John Carter on Mars, in 3D

Started by Redpaintednavi, February 14, 2012, 08:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redpaintednavi

In the year 1912 Edgar Rice Burroughs (the creator of Tarzan) started to write a series of tales about John Carter, an officer in the US civil war that mysteriously is transported to Mars. There he meets humans and other species and he also meets the lovely princess Dejah Thoris.

The planet is dying and John Carter helps the inhabitants to cooperate so that they can survive the coming catastrophe.

The film is made in 3D and judging from trailers and glimpses I have seen it seems to have nice effects. And the story also have some likenesses with Avatar.

http://disney.go.com/johncarter/

What do you think? Does it seem good?

Lance R. Casey

Not to mention that the Martian language was created by a certain retired professor... :D

// Lance R. Casey

Kamean

Seems interesting. In my opinion, it would be a good movie, but not brilliant.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Redpaintednavi

P.A.'li makto

We are planning to go and watch it! It really seems to be interesting and in some ways similar to Avatar. After watching it I'll be able to tell you whether it was worth seeing it...  :)

facebook: soaia leNa`vi

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

that looks incredibly like avatar. i think these people might be trying to jump on the pandora bandwagon a bit...trying to make money off people who go, expecting an avatar-esque experience. and the green people really remind me of the Na'vi.

just wondering, what is their explanation for a human warrior princess on a planet full of martians?  ;D
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Kamean

I see that Burroughs knew about lower gravity on Mars. :)
Quotejust wondering, what is their explanation for a human warrior princess on a planet full of martians?
On Mars a lot of races and almost all humanoid. ;)

Redpaintednavi

Edgar Rice Burroughs invented the world of Barsoom (Mars) 100 years ago. He filled it with a lot of interesting creatures and races. Here are some of the creatures:

The Thoat, a sort of eight legged "horse"

The Malagor, a flying mount

Strange blue plant men

The Calot, a ten legged "canine"

For more Barsoomian beasts you can look at this link:

http://edgarriceburroughs.blogspot.com/2011/12/beasts-of-barsoom.html

Kamean

It just gets more and more like pandora...

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Kamean

Hrh all I know him from is mr beans holiday. Who did he play on finding nemo?

wm.annis

Txur’Itan

Quote from: wm.annis on March 01, 2012, 03:25:55 PM
Interview with Paul Frommer about Barsoomian, from Fiat Lingua.

That is very interesting. I have no idea what would sound right for elongated consonants.
私は太った男だ。

Txur’Itan

I caught the midnight showing.

You know what, I liked it.

It doesn't have the wow factor of Avatar, but I think it is a great popcorn flick, and I am interested in seeing them continue the conflict with the Therns and Matai Shang if they do more of these.

P.S. Woola Woola
私は太った男だ。

Kamean

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 01, 2012, 11:36:46 PM
Quote from: wm.annis on March 01, 2012, 03:25:55 PM
Interview with Paul Frommer about Barsoomian, from Fiat Lingua.

That is very interesting. I have no idea what would sound right for elongated consonants.
Mllte. :)

MaTe

it was pretty good, while being very far from Avatar. It might seem like one at first glance, but the "inside" is very different.

There is one "acheivement unlocked: navi strength!" moment that kept me giggling for a few minutes :)
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

CyanRachel

I saw "John Carter" last weekend and really enjoyed it. Never read the series of "Mars" books by Burroughs (I'm more of a Tarzan fan) so I don't know how close the film stuck to "A Princess of Mars", but I thought it was a good film overall, and I could definitely see a few similarities to Avatar. Of course, Burroughs published his first "Mars" book LONG before Avatar (not to mention before James Cameron was even born), so if anything JC was influenced by the "Mars" books when he created Avatar.
Anyway, I feel "John Carter" doesn't deserve much of the bad reviews and criticisms it's getting from the media.
Your love shines the way into paradise.
Avatar Ten Year Anniversary (Dec 18, 2009 - Dec 18, 2019)

wm.annis

I saw it yesterday.  It's ok.  It continues the current trend of "face tattoos = space aliens," which is interesting.