The Hobbit (2012)

Started by Txur’Itan, April 14, 2011, 12:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Sran! :D I read he's also going to voice the Necromancer.* Furthermore, Luke Evans has been cast as Bard the Bowman.* :)

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on June 18, 2011, 05:12:23 AM
Apparently, it's Sherlock:
http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/benedict-cumberbatch-to-voice-smaug-in-the-hobbit/

Interesting choice.  I think Peter Jackson knows what to do with these stories, as he has proven with LOTR. 

I think I will just see what happens when it hits theaters.
私は太った男だ。

Kamean

Let's hope that The Hobbit will be no worse than Lord of the Rings. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Alyara Arati

QuoteLeonard Simon Nimoy is definitely a favorite when it comes to Gravitas in voice acting, it is a brilliant choice if it turns out to be true.  For the moment at least, Smaug (rumored).

Okay, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that he wasn't cast.  Maybe he has health isssues.  Sir Alec Guiness was still cast as Ben Kenobi even though his heart was in terrible shape.  Knowing this, they filmed his half of the Dagoba swamp scene at the same time as the first movie, which I thought was very pragmatic and brave of him to face that he probably wouldn't otherwise be around.

Not that I think the movie will be less than fabulous; it's just that Leonard Nimoy is one of my favorite actors.  You have to love Spock, right?  Maybe his voice was a little too characteristic and well known to be Smaug?  I don't know.  /Babble
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Lance R. Casey

// Lance R. Casey

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

hrh That Bilbo ballad is awesome! ;D

Wow, there have been a lot of cast news lately. :o Jackson has posted on his FB page again, and he announced new actors: LOST's Evangeline Lilly will play an elven maiden (not present in the book) called Tauriel, and Barry Humphries will portray the Gobelin King. :) To be honest, I'm not sure at all about that new female character - but I am at least reassured to know there isn't going to be a love story between her and Legolas. ;D I guess Jackson knows what he's doing, like always! Anyway, as Txur'Itan says, I can't really give a judgement before I actually watch the movie. hrh :)

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 19, 2011, 07:23:45 PM
hrh That Bilbo ballad is awesome! ;D

Wow, there have been a lot of cast news lately. :o Jackson has posted on his FB page again, and he announced new actors: LOST's Evangeline Lilly will play an elven maiden (not present in the book) called Tauriel, and Barry Humphries will portray the Gobelin King. :) To be honest, I'm not sure at all about that new female character - but I am at least reassured to know there isn't going to be a love story between her and Legolas. ;D I guess Jackson knows what he's doing, like always! Anyway, as Txur'Itan says, I can't really give a judgement before I actually watch the movie. hrh :)

I think, and this is just my theory based on her as a character actress, her Elven ethnicity, and some of the other characters being placed in this movie from the Middle earth collected works that are not depicted in the HOBBIT book.

I think that Peter Jackson intends to do Silmarillion movie(s) after the Hobbit is completed, link it more cleanly to the hobbit movies and LOTR movies if he can; possibly later make Unfinished Tales into a movie somehow if he can.  

This depends entirely on the success of the Hobbit of course, and his willingness to keep going with a saga he has done well with so far.  With unfinished tales, there is a bit of an opening to a high budgeted fan-fiction style take on what the final vision could have been, had J. R. R. Tolkien had lived and continued writing.
私は太った男だ。

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Wou, that's an incredibly interesting theory! I've read a lot of comments and takes on the matter of Tauriel, but it's the first time I hear this. Personally, I would find it very, very great if Jackson did bring other works from Tolkien on screen, because I think he has a lot of respect for the Middle-earth mythology and tries to keep faithful to it (and also succeeds in doing so). I just wonder if that would really be possible. I mean, The Silmarillion and other such books that are basically historical accounts of many different elements would probably be very hard to adapt on screen, wouldn't they? I believe the process and way to work would be very different from the narrative stories of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Also, Jackson didn't intend to direct The Hobbit at first and only ended up doing so so the project would be safe - so is it likely that he would be planning to adapt other works from Tolkien?

Anyways, very awesome theory, it certainly leaves room for thought! I can't wait until December 2012 to form an informed opinion about it. :)

Lance R. Casey

Quote from: Txur'Itan on June 19, 2011, 08:33:53 PM
I think that Peter Jackson intends to do Silmarillion movie(s) after the Hobbit is completed, link it more cleanly to the hobbit movies and LOTR movies if he can; possibly later make Unfinished Tales into a movie somehow if he can.  
Oh please yes. :)

(I just shudder on behalf of the poor composer tasked with actually creating Ainulindalë... ;))

// Lance R. Casey

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Lance R. Casey on June 20, 2011, 07:07:08 AM(I just shudder on behalf of the poor composer tasked with actually creating Ainulindalë... ;))

Oh my god, yes! :o I would say Shore can do anything, but it would definitely be a HUGE challenge for any mortal to compose such music, no matter how much of a great composer he is. ;)

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 20, 2011, 07:25:42 AM
Quote from: Lance R. Casey on June 20, 2011, 07:07:08 AM(I just shudder on behalf of the poor composer tasked with actually creating Ainulindalë... ;))

Oh my god, yes! :o I would say Shore can do anything, but it would definitely be a HUGE challenge for any mortal to compose such music, no matter how much of a great composer he is. ;)

I don't know how you would tell the tale of the very beginnings without it, but something in me wishes that they wouldn't try.  I'd rather have it live in my imagination..  It seems almost sacreligious to me, and I never use that word.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Alyara Arati on June 20, 2011, 07:31:20 AM
Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 20, 2011, 07:25:42 AM

I don't know how you would tell the tale of the very beginnings without it, but something in me wishes that they wouldn't try.  I'd rather have it live in my imagination..  It seems almost sacreligious to me, and I never use that word.

All music is an entirely subjective experience.

Some of it is evocative, some of it emotive, but any composition's success will always ultimately depend on the sum of all musical experiences of the audience.

You could have the greatest composers in all of history delve into the strongest muses they have, and across time and space deliver a completely mind-blowing experience for most of us, and you would still manage to find a number of people who would complain about it's volume, pacing, or recital.
私は太った男だ。

Alyara Arati

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to sound Grinch-like.  Ainulindalë is my favorite part of the book...

On topic, I'm totally behind on my Hobbit news; I didn't even know that he planned to make it into 2 movies!
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

We now have the first official Hobbit pictures! :D Fìtsenge. ;)

I find the first picture incredibly epic, for some reason. :) Freeman as Bilbo is a huge win! It's nice to see Bag End again, and also a slightly "younger" Gandalf. :D

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 23, 2011, 09:35:33 AM

I find the first picture incredibly epic, for some reason. :) Freeman as Bilbo is a huge win! It's nice to see Bag End again, and also a slightly "younger" Gandalf. :D

That is pretty cool.
私は太った男だ。

Kamean

Quote from: Txur'Itan on June 23, 2011, 01:59:21 PM
Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 23, 2011, 09:35:33 AM

That is pretty cool.
Agree. Great find.
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

'Itan Atxur

Awesome pics! I totally didn't know they were doing two movies. Peter Jackson is pretty much the greatest director ever.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Txur’Itan

How many of you watched this in theaters?

More than once.

And loved it.

The Hobbit (1977) - Part 1
私は太った男だ。

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

I didn't even watch it in DVD. :(

'Itan Atxur

Once on VHS (remember those? hrh). I REALLY want to see it again.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE