The Hobbit (2012)

Started by Txur’Itan, April 14, 2011, 12:05:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nyx

Have you guys heard? There will be 2 hobbit movies this year! :P Sorry about the ign link.

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Kekerusey

I haven't read this thread but I'm probably going to throw a spanner in the works as usual ... why the hell are there going to be two, let alone three, movies out if this book. Why is Jackson introducing characters that simply weren't there in the book? As I understand it the first film pretty much is the book and the rest are spin-offs and the only reason I can think of for that is money.

I mean Jackson apparently did some OK smaller films and then made Lord Of The Rings which was, quite simply, spectacular, then (outside of breaking a monkey) he did nothing of any real note until now and he looks determined to repeat his LOTR success .... I will certainly go and see the first film but I will almost certainly wait to see how the spin-offs (if that's what they are) are received before I go and see any more.

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Yawne Zize’ite

As I understand it, Peter Jackson is planning to add some scenes to tie The Hobbit and LotR closer together. Everyone takes it as given that the bulk of the added material will be the White Council driving the Necromancer from Dol Guldur.

If you don't mind me crossposting from another forum:

General consensus now, after cuts to the promotional art and marketing materials, is that the intended end point for the first movie is the Eagle rescue. That leaves Beorn and the entire Mirkwood sequence for the second movie, for which the death of Smaug would make a good climax, then filling in the third movie with the Necromancer plotline before the Battle of Five Armies. This structure lets Peter Jackson have a battle at the end of every movie, and he'd like that more than ending with a more cerebral scene like Riddles in the Dark or a cliffhanger like Bilbo being separated from the dwarves.

In terms of chapters, I expect Movie #1 to cover "An Unexpected Party" through "Out of the Frying Pan into the Fire", Movie #2 to cover "Queer Lodgings" through "Fire and Water" (8 chapters to the first movie's 6, so not much room for extra material), and Movie #3 to cover "The Gathering of the Clouds" through to the end, or possibly only "The Gathering of the Clouds" through "The Return Journey", omitting Bilbo coming home to his estate sale on the grounds of ruining the tone or somesuch. With only 4-5 chapters to cover, this is where all the extra material could fit nicely, and I expect it to be placed at the beginning.

Another reasonable solution is to partially invert the order; in the second movie cover Bilbo's plotline through Ch. 9 "Barrels out of Bond" or Ch. 10 "A Warm Welcome", then switch to Gandalf's plotline, deal with the Necromancer, then switch back to Smaug in the third movie. This has the advantage of no false ending for people who haven't read the book and keeping the coherence between the death of Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies; I want to keep the Smaug plotline undivided to keep up interest, but Lake-town is a good stopping point.

At the pace being established for the first movie, I expect a goodly amount of padding; I thought it was scheduled to run 2 hours, but the currently announced running time for the first movie is 2 hours 46 minutes! I have no idea what he's doing with all that time, although I assume some of it will be given over to the White Council discussing the Necromancer and more of it to expanding fight scenes (alas). If he devotes 7+ minutes to the entirety of "Far over the Misty Mountains cold", though, I can forgive him. Somewhat.

I'm sure money is heavily involved in the decision to make three movies, nonetheless.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on November 30, 2012, 06:09:33 PMI'm sure money is heavily involved in the decision to make three movies, nonetheless.

Yeah ... it sways me against watching it :-(

Keke

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Kekerusey on December 02, 2012, 06:05:39 AM
Quote from: Yawne Zize'ite on November 30, 2012, 06:09:33 PMI'm sure money is heavily involved in the decision to make three movies, nonetheless.

Yeah ... it sways me against watching it :-(

Keke

The only reason to make a movie based on an existing work of fiction is to make money. However, that being said, that should not always be a negative, especially if it motivates the film makers to do a good job for our entertainment. I personally trust Peter Jackson to do an entertaining job with the Hobbit movies.

