HUGO (2011) [The invention of Hugo Cabaret]

Started by Txur’Itan, November 25, 2011, 11:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

I thought this movie was very well done, a tastefully executed use of modern cinematic technology to have a light touch in setting the visuals for a period piece. It was whimsical, and touching, and very much like a fairy tale. I have not read the book, but I may now be so inclined.

Ben Kingsley plays an interesting character.

Not many child actors are watchable, they tend to overact, and under deliver. However, I am becoming a fan of Chloë Grace Moretz. I did not even check the casting before watching this movie, and did not recognize her from her other pictures, she completely disappears into this role.

This is probably the only movie where I would consider Sacha Baron Cohen watchable.

I am always glad to see veteran actors like Christopher Lee appear in less sinister roles, instead of being typecasted.

I think that the acting ability of Asa Butterfield (HUGO) will start to grab attention in years to come, right now he is a passable character actor, and emotes well enough to be convincing of at least one or two emotional states.  A great deal of screen time is dedicated to him, and he really is just a mid-story pivot character for all of the other characters.

HUGO Movie IMDB

Book on Amazon
私は太った男だ。

'Oma Tirea

I once heard on a commercial "The best movie I've seen since AVATAR."  Initial impression: PeUUUUUUUU?!? ???

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Txur’Itan

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on November 28, 2011, 12:39:09 AM
I once heard on a commercial "The best movie I've seen since AVATAR."  Initial impression: PeUUUUUUUU?!? ???

Well I guess some people may think that. I would not go to this movie expecting to see anything except a period piece, the effects are designed to give the illusion of being in that time, and that is all.
私は太った男だ。

archaic

How to Train Your Dragon is still the best movie I've seen since AVATAR. Imho.

Hope Hugo is as good as they claim.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: archaic on November 29, 2011, 09:16:40 AM
How to Train Your Dragon is still the best movie I've seen since AVATAR. Imho.

Hope Hugo is as good as they claim.

No flying around. So Avatar and HTTYD doesn't compare stylistically.

This movie is more of a drama.
私は太った男だ。