and were effortlessly able to determine that he did not know enough about video-games to mask his ignorance.  Roger redacted his opinion slightly, shortly after he was blasted by knowledgeable gamers and video-game press.  When it comes to movies, Roger has an ability to mask this ignorance of source material, and he has done nothing different in the way he writes his opinions for years.  This specific mistake was obvious enough for people to spot it, but it is no different than any other opinion he renders, it is based on what he thinks, believes, and knows about movies, and about art.  

私は太った男だ。

ShadowMainZERO

I trust Rotten Tomatoes simply because they pull reviews from all over North America. So what they say is usually correct. As for the movie...

I hated it. I was ready to walk out in the middle of it. Toy Story 3 was worth it though.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

Ean Hufwetulyu

Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 06, 2010, 03:32:52 PMI tend to read the writing of critics to see what is being said, and I find that they ...

Thanks for explaining ... for the most part I agree.

Keke

Niawve Mokri

The movie was really good. I'm also a fan of the TV show myself. Can't wait to see the next movie.

Txur’Itan

I went back to see it again in 3D, then again in 2D (I was bored), to see if the 3D was effecting my experience.

When I decided to think of it as a bad movie, for some reason I started to like it a little bit more. 

I am still very disappointed.  If book two is made I will probably watch it, maybe M Knight will have learned to do some things differently.  Somehow, I think that they did not turn a profit based on the money figures so far.  I think we may have to wait ten years for some other movie maker to think a completely new slant on the TLAB Franchise and a reboot will happen then.
私は太った男だ。

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 09, 2010, 12:59:19 PM
I went back to see it again in 3D, then again in 2D (I was bored), to see if the 3D was effecting my experience.

When I decided to think of it as a bad movie, for some reason I started to like it a little bit more. 

I am still very disappointed.  If book two is made I will probably watch it, maybe M Knight will have learned to do some things differently.  Somehow, I think that they did not turn a profit based on the money figures so far.  I think we may have to wait ten years for some other movie maker to think a completely new slant on the TLAB Franchise and a reboot will happen then.
Well, maybe it will be like The Hulk and they're only wait a few years to reboot it.

Txur’Itan

Budget
•    $150,000,000 (estimated)
USA
Latest gross: $79,040,879 (7 July 2010)

|Date|Rank|Sites|Average|Weekend/Daily|Gross|
|2010 Jul 1|2|3,169|$5,159|$16,350,000|$16,350,000|
|2010 Jul 2|2|3,169|$16,347|$51,804,232|$69,315,329|
|2010 Jul 6|3|3,169|$1,699|$5,385,151|$74,700,480|
|2010 Jul 7|3|3,169|$1,369|$4,340,399|$79,040,879|

It is astounding to me that a movie can fail after selling $80,000,000 in tickets.  It happens more often than not these days.  I think ticket prices are partially to blame, and marketing costs are too high now.
私は太った男だ。

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

I think its more due to the success of the show than ticket prices. A movie like this would be nothing without the show, most of what I was thinking about while watching it really was comparing it with the counterpart episodes. (which I really would have preferably watched in the theater)
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn on July 09, 2010, 03:19:11 PM
I think its more due to the success of the show than ticket prices. A movie like this would be nothing without the show, most of what I was thinking about while watching it really was comparing it with the counterpart episodes. (which I really would have preferably watched in the theater)

I think anyone would know that the popularity of the show is the reason there are any people interested in this movie in any way.

However, I think my actual point was misunderstood because I did not clarify a couple of things a bit more.

I think there probably would have been more movie goers if the prices were lower, and if budgetary costs were lower there would have been a higher percentage of profitability, or potential for profit.

There was a time when making 65 million was considered a blockbuster, and it was not all that long ago.
私は太った男だ。

Kekerusey

Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 09, 2010, 12:59:19 PMWhen I decided to think of it as a bad movie, for some reason I started to like it a little bit more.

That sounds like me ... when I expect a movie to be good I am usually disappointed but if I don't expect much of it, it can be (the very same movie could be) quite entertaining.

In this case, given the fact that I have [now] fairly low expectations it's only my general dislike of Shaylaman's movies that stops me wasting my money.

I'd be interesting in hearing what others here have to say though.

Keke

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Kekerusey on July 10, 2010, 02:18:46 AM
Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 09, 2010, 12:59:19 PMWhen I decided to think of it as a bad movie, for some reason I started to like it a little bit more.

That sounds like me ... when I expect a movie to be good I am usually disappointed but if I don't expect much of it, it can be (the very same movie could be) quite entertaining.

In this case, given the fact that I have [now] fairly low expectations it's only my general dislike of Shaylaman's movies that stops me wasting my money.

I'd be interesting in hearing what others here have to say though.

Keke

Who else has gone to see it?
私は太った男だ。

Kekerusey

Quote from: Txur'Itan on July 10, 2010, 09:04:19 AMWho else has gone to see it?

Um ... that a trick question? I've no idea!

Keke

Ean Hufwetulyu

love the movie, but one thing was wrong Zoku didnt much of a scar :(
Eywa Ngahu Smukan si Smuke.

ShadowMainZERO

Quote from: Ean Hufwetulyu on July 10, 2010, 11:47:55 PM
love the movie, but one thing was wrong Zoku didnt much of a scar :(

Zuko had a scar in the movie? And if that's the only problem you saw, well...

As for the "wait ten years for a new reboot" thing, that is unlikely. If anything we might see a movie based on Avatar: The Legend of Korra.

Come join the adventure in Strange Lands: A Pandoran RP!

The ultimate power is found in the incorruptible light hidden deep in the darkness. You must delve into the darkest part of your heart and find that light. Once you do, never let go of it. Remember: Your heart is the greatest weapon of all.

Kayrìlien