STAR TREK, my newest obsession

Started by Rain, July 27, 2010, 11:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain

LOL. Anyway, I have discovered that I am a massive Trekkie. I think Leonard Nimoy is totally amazing, and I want him to be my grandpa.

However, Zachary Quinto (2009 JJ Abrams Star Trek [reboot]) is the new face of Spock, and the face is sexy. Look!!

What IS it about the pointy ears and eyebrows? How is it that cold can be so HOT???
Apparently the same was true for Leonard Nimoy when he was a pup. LMAO. Here I want him to be Grampa Spock and to my grandma he was a hunk.

But in all seriousness, I was given a bunch of old tapes of the Star Trek movies, and now I'm addicted. The TV show is next. I think I'll start with the original series...
Comments? Queries? I wanna talk trekkie (ha ha)
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Ekirä

Oooooo! I love love love Star Trek :) :) :) That's not to say I've actually seen a ton of it, but....I still love it!

If you're looking for recommendations my all time favorite is the movie Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. I love that one soooo much. The actors aren't at their youngest, but still good-looking :)

The episodes are good too. I only watch first gen stuff, I am loyal to my heroes (Kirk, Spock, Chekov, Sulu, Scottie, Uhura...did I forget anyone?). I have seen the new Star Trek, it wasn't as good as the old ones :( My main complaint was that it wasn't funny at all, whereas all the other Star Treks ARE funny. But it wasn't bad acting, just a violent plot line. They did choose young Spock really well....... ::)

VULCANS ROCK.  ;D

Rain

I loved The Voyage Home! Spock is the only dude who can wear a big white bathrobe in San Fransisco and look cool doing it. And I'm First Gen too! Spock is without a doubt the most effortlessly cool guy in Starfleet. I have a friend who likes Picard, though. Eh, he's cool, but he's not as impetuous and impulsive as Kirk. Those two qualities are probably what gets them into and out of so much trouble in the first place.

And it's not just the characters either! The main ideas in the movies are so deep. There's always something hugely intellectual or spiritual going on if you pay attention.

You forgot Bones. He may be cranky, but he's still a hardass.

Old Spock = Awesome
New Spock = *fangirlSQUEEEE*

We need something on THIS forum so that all the same people can talk about Star Trek. Like a mini-sub-sub-forum. LOL

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Ekirä

I'm really surprised that there aren't more posts here yet! We can't be the ONLY LearnNa'vi/Star Trek fans, right?  ???

I SOO love the whole essence around Voyage Home. The idea, the acting, the characters......srsly, I could never have thought up the thing about the whales. GENIUS. And yes, Spock has got to be the best thing that every happened to Starfleet. It would be incredible to meet him..... ::) In the original episodes Leonard Nimoy is very good-looking ;D Have you seen The Trouble With Tribbles?

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock was pretty good too, I thought. Def not as good as IV, but still ok. I didn't like VI that much at all, I don't think I'm a fan of Klingons.  :P

LOL Bones. The first Star Trek I ever saw was Voyage Home, that gave me a bad feeling about Bones because I didn't know him at all :) You've just gotta get used to him and then he's lovable.

Tsa'räni

I've been a Trek fan for a long time (Star Wars fan, too, somehow - the original stuff, not the prequels or most of the EU...lol, pathetic).

The original TV show is so dated now it's pretty funny.  But for the time, it was absolutely amazing and ground breaking in many ways.  TNG was was good, though it's pretty amusing to go back and look at the first couple seasons after you've watched the middle to later seasons.  TNG had some incredibly well done episodes and a good number that were pretty bad.

DS9 had tons of potential, but then they got into the whole everyone's at war with each other and backstabbing each other with political maneuvering.  Some of that was ok, but it kinda lost its way there.  Voyager wasn't that great for me, though here and there they managed to produce a good episode.  Enterprise was about the same - not that great, but a rare episode that was good.

All the original movies except Star Trek V are good.  Star Trek V was just a horrible, horrible thing.  The original Star Trek movie had such a brilliant plot that it could almost stand to be redone.  All of the TNG movies are utter trash.

The new Star Trek movie is absolutely genius.  I had serious doubts if they could pull it off.  In the end, though, they far exceeded what I thought could be done with a reboot of the Star Trek universe.  That movie succeeds on so many levels it's hard to list them all.  I'm eager to see if they can make a second movie on the same level.

Ekirä

Quote from: Tsa'räni on July 29, 2010, 05:08:36 AM
All the original movies except Star Trek V are good.  Star Trek V was just a horrible, horrible thing. 

Oh goody....now I really want to see Star Trek V... :P

But seriously, thanks for warning me on that. I still am going to see it, but it's good to be prepared!  :)

Niwantaw

I still feel that the end of the new film was overkill. I mean come on you've opened a black hole in the middle of their ship. Do you really need to shoot them as well?
Only mostly AWOL.

