Industrial/EBM (and related genres)

Started by NeuraltNätverk, August 02, 2010, 02:08:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeuraltNätverk

It's about all I listen to these days. Briefly industrial music emerged around the late 70s / early 80s out of earlier experimental and electronic music, for instance, Kraftwerk (who started out with a lot of very strange noisy material before they started going all synthpop). EBM (electronic body music) then is a fusion of industrial and electronic dance music. It has a more easily identified beat although the two genres share a lot in common otherwise, to the point that it's sort of splitting hairs to distinguish them sometimes.

I recognize that this forum is pretty much PG, perhaps PG-13, so I'm going to rein in what I post here. Industrial tends to center around provocative, deviant or even revolting themes (war, fascism, horror, civil unrest, machinery, sadomasochism, etc.) so I will be limited in what can I post but I can whet your appetite:

Skinny Puppy - Tin Omen

Abrasive but pretty clean. This era of Skinny Puppy is very representative of a raw, sample-laden sound of the 80s that's become my favorite.
"Uhh ... we should put it out something that it likes and then when it comes to get it we can kill it."
"Oh yeah heh heh ... cool ... um heh ... what do flies like?"
"Uhh ... they like garbage and crap."
"Oh yeah yeah heh heh ... flies are pretty cool sometimes, yeah eh heh heh."