Disney says it is buying LucasFilm

Started by Toruk Makto, October 30, 2012, 04:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Makto

www.washingtonpost.com/business/disney-says-it-is-buying-star-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405-billion-from-george-lucas/2012/10/30/dc0ace18-22cc-11e2-92f8-7f9c4daf276a_story.html

Disney to make new 'Star Wars' movies, buy Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion from George Lucas

AP - Disney is paying $4.05 billion to buy Lucasfilm Ltd., the production company behind "Star Wars," from its chairman and founder, George Lucas. It's also making a seventh movie in the "Star Wars" series.

LOS ANGELES — A decade after George Lucas said "Star Wars" was finished on the big screen, a new trilogy is destined for theaters after The Walt Disney Co. announced Tuesday that it was buying Lucasfilm Ltd. for $4.05 billion.

The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said Lucas, chairman and CEO of Lucasfilm Ltd. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime."

Disney CEO Bob Iger said Lucusfilm had already developed an extensive story line on the next trilogy, and Episode 7 was now in early-stage development.

The Walt Disney Co. announced the blockbuster agreement to buy Lucasfilm in cash and stock Tuesday. The deal includes Lucasfilm's prized high-tech production companies, Industrial Light & Magic and Skywalker Sound, as well as rights to the "Indiana Jones" franchise.

Iger said in a statement that the acquisition is a great fit and will help preserve and grow the "Star Wars" franchise.

"The last 'Star Wars' movie release was 2005's 'Revenge of the Sith' — and we believe there's substantial pent-up demand," Iger said.

Kathleen Kennedy, the current co-chairman of Lucasfilm, will become the division's president and report to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn.

The deal brings Lucasfilm under the Disney banner with other brands including Pixar, Marvel, ESPN and ABC, all companies that Disney has acquired over the years. A former weatherman who rose through the ranks of ABC, Iger has orchestrated some of the company's biggest acquisitions, including the $7.4 billion purchase of animated movie studio Pixar in 2006 and the $4.2 billion acquisition of comic book giant Marvel in 2009.

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Kekerusey

Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Toruk Makto

Maybe they will call the 7th film, "The Evil Empire Strikes Again".

Tìtstewan

Quote from: Toruk Makto on October 30, 2012, 04:45:02 PM
Maybe they will call the 7th film, "The Evil Empire Strikes Again".

??? :-X ;D
--------------------------------
Ma oeyä Eywa, kehe!!!
...I can't undertand this :(

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Kamean

More 3 SW series? It's something wrong... :(
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Kekerusey

Take a look at the list of Science Fiction films Disney has been involved with (list off internet) ...
  • John Carter [2012]
  • Mars Needs Moms [2011]
  • TRON Legacy [2010]
  • Race to Witch Mountain [2009]
  • Wall E [2008]
  • Minutemen [2008]
  • Pixel Perfect [2004]
  • Up, Up, and Away [2000]
  • Stepsister From Planet Weird [2000]
  • Other Me, The [2000]
  • My Favourite Martian [1999]
  • Smart House [1999]
  • Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century [1999]
  • Knight In Camelot, A [1998]
  • Flubber [1997]
  • Rocket Man [1997]
  • Rocketeer [1991]
  • Flight of the Navigator [1986]
  • Tron [1982]
  • Cat from Outer Space, The [1978]
  • Return from Witch Mountain [1978]
  • Escape to Witch Mountain [1975]
  • Now You See Him, Now You Don't [1972]
  • Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The [1969]
  • Monkey's Uncle, The [1965]
  • Misadventures of Merlin Jones, The [1964]
  • Son of Flubber [1963]
  • Moon Pilot [1962]
  • Absent-Minded Professor, The [1961]

I can tell it's not complete as "The Black Hole" and "Avengers Assemble" (the latter admittedly excellent though I suspect Josh Whedon, who is a god, was the reason rather than anything specific Disney added to the franchise) aren't on it (does that mean all the other Avenger individual films were Disney?) but assuming that and the ones I just mention are it ... anyone see many good ones?

I admit to a soft spot for "Flight Of The Navigator" and I reserve judgement on "John Carter" since I actually wanted to see it but then heard many bad things about it) but outside of that I don't see Disney as a Science Fiction movie company, certainly not much for live action type ones.

Love them though I do the Star Wars films were cutesy enough at times and I can only see that getting worse under Disney because of its family oriented nature ... I mean we're talking about the same company that removed a certain bloody scene from "Avengers Assemble" (DVD & Blue Ray) as it was apparently considered a little too shocking for us Brits.

So I say (as an atheist obviously), "Dear god NO!"

Keke

MaTe

the last 3 SW movies were pretty much Disney, so I don't think much will be lost... though any gains are also out of question.

Yet another studio (after Pixar) goes "fast food style". Brave is tied for me with Prometheus for "biggest false hopes of the year". :)
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Kekerusey

Quote from: MaTe on November 01, 2012, 03:13:49 AMthe last 3 SW movies were pretty much Disney, so I don't think much will be lost... though any gains are also out of question.

Yet another studio (after Pixar) goes "fast food style". Brave is tied for me with Prometheus for "biggest false hopes of the year". :)

Bah Humbug! Although I think the original trilogy had a magic about them that you rarely get in sequels (or prequels) the prequels were, IMNSHO, very good ... particularly "Revenge".

I'm actually beginning to feel somewhat more optimistic ... Lucas is staying on in a consultative role and, if the Marvel & Pixar purchases are anything to go by, it looks like Disney gives them more-or-less complete creative autonomy so maybe it isn't all bad?

Before Avatar (still my favourite all-time film) there was Star Wars, they were my favourite before and come in a very, very close second now ... I loved the originals, the prequels weren't anywhere near as bad as the cynics seem to think (2 & 3 were pretty damned good, especially 3) and ... well ... who knows?

I think I'm beginning to think, go Star Wars, To Infinity & Beyond :)

Keke

Toruk Makto

Quote from: MaTe on November 01, 2012, 03:13:49 AM
the last 3 SW movies were pretty much Disney, so I don't think much will be lost... though any gains are also out of question.

After JarJar Binks, what else could Disney possibly do to the thing?

Kekerusey

Quote from: Toruk Makto on November 01, 2012, 03:23:12 PMAfter JarJar Binks, what else could Disney possibly do to the thing?

Whilst I get why people hate Binks so much, I think that hatred is largely ignorant of the key role the daft Gungan plays. Yes he's the fool but he's supposed to be (supposed to be just as irritating as you all find him to be), he's the fool who eventually brings about (firstly) the unification of two races sharing the same planet and later, following his promotion, is manipulated (by Darth Sidius) into bringing about the downfall of the largely peaceful Republic and the dawn of the The Empire.

Like him or not, JarJar was charismatically irritating, brilliantly digitised into the film and was, more than anything, there for very specific purpose. Indeed I wonder if Disney (should they act as more than mere financiers) will actually produce any character quite as important in plot terms ... the fool who brought down a galactic-wide civilization.

Keke

Kamean

QuoteAfter JarJar Binks, what else could Disney possibly do to the thing?
BooBoo Imperator. ;D ;D ;D

'Itan Atxur

I'm just excited for more Star Wars, despite not really being a huge fan of the series.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Kamean

Kekerusey

Quote from: 'Ite Atxur on November 01, 2012, 08:17:54 PM
I'm just excited for more Star Wars, despite not really being a huge fan of the series.

LOL ... now those were funny ;D

Keke

Niri Te

Quote from: Kekerusey on October 31, 2012, 01:39:05 AM
Take a look at the list of Science Fiction films Disney has been involved with (list off internet) ...
  • John Carter [2012]
  • Mars Needs Moms [2011]
  • TRON Legacy [2010]
  • Race to Witch Mountain [2009]
  • Wall E [2008]
  • Minutemen [2008]
  • Pixel Perfect [2004]
  • Up, Up, and Away [2000]
  • Stepsister From Planet Weird [2000]
  • Other Me, The [2000]
  • My Favourite Martian [1999]
  • Smart House [1999]
  • Zenon: Girl of the 21st Century [1999]
  • Knight In Camelot, A [1998]
  • Flubber [1997]
  • Rocket Man [1997]
  • Rocketeer [1991]
  • Flight of the Navigator [1986]
  • Tron [1982]
  • Cat from Outer Space, The [1978]
  • Return from Witch Mountain [1978]
  • Escape to Witch Mountain [1975]
  • Now You See Him, Now You Don't [1972]
  • Computer Wore Tennis Shoes, The [1969]
  • Monkey's Uncle, The [1965]
  • Misadventures of Merlin Jones, The [1964]
  • Son of Flubber [1963]
  • Moon Pilot [1962]
  • Absent-Minded Professor, The [1961]

I can tell it's not complete as "The Black Hole" and "Avengers Assemble" (the latter admittedly excellent though I suspect Josh Whedon, who is a god, was the reason rather than anything specific Disney added to the franchise) aren't on it (does that mean all the other Avenger individual films were Disney?) but assuming that and the ones I just mention are it ... anyone see many good ones?

I admit to a soft spot for "Flight Of The Navigator" and I reserve judgement on "John Carter" since I actually wanted to see it but then heard many bad things about it) but outside of that I don't see Disney as a Science Fiction movie company, certainly not much for live action type ones.

Love them though I do the Star Wars films were cutesy enough at times and I can only see that getting worse under Disney because of its family oriented nature ... I mean we're talking about the same company that removed a certain bloody scene from "Avengers Assemble" (DVD & Blue Ray) as it was apparently considered a little too shocking for us Brits.

So I say (as an atheist obviously), "Dear god NO!"

Keke

And the ONLY one that is in my movie collection, is "The Rocketeer", and ONLY because of the cool "Golden Age" aircraft that are in it.
MY FAVORITE MOVIES ARE: (The Envelope please)
Event Horizon
Flyboys
The Aviator  (The Howard Hughes movie)
The Andromeda Strain
We Were Soldiers
The Manchurian Candidate
Seven Days in May
The Abyss
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Toruk Makto

Event Horizon was one bizarro film, IMO.

Stranger Come Knocking

I think I died a little inside just now.

Princess Leia is so much bigger than any Disney princess.

*sobs in corner*
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Tirea Aean

I. STILL. cannot. believe. this.

STILL.

P.A.'li makto

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Kekerusey

Quote from: Niri Te on November 04, 2012, 05:39:20 AMAnd the ONLY one that is in my movie collection, is "The Rocketeer", and ONLY because of the cool "Golden Age" aircraft that are in it.

I admit there's not much in the list that floats my boat ... I want to see John Carter and yeah, "Rocketman" is good but isn't in my collection (not sure why). I did however, always have a weakness for "Flight Of The Navigator".

Keke