Ekirä

Quote from: Tawtewng on July 29, 2010, 09:30:53 AM
I still feel that the end of the new film was overkill. I mean come on you've opened a black hole in the middle of their ship. Do you really need to shoot them as well?

Yeahhh I was not very impressed with the new film. I know a LOT of people are, it got incredible ratings, but I'll stick with first gen....

Niwantaw

I liked it just thought that the last bit was overkill.
Only mostly AWOL.

Nyx

Star Trek is great! I just love the ancient stuff. Didn't really like the new movie though, it was more like any random action movie than a star trek movie.

Apart from the original series, I practically grew up watching TNG so I like it even though, if I think about it, it's not the best. And I like Voyager, it has characters who just don't understand each other and that leads to some pretty amusing dialogues.

Tsa'räni

The last bit was overkill, but it was an obvious attempt to do one thing...depussify Enterprise and her crew.  Or rather, make a statement these incredibly powerful machines are no longer going to sit there getting beat on and fire one phaser at a time, followed by one photon torpedo, etc.  This really reached its height in the TNG show where the Enterprise was turned into a giant Love Boat that had tons of potential for real combat, but only seemed capable of firing one phaser at a time.  They could have easily left that out, but the point was to make a statement that this new Enterprise is going to use all her weapons whenever she can.  Thank whatever deity you may believe in for that, good lord.

Rain

A giant Love Boat? (insert uncontrollable laughter here)

Agreed. Spock was the most awesome character. Kirk is kinda "Meh, Skirtchaser". Bones? Yeah, he has his ha-ha points. Like in Star Trek, The motion Picture somebody says "Captain, there's someone down here who refuses to get into the transporter."
Gee, I wonder who that could be? lol

I guess I liked the new movie because I'm closer to the age of the actors, seeing as I was something like two or three when the old movies came out. But I will agree with Ekirä, Spock had his good points when he was a helluva lot younger.
I also think that, IF HANDLED CORRECTLY (CAPS for emphasis), Star Trek could be reborn as a series with all the original episodes re-filmed with the same dialogue. HOWEVER, it probably shouldn't because it would turn into a scifi version of Gossip Girl. Uhura would be a b****, Kirk would be the pretty boy, Spock would be dumbed down into an outcast nerd and Bones would probably be just another lackey.

CBS, DON'T remake Star Trek! We like it JUST THE WAY IT IS!!

Ekirä

Ugh....I can only imagine what a remake would be like. Trashy. Full of sickly-sweet love scenes. NOT what I wanna see, I'd much rather watch the bad acting and old-timey sets of the original episodes. At least they all have a good message, and the creativity of the sets is hilarious. :D For a time with so little technology, they came up with some pretty futuristic stuff.

Rain

Oh my gosh I know! I once saw an electric grass-whip being used as a metal-detector. I guess Lowe's was out of metal detectors that day. LOL.
And don't forget the Ski-boots that were supposed to be magnetic, counteracting a malfunctioning artificial gravity-field. Those guys stomped around acting like they were sticking to the floor, it was so funny. I guess to someone who wasn't even born until 1988, stuff from before my time looks alien.

Ekirä

Quote from: Rain on July 29, 2010, 09:58:23 PM
Oh my gosh I know! I once saw an electric grass-whip being used as a metal-detector.

LOL :D I haven't seen that one...I've got a great library system where I can order practically all the episodes. I've got to get more! :) :) :)

Quote from: Rain on July 29, 2010, 09:58:23 PM
I guess to someone who wasn't even born until 1988, stuff from before my time looks alien.

I was born in '94 so it's quite alien to me.  ;D

Rain

Wow, 1994...I was in First Grade when you were born. I must be ancient to you lol.

The grass-whip-turned-metal-detector and ski-boots are in The Undiscovered Country, I think. It's the last of the Movies.

Ekirä

You're only 6 years older than me. :)

Ah, right. Undiscovered Country. I was trying to wrack my brains to remember why I hadn't noticed that, but then I remembered....

I watched The Undiscovered Country on my teeny iPod screen on an airplane. I could barely hear it or see it.....  ::) I'm thinking I need to watch it again. It's VI, right?

'Itan Atxur

Massive Trekkie here. I own the entire original series and up to season 4 of TNG. I can't pick my fav characters, so I'll just stick with the basic "Kirk, Picard, Spock, and Data" response. If you don't completely love all those characters, you're not a Trekkie.

If I HAD to pick between Kirk and Picard I'd pick

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Nyx

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on August 02, 2010, 12:18:51 AM
HRH that's true, I can't argue with that.

Oh and I think I love almost every episode where Q is messing with people. He's so annoying you have to laugh. :P

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Quote from: Nyx on August 02, 2010, 06:13:18 AM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on August 02, 2010, 12:18:51 AM
HRH that's true, I can't argue with that.

Oh and I think I love almost every episode where Q is messing with people. He's so annoying you have to laugh. :P

Q is awesome...he is also Picard's opposite.  I also like the Borg Collective :D