TOOTHLESS 1, 2, & 3 - How to Train your Dragon.

Started by Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe, March 28, 2010, 02:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaic

Seriously, any one know when it's out on disc?

Might have to buy the book!
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: bagget00 on July 06, 2010, 03:42:11 AM
It wasn't the prosthetic. Think about it.

Even if it was, Hiccup wasn't riding toothless.
The prosthetic doesn't work without him.

If you rewatch the movie, and actually think about it, you will be able to place the sequences in proper order and understand why I think what I think about saying what I saw is what it is I saw. =P

The scenes of the first attempts at using the prosthetic have hiccup being knocked off the tail briefly in the beginning, during flight tests, and at the end sequence.  It was not working with out him, as anyone who watched the movie would know, and of course I realize this, but Hiccup was not permanently glued to the animal, and the prosthetic did not fall off until it was destroyed, as anyone should remember who saw the movie.
私は太った男だ。

archaic

But the prosthetic doesn't work without Hiccup, when Toothless needs to get out of the canyon and rescue him, Toothless has to climb out and run. He can't fly.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: archaic on July 06, 2010, 02:33:04 PM
But the prosthetic doesn't work without Hiccup, when Toothless needs to get out of the canyon and rescue him, Toothless has to climb out and run. He can't fly.

You are misunderstanding the meaning of the words fly and flight to mean sustained-flight, which agreeably is not what was occurring.
私は太った男だ。

archaic

But toothless can't deploy or unfurl the prosthetic on his own, with out Hiccup it closes up against the main part of his tail, blown there by the airstream, yet at 1:15 we see Toothless deploy or spread both sides of his tail, perfectly balanced, both under Toothless's control.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: archaic on July 06, 2010, 04:37:32 PM
But toothless can't deploy or unfurl the prosthetic on his own, with out Hiccup it closes up against the main part of his tail, blown there by the airstream, yet at 1:15 we see Toothless deploy or spread both sides of his tail, perfectly balanced, both under Toothless's control.

I see what you are referring to and now watching everything in the context you are thinking of one more time. 

There may have been an alternate approach to that whole sequence, where Toothless kept his tail post the point where he and Hiccup met, but that did not appear in the released movie.

These are the sequences that were rendered with Hiccup riding Toothless in the movie, but likely not rendered completely for these clips as they may only be in existence in this form for the sake of the previews. 

This youtube video, it is not final renders that were released with the final movie in theaters.  It is the same sequences from the film in the time line from what appears in the final render.  They are essentially not canonical story scenery from the movie.  They are either equivalent to pre-visualizations, or probably edited/modified versions of the final render to conceal the eventual friendship portrayed in the story as a bit of a surprise.

@ 1:11 the tail is not shown, the mechanical device that connects to the prosthetic is not shown, the saddle is not shown, and neither is Hiccup.  This over head rendered shot was the exact same sequence where Hiccup and Toothless were flying through the pillars around the island as a test flight with Hiccup's "cheat sheet", after the saddle was completed and Stoic had just returned to the docs after being at sea.  Hiccup and the rig was not rendered in that youtube version of the sequence, but it is the same "camera" sequence, dragon, and environmental animations.

Between 1:13 and 1:15 it is similar renders to what in the released movie where Toothless dives into the crater from the sky with Hiccup riding him.  In that youtube version of the video sequence, Hiccup is not rendered, the prototype rig cable to the prosthetic is not rendered, but the tail is rendered with the prosthetic flap animations and geometry with its color changed.

What I am saying is, they rendered the geometry for the tail, and it is shaped and textured to the components of the prosthetic flap. 

Technically the animation and object is there, and it is the prosthetic even if some of it is incomplete, and the colors are changed.  While superficially inconsistent with what is known about Toothless and Hiccups collaboration, allowing for the dragon to fly in a sustained and controlled manner, it is still the prosthetic flap objects even if it is incompletely rendered and colored differently.

That said, within the rules of the story from the movie, it is not impossible for Toothless to fly, glide, or gain a degree of lift without the use of the prosthetic even considering the plot limitations.  This occurred in the moments where Toothless first attempted to leave, and was struggling with understanding that he could not fly with his tail damaged.

The unfurled flap is the prosthetic from what I can deductively ascertain, and is not actually supposed to be operating by itself, but it definitely gives that false impression because of the way it was rendered for this video.
私は太った男だ。

archaic

Agreed.

I just found this on Youtube
Forbidden Friendship [How to Train Your Dragon] (piano cover)

old gallery link?id=1161[/img]

archaic

Quote from: archaic on June 28, 2010, 08:09:33 AM
Quote from: Payoang on June 21, 2010, 02:55:13 PM
Quote from: archaic on May 29, 2010, 09:36:25 AM
OK then, so who's going to write this crossover fan fic?

Quote from: Tawtewng on May 29, 2010, 09:51:12 AM
you.

Bump! What's happening with this? :D
Archaic is on the run.

Last sighted heading for the border, fast!

Occasional stops at safe houses, and movie theaters.

Found this .....

Found here .....

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Hufwe ta'em on February 28, 2011, 08:57:29 AM

I'm not sure even what you're trying to add here but please don't necropost unless you have something to add that doesn't belong in a new topic.

Payoang

Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 28, 2011, 10:55:12 AM

I'm not sure even what you're trying to add here but please don't necropost unless you have something to add that doesn't belong in a new topic.

It's toothless. Proceed at will.

Hufwe ta'em

Quote from: Payoang on February 28, 2011, 11:15:01 AM
Quote from: Ftiafpi on February 28, 2011, 10:55:12 AM

It's toothless. Proceed at will.
+1

Ftiafpi

Hufwe ta'em

Nìmwey

That strange clip with the tail undamaged at 1:15, I wonder, is it a fan-made edit (a very good one if that's the case)?
Because it is obviously the exact same clip as the first time Hiccup flew on Toothless, except Hiccup isn't there, nor is the prosthetis.

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.