Neytiri's thoughts, when she left Jake?

Started by Elektrolurch, January 23, 2010, 11:52:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elektrolurch

Yesterday, I saw the film for the 14th time :D and in the scene, where Jake tells the Omatikaya, why he was here, and Neytiri leaves him, I thought about, what her thoughts would be.

Didn't she say, they would be mated for life?

He told the truth, but mustn't have known his love to the Na'Vi and the forests?

Sure she was disappointed, but couldn't she easily find out what Jake has experienced in the last 3 months?

Eywa aynaghu
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

TorukMakto!

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on January 23, 2010, 11:52:24 AM
Yesterday, I saw the film for the 14th time :D and in the scene, where Jake tells the Omatikaya, why he was here, and Neytiri leaves him, I thought about, what her thoughts would be.

Didn't she say, they would be mated for life?

He told the truth, but mustn't have known his love to the Na'Vi and the forests?

Sure she was disappointed, but couldn't she easily find out what Jake has experienced in the last 3 months?

Eywa aynaghu

Yes, when Jake cose Neytiri and Neytiri chose him, Neytiri said that they mated for life.

At the moment Jake made his announcement, Neytiri was struck with a storm of emotions. In the heat of the moment, logic and thought are very hard to be expressed and emotions and impulses are turned on and are the ones who show up in the decision.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I don't think anyone behaves rationally when they've been betrayed. She knows he loves her, but that doesn't stop the pain of betrayal.

There could be the added pain that if Jake truly had betrayed them and never came back that she would never be able to mate again. If they truly mate for life it's possible that she would have never been allowed to find another mate.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

We also know, that Neytiri's emotions just reduced then, when Jake tamed Toruk. So she wasn't the one, who "exused" to him...

That means, she tries to forget him?

TorukMakto!

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on January 23, 2010, 12:35:58 PM
We also know, that Neytiri's emotions just reduced then, when Jake tamed Toruk. So she wasn't the one, who "exused" to him...

This has to do with this
Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 23, 2010, 12:26:26 PM
There could be the added pain that if Jake truly had betrayed them and never came back that she would never be able to mate again. If they truly mate for life it's possible that she would have never been allowed to find another mate.

Jake came back to her, to her people, she forgave him , because although at first it was just a mission for him, with time he truly fell in love with her and found that his place is with her and her people. Yes, Jake did say that in his announcement but , they'll needed some kind of a proof from Jake, and what is better then bringing the most badass creature in the sky that only 5 before him did that?

Elektrolurch

That's just a symbol of braveness, as I think.

Maybe she experienced, that he was someone special. An uniltìranyu taming Toruk...

TorukMakto!

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on January 23, 2010, 12:45:31 PM
That's just a symbol of braveness, as I think.

Maybe she experienced, that he was someone special. An uniltìranyu taming Toruk...

Even a Na'vi taming a Toruk is very rare and unique, so an Uniltìranyu doing that is something that the Na'vi never thought in their lives and dreams (or nightmares) is possible.
I think that Neytiri felt Jake is special after that time on the tree that hundreds of Atokirina' mingled with him.

Elektrolurch

Didn't she already know it right after he was attacked by the Aynatokirina?

gnátxere

imo it's a matter of proving himself, after he let the na'vi down it's a matter of words to say you've changed, but it takes trying to help them and then putting yourself at their mercy after you could've just gone home to show your sincerity and earn their trust again.

and she probably didn't just because usually people base their actions or judgements off someone's most recant actions, for all naytiri knew he was chosen but decided to betray them anyways, thus proving he wasn't the guy to save them, it's all a matter of how people view your MOST RECENT actions.

Elektrolurch

Pa'lis Maktoyu

hummm, you're right... it's difficult anyway, if you are there, and how you've changed and you love now the na'vis, what will you do to protect what you love? Jake only want the best for the omatikayas(i hope so).

Eywa ayngahu
Inteligencia, perseverancia, agilidad, y corage son necesarios para sobrevivir en este mundo salvaje. Nuestra decisión hace la diferencia. Eywa ngahu ma smuktan sì smukté.

TorukMakto!

Quote from: TorukMakto! on January 23, 2010, 12:42:35 PM
Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on January 23, 2010, 12:35:58 PM

This has to do with this
Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 23, 2010, 12:26:26 PM

Jake came back to her, to her people, she forgave him , because although at first it was just a mission for him, with time he truly fell in love with her and found that his place is with her and her people. Yes, Jake did say that in his announcement but , they'll needed some kind of a proof from Jake, and what is better then bringing the most badass creature in the sky that only 5 before him did that?

Quote from: gnátxere on January 23, 2010, 03:11:13 PM
imo it's a matter of proving himself, after he let the na'vi down it's a matter of words to say you've changed, but it takes trying to help them and then putting yourself at their mercy after you could've just gone home to show your sincerity and earn their trust again.

Thumbs up :)
Actions speak louder than words.

Rim tsamsiyu

okay, like was said previously, yeah betrayal will make you say some pretty bad stuff.... in between him knowing about the attack and her father dying, that would remove most of my rationalising capabilities i think.... she needed someone to blame and jake preeeeeeeety much volunteered to be it.

as for being Toruk Makto, i don't think that he did it to 'prove himself'

Quote from: gnátxere on January 23, 2010, 03:11:13 PM

This is the way i see that episode:
Na'vi are desolate cos of the destruction of hometree so they're not expecting anything.... but what the WANT is for Eywa to help them... somehow.
Jake on the other hand is deemed traitor by BOTH sides so in reality he's completely screwed, talk about being ostracised much?
Jake feels his allegiance is to the Na'vi and wants to help them protect their.... (that's the inclusive of himself version :P) land. He wants to help them, but he's "in the place that the eye does not see, so for him it's a simple matter of doing something extreme in order to MAKE them see him and hear what he has to say, he knows that he has the best understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of both sides. So he does what only a crazy Marine would do.... tame the biggest thing in the sky ..... by jumping on it........ mid.....air..... (like seriously.. wth was he thinking?)

