Documentaries?

Started by Kekerusey, November 06, 2010, 07:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

So, does anyone like documentaries and if so what kind?

I tend to like documentaries such as science ones. The BBC has a particularly good series of science review programs called "Horizon".

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Kì'eyawn

Hmm, i've never heard of "Horizon."  I'm hoping to become a science writer, so i should look into it.

I've not seen too many science documentaries, although i do like to watch science programs on tv.  I tend to watch a lot of documentaries on wildlife, philosophy and religion, and also occasionally on politics and war—when i can stomach it.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Fra'uri tìyawnur oe täpivìng nìwotx...

Lolet

I like the planet earth ones. They were the only movies I ever cried at.  ::)

Yayo

The most memorable one that I have watched would definately be "An Inconvenient Truth".
Other than that, I enjoy any and every documentary presented by Sir David Attenborough.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Kekerusey

Quote from: Kì'eyawn on November 06, 2010, 10:20:55 PMHmm, i've never heard of "Horizon."  I'm hoping to become a science writer, so i should look into it.

You can find a lot of good stuff from the Horizon series up on the torrents (you may even be able to spoof BBC's excellent iplayer by going via some proxy that hides your, presumed US, IP) ... the BBC does some seriously good science stuff, Professor Jim Al-Khalili's 3 part "Atom" for example. Horizon this year has covered cold death and it's uses in medicine, the death of the oceans,, what happened before the big band, is seeing believing, the human genome and asteroids ... all good stuff. Anything by Brian Cox (did a brilliant one on the trouble with gravity) and Michio Kaku is cool too.

EDIT: Wow! I didn't think it would embed that!

Keke

Emtokay

I'm stuck on the Military and History channels watching documentaries about War and other stuff military related
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Lolet

Do paranormal shows count?  ::)

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Kekerusey on November 07, 2010, 06:03:33 AM
EDIT: Wow! I didn't think it would embed that!

It embedded it, but for me there's a big unfriendly-looking black bar across the middle that says "NOT AVAILABLE IN YOUR AREA."

On the plus side, though, i was reading there are plans to international-ize iPlayer so us losers in the States can use it.  Then i'll be able to watch Doctor Who without waiting forever for it to come over here  :D
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Emtokay

Unlucky for you Americans, us Aussies get it here no problems, Doctor who I mean

Kekerusey

Quote from: Lolet Maticay Tsam'Tirea Omatikaya on November 07, 2010, 06:44:25 AMDo paranormal shows count?  ::)

I would say that a documentary at least deals with something generally accepted as fact or is an objective discussion of somethign that isn't. What "generally accepted" means is hard to say but I tend to define it as accepted generally within relatively modern academia and learned opinion.

Within that definition then my answer would be no.

Keke

Kekerusey

Quote from: Emtokay on November 08, 2010, 05:53:31 AMUnlucky for you Americans, us Aussies get it here no problems, Doctor who I mean

on BBC iPlayer?

Keke

Seykxetskxe te Vawm 'Ewan'ite (Kalin Kato)

Mostly any on Discovery Channel or History Channel, I do love Planet Earth and Life a lot. Which had more time to watch them more :P

Emtokay

Quote from: Kekerusey on November 08, 2010, 12:41:31 PM
Quote from: Emtokay on November 08, 2010, 05:53:31 AMUnlucky for you Americans, us Aussies get it here no problems, Doctor who I mean

on BBC iPlayer?

Keke

No, one of our ABC channels has it on Saturday nights

Kì'eyawn

Quote from: Emtokay on November 08, 2010, 11:59:33 PM
Quote from: Kekerusey on November 08, 2010, 12:41:31 PM

on BBC iPlayer?

Keke

No, one of our ABC channels has it on Saturday nights

Lucky.  We technically can get it on BBC America (which is one of those "premium" channels you have to pay gobs of money for), but because the entire American empire will collapse if the tv doesn't constantly send the message that you need to buy more stuff, a lot of times Doctor Who episodes are edited by some %$#@!head to squeeze in the omnipresent American commercials  >:(
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Eana Tanhì

i love everything about space, so i watch almoust every night documentaries on Discovery Science, it's space season ;D  me and my dad often watch different documentaries, but my favourite ones are about science

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Kì'eyawn

Ma oeyä smuktu, i think this thread has been substantially derailed—of which i myself am thoroughly guilty.

Ma Tsmukan Keke, i intend to reply to you, but with your permission i will do so in a PM, so that this thread can return to its original topic—that is, documentaries.  And ma Eana Tanhì, thank you for getting us back on track.

Edit: I've split the topic to help us get back on track.  The discussion of how science ought to respond to paranormal claims has been moved here.
eo Eywa oe 'ia

Txur’Itan

DOCUMENTARIES are a great way of exposing the lay person to the science of discovery, I love to watch many kinds, from animal and insect programs, to geological programs, to historical programs, to space exploration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Kingdom
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos:_A_Personal_Voyage

I even like some of the goofy documentaries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trekkies_(film)

Or fake ones.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Is_Spinal_Tap
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blair_witch_project
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Mighty_Wind

Or ones that are just pure entertainment value.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_of

私は太った男だ。

Kì'eyawn

Ooh, Cosmos.  Carl Sagan is my patron saint. 

I need to get through some of the newer BBC documentaries; they look amazing.  I've gotten through a little bit of The Blue Planet, but that's it.
eo Eywa oe 'ia