The Hobbit (2012)

Started by Txur’Itan, April 14, 2011, 12:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Äteya

I read the book so I might see this.

Yawne Zize’ite

Quote from: Txur'Itan on June 19, 2011, 08:33:53 PM
I think that Peter Jackson intends to do Silmarillion movie(s) after the Hobbit is completed, link it more cleanly to the hobbit movies and LOTR movies if he can; possibly later make Unfinished Tales into a movie somehow if he can.  
Alas, the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and the rights to everything else, are held separately.  Tolkien sold the movie and merchandise rights to his then-published books in 1968; however, he naturally retained the copyrights to everything else, and those passed with the rest of his estate to his children.  Christopher Tolkien keeps tight control over this material and is very unlikely to ever license it for a movie.  This is the same reason that games can't legally use material outside the four books no matter how illuminating.  If Christopher ever changes his mind, though, I'd like Peter Jackson to get in some practice with the Akallabêth first.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on August 04, 2011, 06:42:36 PM
I think that Peter Jackson intends to do Silmarillion movie(s) after the Hobbit is completed, link it more cleanly to the hobbit movies and LOTR movies if he can; possibly later make Unfinished Tales into a movie somehow if he can.  
Alas, the rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, and the rights to everything else, are held separately.  Tolkien sold the movie and merchandise rights to his then-published books in 1968; however, he naturally retained the copyrights to everything else, and those passed with the rest of his estate to his children.  Christopher Tolkien keeps tight control over this material and is very unlikely to ever license it for a movie.  This is the same reason that games can't legally use material outside the four books no matter how illuminating.  If Christopher ever changes his mind, though, I'd like Peter Jackson to get in some practice with the Akallabêth first.
Oh, I hadn't thought about that.. The idea of not getting anything else from Tolkien adapted on screen is kind of dreadful, I must say. :o

Txur’Itan

Nay saying aside, the plans exist, the execution has dependencies on what the family wants to do with the content, but I do not see that as preventative, and I doubt that Peter Jackson does either.

Usually it comes down to money and spend, and if they can't justify the cost and guarantee a return on investment it won't be made.

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on August 04, 2011, 09:43:34 PM
Oh, I hadn't thought about that.. The idea of not getting anything else from Tolkien adapted on screen is kind of dreadful, I must say. :o

I think we can all benefit from a wait and see attitude, even if a new film is actually made after the Hobbit, there is no guarantee that it would be worth watching.
私は太った男だ。

Yawne Zize’ite

Besides, the Silmarillion is huge; there's material for eight movies in it or more.  I think everything before "Of Fëanor and the Unchaining of Melkor" is unfilmable, but I have to respect anyone who tries.

This is my on-the-spot scheme for filming it:

Silmarillion 1: The Fall of the Noldor (through the first sunrise)
Silmarillion 2: War of the Jewels (through the Dagor Bragollach)
Silmarillion 3: Beren and Lúthien
Silmarillion 4: Unnumbered Tears (this one would be rather short, but it goes here - could be folded into The Children of Húrin)
Silmarillion 5: The Children of Húrin
Silmarillion 6: The Fall of Beleriand (The Sack of Doriath, the Fall of Gondolin, and the attack on the Havens of Sirion)
Silmarillion 7: The War of Wrath (to the beginning of the Second Age)
Silmarillion 8: The Akallabêth

They'd be a pain to film, with the number of actors you'd need to keep on retainer.  A lot of characters die off, but then you need a bunch of your Fall of the Noldor cast back for the War of Wrath.  The only one with a totally new cast would be the Akallabêth, and you still might want to bring the guy who played Elros back to play Elendil.

Lance R. Casey

// Lance R. Casey

Le'eylan

That is not a production diary for me ???
Krro krro pamrel seri fìtsengmì, alu oey pìlok leNa'vi
Sometimes writing here, on my Na'vi blog
=^● ⋏ ●^=

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Txur’Itan

This website has planned out how to reenact the walk to mordor.

http://home.insightbb.com/~eowynchallenge/Walk/walk.html
私は太った男だ。

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

The address isn't working for me. :-\

Yawne Zize’ite

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on August 09, 2011, 09:11:21 PM
The link was mangled; copy-paste or, better, type it into your address bar.  It's a neat program, even if it came out in 2003.

Kamean

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on August 10, 2011, 12:31:50 AM
The link was mangled; copy-paste or, better, type it into your address bar.  It's a neat program, even if it came out in 2003.
Page not found. :(

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Kamean on August 10, 2011, 01:43:37 PM
Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on August 10, 2011, 12:31:50 AM
The link was mangled; copy-paste or, better, type it into your address bar.  It's a neat program, even if it came out in 2003.
Page not found. :(

Fixed the link.

http://forum.learnnavi.org/movies-tv/the-hobbit-(2012)/msg484853/#msg484853
私は太った男だ。

Kamean

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Wow, very nice! :) Thanks a lot for sharing. :D

Kamean

This site has a link to the book - Atlas of Middle-earth. ;)

Txur’Itan

I saw this, and had to share.

If you know the add campaign, with the cheesy slogan, this will make sense to you. 
私は太った男だ。

Kamean

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。