Film's "Everyone" Seemed To Hate ...

Started by Kekerusey, September 26, 2012, 03:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

... except you  :P

How about giving up those guilty pleasure type films or (as the title suggests) the films you like which *you know* almost everyone else thinks is utter tripe?

I've a couple of suggestions ... although I think (in both cases) the endings were, at best, inappropriate or horribly wrong for the kind of films they were a couple of Costner films i.e. "Waterworld" and "The Postman". I'm also a bit of a sucker for Jean Claude Van Damme films ... he's truly awful but by the same token I quite like some of his films ("Timecop", "Universal Soldier" and "Nowhere To Run" are my favourites).

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Niri Te

My favorite non Avatar films, in no particular order are," The Andromeda Strain"---all of the Mad Max" films,---"Fate is the Hunter"---"The Deer Hunter"---"Le Mans"---Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines"--- "We Were Soldiers"---"Apollo 13"---The Manchurian Candidate", and "Seven Days in May". There a few others, but they don't come to mind right now.
Niri Te
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

'Itan Atxur

Movies I absolutely LOVE that my friends generally laugh at me for are as follows:

The Lake House (Sandra Bullock, Keanu Reeves)
My Neighbor Totoro (Fanning Sisters)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Jim Carrey, Kate Winslet, Kirsten Dunst, Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood)
The Music Man (Matthew Broderick)
Titanic
Clue (AMAZING movie if you haven't seen it. Has more personality than any film I've ever seen)
Cleopatra (Elizabeth Taylor. The Avatar of it's time)
Black Swan (A true gem. Natalie Portman gives her best performance yet)
Donnie Darko (My ex favorite movie. Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal, Drew Barrymore Patrick Swayze
Simone (Nobody I've spoken to has even HEARD of this movie. It's a quirky little film that came out just as "CTI" was becoming a house hold term. Al Pacino and Evan Rachel Wood do an excellent job)

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Emtokay

Well err hrm

Universal soldier 1,2,3
Starship troopers 2,3,4 (cause everyone liked 1)
Double Team
The Warriors
Mad Max 1,2,3
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

'Itan Atxur

People hated Mad Max 1? I LOVE that movie, lol. Can't STAND Thunder Dome. It's a mature franchise! Leave the kiddie stuff out!

Alyara Arati

Movie of Shame - (why I like it anyway)

Tank Girl - (random blowing up stuff)
Bride and Prejudice - (girly & bollywood)
Practical Magic - (witchy aunts)
Eat, Pray, Love - (fair to meditation)
Flashdance - (dance double is great)

I'm sure that there are lots more.  ::)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

'Itan Atxur

I so wanted to like Practical Magic. Couldn't do it :(

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Cowboys & Aliens

what a really bad movie
The story is very eeeh..... lame

Kekerusey

Quote from: Niri Te on September 26, 2012, 08:00:48 AMMy favorite non Avatar films, in no particular order ...

But are they films you like but everyone else seems to hate?

Quote from: 'Ite Atxur on September 26, 2012, 11:04:00 PM
Movies I absolutely LOVE that my friends generally laugh at me for are as follows:

Avatar is easy to justify ... you really only have to cite it being far and away the most successful film ever and it's case closed! My wife hates Avatar but has never watched it, my youngest daughter hates it yet seemed to be quite impressed with it when she saw it and even went to see the extended 3D version. I suspect, being an English purist like her Mum, she rejects it more because her Dad has been learning an imaginary language, LOL. That said I'm an English purist/pedant too ... it just doesn't bother me that I like a fictional language too :)

Cleopatra is an awesome film isn't it? Why the hell isn't it in my DVD collection ... anyone know if it's available on blueray and (more to the point) if blueray actually improves the viewing experience?

Quote from: Emtokay on September 27, 2012, 05:28:29 PMWell err hrm

The first Universal Soldier film was brilliant, the third OK but the middle one was awful (my opinion). I loved the first S'Troopers movie (I know it's not really the same but I loved the Heinlein novel it was based on) but I hated the sequel.

