Main Menu

film making

Started by unìl mäkto, January 31, 2014, 04:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unìl mäkto

I joined a film studies class this semester! and guess what I convinced the teacher and other staff of our high school (with help) that at the end of the semester the whole class should make a big movie together! and we got permission i'm super hyped right now i was just wondering if you all had any tips about the filming and editing process or just in general.

about it
we already have a semi solid base for the plot and the location will be our school, I want it to be about 60 min but in reality it will probably be just over 30 and i'm discussing funding with the local theater as well!!

Txantslusam Skxawng

I've been watching this youtube channel for awhile now and they give some good tips, definitely worth watching. They are not professionals, but they do a lot of experience as you can see by their videos.

Pro Tips!!

They give some real good tips ;)

WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

unìl mäkto

thanks for the vid. it was help full! :)

can someone add to this persons karma because i can't yet

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: unìl mäkto on January 31, 2014, 06:47:59 PM
thanks for the vid. it was help full! :)

can someone add to this persons karma because i can't yet
You currently have 22 posts and in order to give someone karma, you need to have at least 25 posts. So just three more posts to go for you ;)

I know it's off-topic :P

On topic: Maybe you can share some information on the plot so far and/or what the movie in general is going to be about.
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

unìl mäkto

okay i am not allowed to write the whole plot because well its supposed to be a class activity but i did have to come up with a base to present it and to set the guide lines for the others to follow

our 3 limits

time&location
one it has to be shoot in a relatively short amount of time and it has to be on or mainly on our high school campus

money
we are getting pretty much 0$ from the admin.

content
the admin would not appreciate or back anything profane involving tons of violence and gore or drugs

so what did i do.....

i suggested an anti drug based zombie movie with minimal violence.

imagine this
a drug deal is going down in the pool room and right before the kid buys the bath salts the older brother busts in pissed threatens to beat his bother and then punches the drug dealer who drops the bath salts in the pool! he runs and the brothers leave...
later that night an eerie gas fills the room as the bathsalts and chlorine mix.

the next day everyone comes to school and everything is normal up until the fire alarm goes of and a loud bang is heard.. everyon runs out of the building to the stadium. after everyone is calmed the principal say it was just the furnace nothing to worry about.. they will fire up the back up furnace so everyone goes back inside except a group of friends who meet up one the roof to skip and have pizza up on the roof..
but when the back up furnace is turned on it starts sucking air in through an old intake which is located in the closet of the pool room sucking up the toxic fums. making everyone high and inducing zombie like symptoms. while the group of friends sit on the roof none the wiser..

what will happen when they come down no one knows.....

Tìtstewan

Quote from: unìl mäkto on January 31, 2014, 08:41:27 PM
okay i am not allowed to write the whole plot because well its supposed to be a class activity but i did have to come up with a base to present it and to set the guide lines for the others to follow our 3 limits
This movie you do together with other members -> teamwork!

time&location
one it has to be shoot in a relatively short amount of time and it has to be on or mainly on our high school campus
Awww, I remember me we had a "movie maker group" and they were everywhere in the town. Are you have no posibility to make it somewhere in your city/town?

money
I would see this as a "teamwork test". For stuff you need in your movie e.g. costumes, must use your own recources (use old clothes from your home and do something creative with it).
I guess, the main equipmemnt (camera, software etc.) you will get from your admin.

content
the admin would not appreciate or back anything profane involving tons of violence and gore or drugs
Remember, this is a school project. :P

so what did i do.....

imagine this
This sounds funny! What's saying the other member about this idea? I can imagine, to find a good content which everyone would like is really difficult. *I remember me on such big discussions about project contents*
Such a project should make fun, and this, I think, is quite important. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

unìl mäkto

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 01, 2014, 05:06:26 AM

money
I would see this as a "teamwork test". For stuff you need in your movie e.g. costumes, must use your own recources (use old clothes from your home and do something creative with it).
I guess, the main equipmemnt (camera, software etc.) you will get from your admin.

actually right now i am negotiating a deal with the local movie theater (which happens to be across the street) right now so we can get some high quality software, mics and cameras!!

unìl mäkto

Quote from: Tìtstewan on February 01, 2014, 05:06:26 AM

so what did i do.....

imagine this
This sounds funny! What's saying the other member about this idea? I can imagine, to find a good content which everyone would like is really difficult. *I remember me on such big discussions about project contents*
Such a project should make fun, and this, I think, is quite important. :)

okay so also something else i didn't mention the protagonists are going to be based on the teachers that went to central back in the day!

but so far evryone has either loved it or said it was the best possible solution that could be made under the circumstances.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I am currently writing my own story to a movie i want to direct.

When i am writing that story, i set my mind in a mode where i am setting myself into the lead character's perspective. I think, i feel, i see. Yeah i behave like the lead character in a story. Every story has a lead character. So i am saying i am controlling the lead character. This is how i can write a really good story.

I remember i started this when i was around 16 years old, I'm 19 now, so i started about 4-5 years ago.
An advice, if you are gonna be the screenwriter of your story, set yourself into a new world. Be the lead character. That is how you can come up with a great story to tell.

unìl mäkto, i would like to see this movie when it get's finished.
Good luck with the project :)

If you would like to check out what i am working on, I have an official FB page for the story i am working on:
https://www.facebook.com/TheGreatBattleofTheUniverse

and also a Wikia page:
http://the-great-battle-of-the-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Working in television, where we produce a lot of documentaries, I would offer this advice:

Have a first rate story.

Concentrate your effort on telling the story.

Keep your VFX simple, for a first film.

Keep the length reasonable. A well-done short film is far more effective in one that is not well-done and too long.

Take adavantage of what you have for setting and props. Design your story to use these rather than get fancy with setting and props.

There is tons of good acquisition and editing equipment out there that wasn't around even 10 years ago. Although certianly important, what you shoot with and edit with is the least important part of your movie. However, it is very important that the editor(s) know how to tell a story.

My student film, actually shot on film, was a disaster. We tried to do a soundtrack, which in the late '70's wasn't very commonly done. We also used video to help develop the film effects, which was also unheard of then (I was very lucky in that I owned a VTR in those days!). In the end, the only good part were the VFX.

I have a friend with a film scanner that can do super-8. i should get that thing scanned while the splices still hold...

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

unìl mäkto

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on February 01, 2014, 08:19:25 PM

unìl mäkto, i would like to see this movie when it get's finished.
Good luck with the project :)

If you would like to check out what i am working on, I have an official FB page for the story i am working on:
https://www.facebook.com/TheGreatBattleofTheUniverse

and also a Wikia page:
http://the-great-battle-of-the-universe.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

i will definitely try to get you a copy when its done and i'm going to be posting trailers and interviews as well so attach those links

and thanks for the tips Tsanten Eywa 'eveng & `Eylan Ayfalulukanä

archaic

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on February 01, 2014, 09:31:17 PM
Have a first rate story.

Concentrate your effort on telling the story.

This is gold, many commercial movies fail in my eyes because the story and the story telling aspects were over looked.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.