Blair Witch/Paranormal Activity

Started by 'Itan Atxur, April 01, 2010, 09:06:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scary: Yes or no?

Yes. At least one of those movies is the scariest I've ever seen
2 (25%)
Yes. At least one of those movies is very scary.
0 (0%)
Meh, they've got their moments.
4 (50%)
Not really, like, at all.
1 (12.5%)
I don't find them scary but I do see why people might think they are.
1 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

'Itan Atxur

Okay, so back when Blair Witch came out, it was by far the scariest movie I'd ever seen... and it still is to this day... maybe. It's supremacy as scariest movie for me has been challenged and perhaps surpassed by the recent Paranormal Activity.

Pre Blair Witch normal ghost movies were enough to scare me like any normal horror movie fan. But since Blair Witch the only movie which has even come close is another shaky cam documentary style movie (paranormal). How about you guys? So many people stare at me weird when I tell them I think these movies are terrifying.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Tsa'räni

I voted for the middle one mainly because I don't find movies very scary overall.

The last 10 minutes of the Blair Witch, though, was fantastic.  Coming down the stairs to see the guy standing in the corner was one of the better moments in horror cinema.  I haven't seen Paranormal Activity, so I can't comment on that.

I will also add that I thought The Ring had a few creepy moments, especially when the girl crawls out of the TV near the end.

'Itan Atxur

I totally see your point of view. And yeah, that final scene is pretty great. I'm actually watching the movie now.

Ring is also a great movie with some genuinly creepy moments, it's just not as consistant as the other 2 imo. If I had to choose a 3rd, I'd go with house on haunted hill (1959) mainly because it's so old that the effects are so bad, they actually work. Excellent story and acting to boot as well as the creepiest house ever concieved... and it's a real house not a set! (though the interior was a set)

Emtokay

i read online that Blair Witch was a true story which happened about 4 years before the film was made
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

'Itan Atxur

You know that's not true, right? That was just to generate hype.

Tsa'räni

It was a brilliant method of marketing the movie.  Tons of people went to the movie thinking it was real and were scared even more because of it.  Sadly, many of those people also said they didn't like it nearly as much once they found out it was fake.  Which makes no sense to me, but whatever.

Niwantaw

night of the living dead wins by defult in the scary department
or at least te zombie department
Only mostly AWOL.

'Itan Atxur

Niwantaw

Only mostly AWOL.

Neykun

I've never actually watched Blair Witch, but I saw Paranormal Activity in the theater with a friend with it came out.  It was interesting, but not really that scary.  Half way through the movie she whispered to me "is this serious?".. like "is it actually supposed to be scary or is it a joke?".  It's just not the kind of thing that creeps me (or her) out I guess.

anyway.. yea, thumbs down to Paranormal Activity for scary-ness, thumbs up for entertainment ;D

If you want to see a real scary movie, watch the original Alien, or Aliens.  Can't beat the classics.
~insert awesome signature here~

'Itan Atxur

I don't find the whole "whats around the corner sudden loud noise" stuff scary personally. I LOVE the Alien series though.

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Neykun on April 02, 2010, 08:44:50 PM

I personally consider this the scariest moment ever in any movie. Lol.

Niwantaw

Alien is scary
aliens is not so scary but more explodsions were involved in it
Only mostly AWOL.

'Itan Atxur

I really loved Alien. I'm ashamed to say I haven't seen the sequel. I liked it more for the story and acting though, and not for the fear factor.

Neykun

I didn't like the sequel quite as much as the original though.  Doesn't that seem to be the case with an awful lot of movies?  I hope the Avatar sequels don't disappoint.  Anyway, you're right about the acting in Alien.  It seems like it's either good acting or good special effects in movies now days, but not both. :-\
~insert awesome signature here~

Niwantaw

Quote from: Neykun on April 03, 2010, 07:39:05 PM
I didn't like the sequel quite as much as the original though.  Doesn't that seem to be the case with an awful lot of movies?  I hope the Avatar sequels don't disappoint.  Anyway, you're right about the acting in Alien.  It seems like it's either good acting or good special effects in movies now days, but not both. :-\
obviously excluding avatar.
Only mostly AWOL.

'Itan Atxur

I have full confidence in Mr. Cameron. But justl look at how bad the sequel to Blair Witch was!

(Yay!! Post 3000!!! Only the second member to achieve this!!)

Emtokay

Quote from: Tawtute akawng on April 02, 2010, 08:49:00 PM
Alien is scary
aliens is not so scary but more explodsions were involved in it

At least it has Sigourney Weaver in it
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Niwantaw

i prefere aliens it just isn't scary and i don't think it was meant to be
Only mostly AWOL.

Emtokay

i thught predator was scary until i saw the Alien movies