Main Menu

Casanova

Started by Kì'eyawn, November 06, 2010, 10:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kì'eyawn

Hi all, just wanted to say i've recently become completely infatuated with the BBC's Casanova, starring David Tennant and Peter O'Toole.  I've also seen the Heath Ledger film, and while i think Ledger was a formidable actor whom i greatly miss, i didn't much care for that particular film.

Anyway, you can see the opening scene of the BBC production here:

Casanova (BBC, 2005)
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Nyx

I've only seen that clip and I love it already. Thanks for posting this, I'll watch the movie asap :D

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Nyx on November 07, 2010, 06:19:48 AM
I've only seen that clip and I love it already. Thanks for posting this, I'll watch the movie asap :D

Nìprrte', ma 'eylan.  I'm a little bit in love with this movie now—there are plans afoot for me to cosplay Casanova sometime in the nearish future...
eo Eywa oe 'ia

ToktorGrace

Lol I think it may be a little too British for me ... (given the first thing he says, is, afterall "bollox!")

I really liked the Casanova 2006 film because it was just so silly and giddy... obviously it isnt historically accurate but it was just fun to watch. Especially the older couple :3 (That AND one of my close friends looks like the girl's brother).
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Truro (Tìvawm'ia) on November 09, 2010, 06:35:42 PM
Lol I think it may be a little too British for me ... (given the first thing he says, is, afterall "bollox!")

I dunno; it's certainly British in that they decided the way to show Casanova was not the aristocrat he pretended to be was to give him a fairly standard English accent, whereas the high-born characters have the more formal, "stuffy" sort of English accent that Americans associate with boring history lessons and such.  But beyond the accents i didn't think it felt too terribly British—it actually had a run on American tv, from what i understand (edited for, erm, naughty bits, of course...).

QuoteI really liked the Casanova 2006 film because it was just so silly and giddy... obviously it isnt historically accurate but it was just fun to watch. Especially the older couple :3

I probably need to watch it again on its own merits.  I was expecting a retelling of the Casanova story, and it really...wasn't that.

That being said, Jeremy Irons was a completely awesome villain—no surprise  ;)  Visually it was gorgeous, and the story was very sweet.  And it actually is fairly accurate as far as things like costuming and politics go—but the details of the story are very much fiction.  But if i come across a Francesca in Casanova's memoirs, i'll be sure to let you know what the "real" story is...

Quote...AND one of my close friends looks like the girl's brother.

Teehee.  I can totally understand liking it, then ;)
eo Eywa oe 'ia