From what I theorize, there is likely interest in converting the The Silmarillion, The Adventures of Tom Bombadil, possibly something inspired by unfinished tales and the other historical works in the bibliography of The History of Middle Earth, and the Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silmarillion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Bombadil - There was a scene involving this character in the previews for the first Hobbit. And while he was in the LOTR books, he was not depicted in the movies until the Hobbit.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventures_of_Tom_Bombadil

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_Middle-earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Letters_of_J._R._R._Tolkien

In all of that material there are legions upon legions of characters to tell stories about that would not fit into a single 2 hour format of movies.
私は太った男だ。

Kekerusey

Quote from: Txur'Itan on December 03, 2012, 12:43:38 PMThe only reason to make a movie based on an existing work of fiction is to make money. However, that being said, that should not always be a negative, especially if it motivates the film makers to do a good job for our entertainment. I personally trust Peter Jackson to do an entertaining job with the Hobbit movies.

Possibly however he broke my friend's monkey and that is no laughing matter ???

Keke

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Kekerusey on December 03, 2012, 02:56:06 PM
Quote from: Txur'Itan on December 03, 2012, 12:43:38 PMThe only reason to make a movie based on an existing work of fiction is to make money. However, that being said, that should not always be a negative, especially if it motivates the film makers to do a good job for our entertainment. I personally trust Peter Jackson to do an entertaining job with the Hobbit movies.

Possibly however he broke my friend's monkey and that is no laughing matter ???

Keke

:(
私は太った男だ。

Lance R. Casey

The film is out, but there's also a tenth production video:

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Video 10, The Premiere

(And in about one hour, I'll be on my way to see it myself! 8))

// Lance R. Casey

Kamean

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Tìtstewan

Very interesting video. Thanks for sharing. :)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

Kamean

Quote from: Txur'Itan on December 15, 2012, 03:57:24 PM
I enjoyed this movie. I will see it again later, with family.

Interesting article. :)
Actually, I never thought that The Hobbit & LotR is a war story. IMHO - it's philosophical works.

Toruk Makto

Oy...

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Plumps

;D ;D ;D ;D
That's epic :P

Well, I don't know if we care much for reviews here... I've seen it the day before yesterday – 'only' 2D, no HFR and German dubbed (unfortunately). So, just a normal viewing experience.
Of course, it's another pace than LotR and I can't understand people who are bothered by that. It has its long streaks and (as happened in LotR) scenes that are only there for entertainment's sake
but otherwise, I quite enjoyed it :)

Kamean

Quote from: Toruk Makto on December 19, 2012, 11:14:51 AM
Oy...
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Quote from: Plumps on December 19, 2012, 12:10:53 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D
That's epic :P

Well, I don't know if we care much for reviews here... I've seen it the day before yesterday – 'only' 2D, no HFR and German dubbed (unfortunately). So, just a normal viewing experience.
Of course, it's another pace than LotR and I can't understand people who are bothered by that. It has its long streaks and (as happened in LotR) scenes that are only there for entertainment's sake
but otherwise, I quite enjoyed it :)
I saw "Hobbit" today in HFR 3D and enjoy it. :D :D :D
Quotescenes that are only there for entertainment's
Why not, if it does not distort the story? ;)
All narrators tell stories not as the author wrote, but as them seems more interesting. And add in the story new interesting developments. Director is different from the narrator by only that he doesn't tell, but shows.
Tolkien wrote about Stone Giants. But describes their war games in just a few sentences.

Plumps

Quote from: Kamean on December 19, 2012, 02:30:34 PM
I saw "Hobbit" today in HFR 3D and enjoy it. :D :D :D
Quotescenes that are only there for entertainment's
Why not, if it does not distort the story? ;)
All narrators tell stories not as the author wrote, but as them seems more interesting. And add in the story new interesting developments. Director is different from the narrator by only that he doesn't tell, but shows.
Tolkien wrote about Stone Giants. But describes their war games in just a few sentences.

Oh, he did? :o :o :o :o
Then pretend I haven't said anything :P
It's been a while since I read the book and if it's just a few sentences then it just didn't stick ;) My mistake. Hìtxoa

Kamean

QuoteOh, he did?
Really.
JRRT wrote such this:
A flashes of lightnings illuminated the huge black shapes. The Stone Giants, enjoying the storm, started a game - throwing at each other giant stones.

In the movie, this scene is very embellished. :D

Tìtstewan

Oh, I have to watch this movie at the weekend, if I have a little bit time. :)