Any punk rockers here?

Started by Kyle Kepone, May 15, 2010, 10:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kyle Kepone

Oe lu 'eylan lì'fyayä leNa'vi

My Blog, including Na'vi lessons: http://dissentculture.wordpress.com

Eyamsiyu

I prefer some other styles of music, but I cannot deny that I grew up on punk music.  However, as is with a lot of popular styles, what kind of punk are you referring to?  I mean, I grew up on "pop punk," but I'm really getting into the hardcore punk stuff.  Like the old Rise Against stuff (their new stuff still is, it's just watered down).

Plus I just like to play along to punk on my set for my daily exercise: gets the heart going and the sweat flowing.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Kyle Kepone

Well I listen to a varying degree of pretty much all subgenres of punk. I like a little bit of the commercial stuff (Blink-182 is still very much the s***), but I mostly spend my time and cash on street punk, old-school Oi! and hardcore punk. Grind and Powerviolence are too metallic and brutal to me (although I guess that's the point) but I'm not impartial to a good Crust/Anarcho-Punk album here or there. If you want any good band suggestions I have lots! :D

Eyamsiyu

Sure, throw them at me like Peyton Manning throws footballs!

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Kyle Kepone

Alright! Here it is, pretty much straight off my iPod.

pop-punk

The World-Inferno Friendship Society
Teenage Bottlerocket
Left Alone
Krum Bums
Intro5pect
Cobra Skulls
Bad Religion (ish)

street punk

Career Soldiers
The Casualties
Complete Control
The Unseen

hardcore punk

Black Flag
Dead Kennedys
Die Kreuzen
Faith
Government Issue
M.D.C. (Millions of Dead Cops)
Minor Threat
Poison Idea (more metal than punk)
S.O.A.
Void
Youth Brigade

oi!

Control (look for Hooligan Rock 'n' Roll - it's their debut album)
Harrington Saints
Cock Sparrer

Crust/Crack Rock Steady/Anarcho-Punk

Crass
Leftöver Crack
Propagandhi
Aus-Rotten
Oi Polloi (big time environmental/Scottish spiritual hardcore band)
Star F**king Hipsters

post-hardcore

Embrace
F**ked Up
Fugazi
Justin Sane (folk punk)

'Itan Atxur

I definitely like my share of punk rock

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 15, 2010, 01:58:43 PM
I definitely like my share of punk rock

I do too: such simple drum beats, but made so difficult just by sheer speed.

Kyle Kepone

Autakuk: are you a drummer?

Eyamsiyu

:o You mean you don't know?  I truly feel like I've made this quite apparent.  But we get new people all the time, so IDK.

Yeah, I am.  I'm a heavy hitter as well.  I mean, I don't like to compare myself too much to legends, but if I had to, I think a lot like Bonzo when it comes to how you play drums. "Hit 'em as hard as yer can."  However, I like a lot of complexity, like Thomas Lang, and definitely like to feel a groove in music as well, like Buddy Rich and Chad Smith.  And that's probably why I'm probably one of the most versatile drummers out there. 

And here's my secret: I tell myself each day that I suck at drums, and that I must get better to "beat out the competition."

... maybe I should just put that in my signature or something.  IDK.

Kyle Kepone

Haha well now I know. I'm a guitarist myself.

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Fmawntu Anusume on May 15, 2010, 10:53:20 PM
Haha well now I know. I'm a guitarist myself.

... so does the rest of the world, it seems. :P  Nah, it's all good.

Any good?  Like, you know your chords, arpeggios, scales, etc.?

Kyle Kepone

Here's the sum total of my musical knowledge. I can barre all chords. I can play all "normal" chords except for b-minor. I don't know many special chords and the ones I do know I use rarely. I've got most of the scales down but it's been awhile since I've practiced. Arpeggios are a no-go. In my band I act as both a rhythm guitarist and bassist, and playing bass is an extra challenge because I learned to play full-on lefty, and the bass I have to use is a right-hand bass. Lol. More info than I should probably be posting on the Internet but meh. :D Punk and the blues are the two main genres I really enjoy, so naturally those genres are the ones I focused on.