He returns to the people, in a lovely symbolic moment imo.
The people are lost, they are singing to Eywa, for help? guidance? rescue?
and then? Jake flies in with the biggest predator on the planet, with tsayhaylu.
Apart from the "OMGOMGOMG RUN FOR YOUR LIVES" bit when the shadow appears, here stands a figure of legend and myth only told in stories, Toruk Makto, once again appearing in a time of great sorrow.
Eywa has once again provided. uniltìyìranyu (that's dream walker right?) or not, it's irrelevent at this point, whatever he was before, he is now Toruk Makto, that's the only thing that's important. When a figure of myth comes out of nowhere you don't go "hey.. that's unprecedented" you just go ZOMGWTFBBQ (quote unquote)
and as for the meaning for Neytiri? nothing could illustrate his connection to the Na'vi and Eywa more than being able to bond the greatest creature on the planet. If THAT doesn't tell he that he's one of them.... i'm pretty sure nothing will.

super SUPER long post i know .. sorry about that.
so in summary
Jake:lost and needs a large.. something to get Na'vi attention
Na'vi: need sign, guidance something from Eywa cos well.. nothing else they can do now
Neytiri: needs sign that Jake is really one of them... and her mate (if being Toruk Makto doesn't make him next clan leader... what does it TAKE?!)

all wants and desired fulfilled by Eywa
done done done.

congrats if you made it through the whole post :P

A. A. Aaron

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Hmm this thread may belong more in the General Avatar section than the Culture section. Time to test my new found mod potential?
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Muntxa

I thought about that scene many times, too. When I lie in bed at night and can't sleep :P
When Jake told her that Neytiri was disappointed for sure. Don't forget about her duties: the whole tribe was around them and how should she have reacted?
They are mated for life so she also was hurt. What could she have done if Jake hadn't returned? And because they are mated for life, that wouldn't have been possible.

To bring it to the point: Neytiri might have somehow know that Jake told the truth and he really had changed, but like I said, the whole tribe was around and Neytiri couldn't just have said "okay, Jake, I trust you, it's alright". And... she was a little disappointed, too.

Elektrolurch

I am absolutely sure, that she'd never forget him. He changed her life, a Na'Vi usually does not marry a friend, or whatever, if he/she knows him/her for only three months...

Tsu'roen

Well read the script then things become a little clearer - ( - ).

Quote from:  Script Page 82 ...GRACE (softening)
You can never truly be with her.
Jake stops, pinioned by the truth. He seems suddenly very lost.
JAKE
You know why I'm here? Because Quaritch sent me.
NORM
What?
JAKE
That's right -- to embed with the Omaticaya. To find out how to screw them out of their home. By deceit or by force, he didn't care. And if it turned out to be force, then how best to do it.
Norm is in shock. But Grace is eerily calm.
GRACE
And what about now, Jake?
JAKE
I'm not that guy any more.
Grace nods. She's been on his journey every step of the way.
GRACE
I know.
JAKE
But if I tell Quaritch the truth, he yanks me out -- I never see her again.
And if I tell her the truth, the clan throws me out -- that's if they don't cut my heart out and show it to me.
Jake looks hopelessly at the two of them. In his own perfect Hell.
NORM
They won't understand what you've done.
JAKE
They don't even have a word for "lie" -- they had to learn it from us.
Grace sees he is on the verge of tears. Lost and alone, between worlds.
GRACE
I know. I taught it to them.

Betrayal is something absolutely foreign to Na'vi. So when Neytiri found out she was shocked beyond believe and reacted exactly as Jake predicted. And then after the destruction of Hometree and her father's death she was in mourning and hated all Sky People (keep in mind humans also killed her sister before her eyes!) She was deeply hurt, and scared about the future of her clan - I doubt that she thought about Jake at all in that situation - he was dead for her and the bond broken!

Then when Jake arrives at the Tree of Souls as Toruk Makto and Neytiri just said "I see you ... I was afraid Jake -- for my people. I'm not any more." I first thought "What? That's all you have to say? No I'm sorry that I didn't believed in you.?"
But after getting deeper into the way the Na'vi think I realized - that's actually exactly what she said:
I see you = (now) I see your true soul! Now I know that you are one of us and Eywa has chosen you to protect my people. I will never doubt you again!
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Tirea Pa'li

^ Exactly :) First time i was like "Wtf? The dudes comes riding a big bad dragon and all u can say is this?"
But around 2 - 3th time i realized there`s a lot behind this line.
Dont think Neytiri ever said "i see you" to Jake before. I mean i know its not in the movie or scipt, but i feel like this is truly the first time she ever would have felt that way about him to say "I see you". Must be different from love.
From all the weapons you have used against us, we always feared your guns least!

Elektrolurch

I can hardly believe, that Neytiri didn't know about his previous experiences and his love to the Omatikaya. But when she says "I see you", THIS must give an intensive feeling of apologies, love, truth, hope and bravery.