DAW Wars thread

Started by 'Oma Tirea, May 07, 2011, 11:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which DAW (in your opinion) is the best (assume latest version)?

Sonar
1 (25%)
Cubase
1 (25%)
Logic
0 (0%)
Pro Tools
1 (25%)
FL Studio
1 (25%)
Live
0 (0%)
Reason
0 (0%)
Digital Performer
0 (0%)
Reaper
0 (0%)
Audition
0 (0%)
Other (name it!!)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

'Oma Tirea

Tse... musicians want to seem to battle about which DAW has the best of features, etc.  Do it here, and do it nicely so this thread doesn't get a lockdown.

Kop, this is a battle for DAWs ONLY.  No discussing plugins here rutxe.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

bommel

I'm a big fan of Cubase but I just own a rather old version. Though FL Studio (currently my main DAW) is quite good too, especially the version 10.

'Oma Tirea

Sran, and with FL you get a fully functional, downloadable demo & free lifetime updates from the downloaded product, in addition to the relatively cheap prices.  FL is a real bargain :D

What I sometimes don't quite understand, however, is how some editions of some DAWs, such as Nuendo, can be sooo expensive, perhaps even unneccesarily so.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Emtokay

For expensive DAW's Pro Tools HD is $4500
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

bommel

Don't you get special DSP hardware with ProTools HD?

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: bommel on May 09, 2011, 03:15:23 PM
Don't you get special DSP hardware with ProTools HD?

Sran that would seem to drive the price up :P

...but prices of some $1,000 or more for just the software DAW, no extra plugins... that sounds like the DAW vendor is really trying to rip you off!

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Emtokay

Pro tools studio consoles and stuff can be at the 30k mark

As for HD, you only really get a Pro Tools computer card.

bommel

Quote from: Emtokay on May 10, 2011, 02:50:48 AM

but it's a piece of hw ;)

Human No More

Most people I know use Guitar Pro.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

bommel

Emtokay

Quote from: bommel on May 11, 2011, 03:08:09 AM
Quote from: Emtokay on May 10, 2011, 02:50:48 AM

put it's a piece of hw ;)

Compared to some of the HD units the soundcard is f*** all.

bommel

Quote from: Emtokay on May 11, 2011, 06:59:01 AM
Compared to some of the HD units the soundcard is f*** all.
I haven't used ProTools yet or even cared about it because it is way too expensive for me and I just don't need it. I don't even know all the stuff I could do with FL Studio ;)

DJ Makto

Not knocking Pro Tools, but one of the reasons why its so expensive is that it has the "Industry Standard" label attached to it--and in most cases is a must have for studios or freelancers for alot of commercial work still.

That being said I think Pro Tools is a kick arse program, as I got to play with it a little at the AVID booth at NAB 2011. I just wish they had VST support, a cheaper price, and not using their hardware as a dongle (or did the change that?)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: DJ Makto on May 11, 2011, 09:08:51 PM
That being said I think Pro Tools is a kick arse program, as I got to play with it a little at the AVID booth at NAB 2011. I just wish they had VST support, a cheaper price, and not using their hardware as a dongle (or did the change that?)

If the software is cheaper than $1000 a dongle seems like overdoing it IMHO.  I too wish ProTools had VST/VSTi plugin support, or at least AU plugin support as opposed to RTAS only.

The other downside to a lot of the good DAWs is there's no easy way to "try before you buy".  Perhaps one reason might be that they're too "heavy" to download and install :P

Here I prefer FL over Reason, Live, or any similar DAW because it's professional quality at a superb price (some $299 for the Signature Bundle vs. something more expensive), even if it has some tough workarounds (which might be eased up in future versions of the DAW due to lifetime free upgrades!).  Sometimes I wonder how Image Line can manage ::)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

DJ Makto

Quote from: Inspirata on May 11, 2011, 11:27:53 PM
Quote from: DJ Makto on May 11, 2011, 09:08:51 PM

If the software is cheaper than $1000 a dongle seems like overdoing it IMHO.  I too wish ProTools had VST/VSTi plugin support, or at least AU plugin support as opposed to RTAS only.

The other downside to a lot of the good DAWs is there's no easy way to "try before you buy".  Perhaps one reason might be that they're too "heavy" to download and install :P

Here I prefer FL over Reason, Live, or any similar DAW because it's professional quality at a superb price (some $299 for the Signature Bundle vs. something more expensive), even if it has some tough workarounds (which might be eased up in future versions of the DAW due to lifetime free upgrades!).  Sometimes I wonder how Image Line can manage ::)

Yeah you really can't go wrong with FL, Though I wish the mixing interface was more like Sonar or Logic.

Best part of FL is that they don't treat their customers like criminals by imposing cumbersome anti piracy tools like dongles or challenge/response that are prone to glitching at the worst times.

bommel

Quote from: DJ Makto on May 11, 2011, 11:32:19 PM
Best part of FL is that they don't treat their customers like criminals by imposing cumbersome anti piracy tools like dongles or challenge/response that are prone to glitching at the worst times.
This, together with the lifetime free upgrade service :)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: DJ Makto on May 11, 2011, 11:32:19 PM
Yeah you really can't go wrong with FL, Though I wish the mixing interface was more like Sonar or Logic.

In some ways I actually have a preference for FL's GUI.  The workflow, however...

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

'Oma Tirea

~ B U M P ~

Regarding the included synths, I've noticed that neither Logic, Pro Tools, nor Cubase has even one additive synth, good audio DAWs as they are.  This is why I'm still with FL Studio.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

bommel

I'm actually doing much with Reason 6.5 but mostly recording audio. Though I like FL Studio's workflow with patterns, I don't like recording audio with FL.

DJ Makto

Quote from: bommel on August 15, 2012, 03:54:17 PM
I'm actually doing much with Reason 6.5 but mostly recording audio. Though I like FL Studio's workflow with patterns, I don't like recording audio with FL.

Yeah recording on FL is far from optimal--I now have Adobe Audition for that.  :)