Blu-ray movies coming to 4K resolution in Spring 2013

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, January 09, 2013, 12:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

SONY has unveiled that they will make a new blu-ray version for movies to the Ultra HD televisions. Blu-ray movies has the resolution of 1920 pixels, while Ultra HD has 4000 pixels.
The first movies that will be released in this version will be The Amazing Spider-Man, Total Recall, The Karate Kid, Battle:Los Angeles and The Other Guys, and also more later.

Maybe Avatar will also be released in this version? More likely :)

For those still wondering what the hell 4K is, the term refers to the horizontal resolution of the image on screen. Traditional Blu-rays display images at 1,920 pixels across, whereas 4K video is roughly 4,000 pixels across.
All "Mastered in 4K" titles are sourced from pristine 4K masters and presented at a high-bitrate 1080p resolution, with expanded color showcasing more of the wide range of rich color contained in the original source. When upscaled on Sony's 4K Ultra HDTVs, viewers will experience a near-4K picture. (These titles can also be viewed on all existing Blu-ray players.)

"The electronics industry's groundbreaking launch of 4K Ultra HD TV has given us reason to even further elevate our Blu-ray offering," said David Bishop, President, SPHE. ""his spring, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment is excited to deliver a complementing lineup of 'Mastered in 4K' Blu-ray titles, offering consumers the best possible picture and sound quality to be experienced on the latest HDTVs."

These 'Mastered in 4K' Blu-ray titles -- paired with the native 4K titles for Sony's 4K video distribution service, which is planned to be launched in summer 2013 in the US -- further demonstrate Sony's commitment to the 4K movement and its new hardware. Expect to see the initial wave of more than 10 "Mastered in 4K" titles beginning in Spring 2013.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/09/sony-unveils-mastered-in-4k-blu-ray-titles

Overview of Sony's Largest 4K LED Ultra HD TV - 84-inch XBR-84X900 at Abt

Ricardo

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on January 09, 2013, 12:55:42 PM
All "Mastered in 4K" titles are sourced from pristine 4K masters and presented at [...] 1080p resolution, [...] When upscaled on Sony's 4K Ultra HDTVs, viewers will experience a near-4K picture.

I can only see there a row of technical and advertising tricks, that will be sold as "4K" to the consumers but isn't. Upscaled from 1080p... Taking main attention to this point every ordinary Blu-Ray could be a "4K"-Disc.
This will end like TB (1000 GB and not 1024), HD ready/Full HD, 3D ready for cameras (with only one objective, lol) and so on.

However, the native 4K video system may become interesting.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Ricardo on January 09, 2013, 01:09:35 PM
All "Mastered in 4K" titles are sourced from pristine 4K masters and presented at [...] 1080p resolution, [...] When upscaled on Sony's 4K Ultra HDTVs, viewers will experience a near-4K picture.

I can only see there a row of technical and advertising tricks, that will be sold as "4K" to the consumers but isn't. Upscaled from 1080p... Taking main attention to this point every ordinary Blu-Ray could be a "4K"-Disc.
This will end like TB (1000 GB and not 1024), HD ready/Full HD, 3D ready for cameras (with only one objective, lol) and so on.

I think also they will develop a new blu-ray system, that can play 4K, I don't think today's blu-ray player can play this. If the size will be too large.

Tìtstewan

Indeed. For 4k movies it's needs new cameras and storage technoloy.
But nice marketing try, Sony. ;D

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on January 09, 2013, 01:24:40 PM

I think also they will develop a new blu-ray system, that can play 4K, I don't think today's blu-ray player can play this. If the size will be too large.
A real 4k movie with a duration of 2h would have over 200GB. Wich blu-ray would feed that?

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Lance R. Casey

// Lance R. Casey

Txantslusam Skxawng

WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF