Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)

Started by Txur’Itan, May 18, 2013, 03:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txur’Itan

8/10  ;D

I enjoyed this movie, top notch effects, good pacing, and a decent story. I liked the sense of humor and the gravitas mixed together in a story like this.

Critiques and plot components I will suggest placing into spoiler tags. Even the IMDB page has a spoiler or more on it.

Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013)

私は太った男だ。

Clarke

I'd give it a 9.5-10/10. Mostly because Pine, Cumberbatch and Pegg swallowed entire sets, while Quinto was trying very hard to steal the show whilst not actually showing any emotion.

Quote from: Txur'Itan on May 18, 2013, 03:30:56 PM
Superscience is infectious.  ;)

Also, this was my eaction when the climax got going:

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Clarke on May 18, 2013, 06:19:26 PM
I'd give it a 9.5-10/10. Mostly because Pine, Cumberbatch and Pegg swallowed entire sets, while Quinto was trying very hard to steal the show whilst not actually showing any emotion.

Quote from: Txur'Itan on May 18, 2013, 03:30:56 PM
Superscience is infectious.  ;)

Also, this was my eaction when the climax got going:

LOL Yeah
私は太った男だ。

moonbeam

I saw the movie last weekend. I enjoyed it, but I do like the older movies better.

Click the dragons to give them love!

eejmensenikbenhet

The movie's not in cinema just yet here, but I'm definitely going to see it. I'm not really a trekkie, I have seen a couple of episodes when I was little and I watched some of the original series, but I know Star Trek to some extent so I'm curious as to how the movie fits into the story.
Also: big fan of Cumberbatch.

Niri Te

Written by Txur'itan:
Every Sci-Fi fan has their threshold for pain when it comes to tolerating scientific inaccuracy. When it comes to new tech, it can s times get away with being a bit magical, but when it comes to contemporary tech, they should do a bit of fact checking before jumping the gun on writing expository dialogue.

When Bones injects the tribble with blood to resurrect it, my BS meter got buried in the red. So the knowledge gained for saving someone from death that comes later in the movie is even harder to swallow. (I did not want the character to die, but it cheapened the story to have his life saved this way.)

THANKS for the warning Txur'itan, I will be sure to NOT waste my time on the movie. As a aerospace Engineer, I find it particularly annoying when my bulls*** ALARMS keep going off in a movie.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Ngawng

Neytiri speaking Klingon :0

But yeah, I saw this movie today. It was awesome but I didn't like how the dude's blood can bring things back from the dead. Cumberbatch was awesome. Loved the bromance between Kirk and Spock <3

29.f.australia

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ngawng on June 02, 2013, 06:30:27 AM
Neytiri speaking Klingon :0

But yeah, I saw this movie today. It was awesome but I didn't like how the dude's blood can bring things back from the dead. Cumberbatch was awesome. Loved the bromance between Kirk and Spock <3

One of the longest running bromance stories in sci-fi if you count the TOS episodes from TV in the 1960s.
私は太った男だ。

Niri Te

She did such a good job in AVATAR, that she will be FOREVER TYPECAST in my heart and mind as Neytiri, so I wont watch the movie.

Clarke

Quote from: Txur'Itan on June 03, 2013, 04:57:07 PM
One of the longest running bromance stories in sci-fi if you count the TOS episodes from TV in the 1960s.
It was the original slash pair.  ;D

Niri Te

Taronyu Leleioae

TOS = "The Original (tv) Series"   

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Niri Te on June 04, 2013, 08:59:49 AM
Just what is "TOS" ??

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on June 04, 2013, 09:09:18 AM
TOS = "The Original (tv) Series"   

Yes.

The various Star Trek entities have been receiving retronyms and acronyms from the fan communities for brevity of typing or texting.

Star Trek (1966–1969) TV Series Has lately become ST:TOS.
Star Trek (1973–1975) (Animated) Became ST:TAS.
Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987–1994) TV Series Became ST:TNG.
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (1993–1999) TV Series Became ST:DS9 or DS9 or less regularly ST:DSN.
Star Trek: Voyager (1995–2001) TV Series Beacame ST:VOY.
Star Trek: Enterprise (2001–2005) TV Series Became ST:ENT or just Enterprise in the context of discussions about the shows.

The ship being called out more explicitly by designation since nearly all of them are unique minus the J.J. Abrams universe incarnations thus far. The Canonical Phoenix, XCV 330 and the NX-01 were displayed as models in the ST:ID movie, I thought it was a nice touch.

Various movies were abbreviated in similar ways, but I am not sure that they are widely accepted abbreviations.

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan becoming ST:TWOK or just TWOK, for example. TWOK redirects to the Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan wiki page.

私は太った男だ。