Quote from: 'Ite Atxur on September 27, 2012, 08:31:57 PMPeople hated Mad Max 1? I LOVE that movie, lol. Can't STAND Thunder Dome. It's a mature franchise!

What's interesting (to me) about MM1 was that it was the supporting "B movie" (to a Bond movie as I recall) and I loved both it and the sequel ... I wasn't aware there was a third film in the series ... what's that? With Tina Turner? Serious? Must be bl##dy awful ;)

I really liked Mel Gibson, would have considered watching almost anything he was in ... that changed when he became a fundamentalist nutter!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on September 27, 2012, 10:00:54 PMMovie of Shame - (why I like it anyway)

Flashdance is cheesy but great in its own way ... do you remember the series? What about all the other similar ones ... Grease (though I suspect that came earlier)? Footloose?

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on September 28, 2012, 03:01:55 AMCowboys & Aliens ... what a really bad movie

A while back I'd have agreed but I bought it quite cheap on blueray and on a second watching it seems a lot better than the first.

That's my five ha'pence worth :)

I suppose my main guilty pleasures are RomCom's ... sorry but I'm a sucker for that kind of rubbish. One recently slammed by Yahoo reviews is "Meet Joe Black" which I happen to think is one of the best romantic films of its time.

Some other guilty pleasures would be "The Billion Dollar Brain" (Michael Caine as Harry Palmer ... I mean the first two were quite gritty but the third is absolute pants but I still love it!), "Independence Day" (perhaps the biggest B Movie I've ever seen ... cheesy as hell but great fun), "Blade III" (I mean it really has no redeeming features, except possibly Ms. Biel but again ...) and how about the original "Death Race 2000"?

Keke

'Itan Atxur

Independence Day is far from a B-movie. It had a production budget of $75 million and grossed over $300 million. Awesome movie though. I hear Roland Emmerich managed to get Will Smith to come back for two more sequels too (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628841/)

Kekerusey

Quote from: 'Ite Atxur on September 29, 2012, 03:47:05 PMIndependence Day is far from a B-movie. It had a production budget of $75 million and grossed over $300 million. Awesome movie though. I hear Roland Emmerich managed to get Will Smith to come back for two more sequels too (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628841/

You misunderstand me ... yes it is big budget but it's a B movie in style. Look at the way it's made ... it's basically a 50's SciFi movie (in many ways not a particularly good one) done really, really big.  Don't get me wrong, I love it but it's really [expletive deleted] cheesy and full of some of the worst movie cliches imaginable ... it's lightweight, switch brain off, thrill ride fun. I don't have a problem with that but I think it's important to understand what it is.

It also happens to bear all the hallmarks of a propaganda movie [Keke: That should provoke a few comments]  8)

Keke

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

It's a new movie, I saw a while back ago, Looper. There you have a movie you can hate.
It is actually the worst movie I've ever seen, A really bad story

You can see, the trailer looks good, but the movie is not good at all
LOOPER - Official Trailer - In Theaters 9/28

'Itan Atxur

Melancholia

Those who can deal with the EXTREME depression the main characters go through will see a beautiful character driven end of the world movie. Fair warning: The 1st 10 minutes is just ultra slow motion footage with music but no words. The next 45 minutes to an hour you'll completely understand why so many hate this movie. The last hour or so is simply astounding and actually makes you appreciate how good those first 45 minutes actually were. Even the great James Cameron could learn from the character development in this movie.

Ngawng

Breaking Dawn Part 2 ...*cowers*
The Twilight movies are so terrible....and the last one was a doozy :D it was so bad :D

I thought Looper was awesome, guess because I rarely watch Sci Fi

29.f.australia

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Alyara Arati on September 27, 2012, 10:00:54 PM
Movie of Shame - (why I like it anyway)

Tank Girl - (random blowing up stuff)
Bride and Prejudice - (girly & bollywood)
Practical Magic - (witchy aunts)
Eat, Pray, Love - (fair to meditation)
Flashdance - (dance double is great)

I'm sure that there are lots more.  ::)

Spaceballs, the Movie - (ludicrous speed)
The Cutting Edge II - (actors did skating)
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci