TOOTHLESS 1, 2, & 3 - How to Train your Dragon.

Started by Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe, March 28, 2010, 02:21:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Txur'Itan on April 06, 2010, 01:10:10 PM
This movie was fun, and exciting.  I thought it was a more compelling adventure than Clash of the Titans.

Damn, now I have to go see both...

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I just looked at the numbers (at Box Office Mojo) and other than that blasphemous PoS improperly named "Alice" (which it was not!), Dragon looks to be in the #2 spot. Shutter Island is up to around 123 million, and Titans is way down at 73 (although this is supposed to be the best Easter weekend in history--probably because they jacked up the prices on Dragons by $3-$5 per ticket because of Avatar's successes).

I came here because I didn't want to believe IMDBs member reviews (all 9's and 10's). I didn't want to like this movie. I hate kids movies. Fart jokes (already mentioned by someone--so "ditto!") and annoying chipmunks, idiot dads (of course), and girls who don't like boys. Whatever--this is all recycled garbage. So I come here and find out that so far people here (whose opinions I respect) think the movie is worth my $15-$17.50. So, I guess I have a date with some 3-D glasses. Maybe tomorrow after work. Maybe tonight if I get bored in the next 15 minutes.

meow
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

bagget00

Right now, I'd say that you should see it in 3d. It was a great movie for me but it was more immersive when in 3d. I have seen it both ways, and plan to see it a few more times and also read the books. It will not be like Avatar for me, but it is interesting all he same. I personally like the disney movies and the pixar movies and the dreamworks movies. This is probably better than most of the dreamworks ones and some of the pixar ones. I rate it a 9.7/10.
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

"Latin and Zombies. Technically dead, but still influencing society."

Author of http://forum.learnnavi.org/fiction-fanfiction/displayed/

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Quote from: Ftiafpi on April 06, 2010, 01:54:06 PM
Quote from: Txur'Itan on April 06, 2010, 01:10:10 PM
This movie was fun, and exciting.  I thought it was a more compelling adventure than Clash of the Titans.

Damn, now I have to go see both...
I haven't seen the first one ><
--
@Bagget: nice rating! I think I'll give it a.. 9?

@KP: have fun watching! --hope you'll enjoy it :)
ke plltxe ngeyä kawng tìrey lu

Txontaw

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on April 06, 2010, 10:43:42 PM
I just looked at the numbers (at Box Office Mojo) and other than that blasphemous PoS improperly named "Alice" (which it was not!), Dragon looks to be in the #2 spot. Shutter Island is up to around 123 million, and Titans is way down at 73 (although this is supposed to be the best Easter weekend in history--probably because they jacked up the prices on Dragons by $3-$5 per ticket because of Avatar's successes).

I came here because I didn't want to believe IMDBs member reviews (all 9's and 10's). I didn't want to like this movie. I hate kids movies. Fart jokes (already mentioned by someone--so "ditto!") and annoying chipmunks, idiot dads (of course), and girls who don't like boys. Whatever--this is all recycled garbage. So I come here and find out that so far people here (whose opinions I respect) think the movie is worth my $15-$17.50. So, I guess I have a date with some 3-D glasses. Maybe tomorrow after work. Maybe tonight if I get bored in the next 15 minutes.

meow

I find that I can usually tell whether a movie is going to be funny and good, or stupid and good, or just plain stupid from the trailer, or at least the second trailer.

I saw the trailer for HTTYD, and I know that Dreamworks is pretty high up in the clouds (NPI) with Pixar sometimes, so I figured, hey, this'll probably be good.

So do give movies a look, even if you have some predispositions about it. Think of all the people who didn't want to like Avatar, but now are here after seeing it! :P
"You're not in Kansas anymore. You're on Pandora, Ladies and Gentlemen." - Colonel Quaritch

MaTe

Quote from: Txontaw on April 07, 2010, 11:33:20 PM
I find that I can usually tell whether a movie is going to be funny and good, or stupid and good, or just plain stupid from the trailer, or at least the second trailer.
Did not really work for me with Dragons. They market it as "cute overload" children's movie, and being Dreamworks, not Pixar meant it was something to pass. But it's also very appealing to older people (they should add vikings to marketing campaign...). If not for 99% positive word of mouth from friends and reviewers I would not have seen if by now.

Also did not work for me with Clash of The titans. The trailer was awesomely crafted. Though the movie is something I'd pass if I knew in advance (have no idea about 1980 version). Would rather have seen Dragons 2nd time, than Clash for the first time...
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Okay, saw Dragon just now. Kids movie--not bad at all. On the Avatar scale I give it a solid 7. maybe 7.5

Other movies on the Avatar scale:

Blazing Saddles "10"
Young Frankenstein "9.8"
Beetlejuice "9"
Nightmare Before Christmas "9.2"
Any Peter Sellers movie "4-7," depending on the movie
The Godfather "8.8"
The Godfather 2 "8.6"
The Godfather 3 (Does not exist)

and so on . . .
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Eana Tanhì

i saw dragon yesterday, and it's great... I love cartoons  ;D

Dreams die first because people give them up so easily...

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

glad others are enjoying this movie too :)
Quote from: MaTe on April 07, 2010, 11:56:39 PM
Did not really work for me with Dragons. They market it as "cute overload" children's movie, and being Dreamworks, not Pixar meant it was something to pass. But it's also very appealing to older people (they should add vikings to marketing campaign...). If not for 99% positive word of mouth from friends and reviewers I would not have seen if by now.

Also did not work for me with Clash of The titans. The trailer was awesomely crafted. Though the movie is something I'd pass if I knew in advance (have no idea about 1980 version). Would rather have seen Dragons 2nd time, than Clash for the first time...

is the first version of Clash really better? is it really that good? o.o

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe on April 10, 2010, 07:32:46 AM

The story is roughly the same,
the second version has better FX,
the first version had the virtue of being original (more or less),

On topic:  How to train your dragon appears to be doing OK in theaters in-spite of its shoddy advertisement.
私は太った男だ。

Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe

Quote from: Txur'Itan on April 11, 2010, 12:50:26 PM
Quote from: Taronyu Ayunilyä Alahe on April 10, 2010, 07:32:46 AM

The story is roughly the same,
the second version has better FX,
the first version had the virtue of being original (more or less),

On topic:  How to train your dragon appears to be doing OK in theaters in-spite of its shoddy advertisement.

right.. well maybe if I walk across the first version's dvd I might watch it.
and yes, the advertisement of How to Train Your Dragon is average, also Clash of the Titans. but How to Train Your Dragon wow me more. :)

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

MaTe

Every other review of this cartoon seems to mock Scottish accent of vikings. Why? For me it seems like a perfect fit. What is it about the accent that makes it feel out of place for native English speakers?
Where is my NDD fix?

bagget00

Don't know, and one of the actors I know is scottish for sure.
You know him as the host of the late late show, Craig Fergusun
"meoauniaea" (meh-oh-ah-oo-nee-ah-eh-ah). "Don't ask me what it means - I haven't assigned a meaning yet. But I love the word!" Frommer said.

Txur’Itan

There is definitely room for historically accurate language in an action movie, drama, documentary, or anything that is meant to be taken seriously for that period of time.  But in a comedy, targeted at younger audiences? I think some people are showing their limited perspective with any comments like these, or their half baked attempts at humor by repeating a stale and now obviously borrowed joke.

This movie was not meant to be accurate, it was meant to be entertaining. Some people just have nothing better to do than to hate on something when it is becoming popular.

Americans did not exist yet for that period of time, and yet people were using American English in the movie.  Who cares when it comes to this movie? Not me...

Scottish people were more likely speaking Scottish Gaelic or Celtic languages back then...   Who cares when it comes to this movie?? Not me...

They can translate the movie into a spoken conversion using the phonetics and symbols of Elder Futhark if they are able, and I wish such endeavors sincere good luck on gathering an audience.  I don't envy the challenge of such a project.
私は太った男だ。

archaic

Just seen it, awesome.

If it wasn't for Avatar this would have been the movie I have enjoyed most in a long time.

'Movie I have enjoyed most in over a month' just doesn't do it justice.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

MaTe

Had to see it again recently (not that I minded, but would not went on my own). Heard someone say "I was a warrior who dreamt to bring peace, sooner or later you always have to wake up" during that scene with ash falling from the sky in "How to Train Your Dragon".
Where is my NDD fix?

bagget00

Niwantaw

*HISSS*
BEGONE YOU FOUL....FOUL..... Something...

Only mostly AWOL.

bagget00

That is my new banner. If you notice on the left, thats my light switch. It is about 6 feet high, and 8 feet wide.