Learn Na'vi band

Started by Ezy Ryder, January 17, 2010, 09:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ezy Ryder

I've got an idea. Why don't we make a Learn Na'vi users only band? I don't mean to play songs from movie or sing in Na'vi but... You know, some covers, own songs and other things of that kind. I could play the guitar, lead or rhythm part, but I prefer the lead. We would need a drummer, a bassist and eventually a vocalist or (also eventually) keyboardist.

Swok Txon

that's a fantastic idea, I'm music-ly retarded so I'm definitely not taking this in but i have a few friends that may want to, i will try find them

Danecki

I can play piano pretty well, but I guess I'm too far from you guys to join your band.

Ezy Ryder

We could always do something like recording separately and putting it all together in audacity or that kind of stuff, You know, like in YouTube orchestra. Or we could use Skype, but I'm not too sure 'bout it.

Elektrolurch

Then I'll play the bass guitar ;D
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Eyamsiyu

You've got a drummer here.  I've also had my experience in guitar, and though I have never played one, I could pick up on bass quickly.  Played keys as well, and have gone through a few basic music theory courses (though sometimes I like to be different and NOT follow the standard rules, for a more interesting sound).

I could give you guys a whole resume on my past drumming experiences, but I'll sum it up very easily: I can keep a beat without losing tempo (and if I hear the bass line, I can help follow/lead it).  I've played rock, latin, jazz, orchestral/rudimental, and am currently working on my double-bass technique (more or less for embellishment, not blast-beats).

I will say very quickly, though: I don't have access to a set of my own where I am.  I might be able to talk to a friend who has an electronic set about using it for a couple times.

I've had my experience on recording as well, and here's what I have found to be helpful when recording: set the chord structure for the whole length of the song, so there is a basis to work off of.  Then record the bass guitar first.  Then drums, then guitar, then "extras."  Then comes the hard part: balancing it out to sound really good.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Is.

This is a great idea! Have you seen this:

Klenginem - SuvwI'pu' qan tu'lu'be

Would be great to advertise the Na'vi language through music like this!  :D

(Just make sure to get the grammar right before recording the vocals. Cheers!)

Eyamsiyu

Just going to say ahead of time, if we do rap, I'm out.  Firstly, I don't really like it that much, and secondly, I believe that Na'vi is a little too beautiful of a language to be rapped: I think it has to be sung.

Also, I'm going to quote a famous person in regards to music, especially for us first starting out: "Simplicity is not stupidity." (Steve Jordan) We can still get a groove off of simple stuff.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

Is.

I did not mean that it had to be hiphop of course. Any kind of genre using Na'vi lyrics would be awesome in my opinion.  :)

(Like you, Autakuk'Ekong, I'd personally avoid rap for Na'vi, hehe.)

Elektrolurch

I thought about something between blues, rock, metal and jazz...

Eyamsiyu

Sounds good to me.  But I think combining all four might be a little difficult.

Blues-rock: it's been done: John Mayer.

Rock-metal: self-explanatory.

Blues-jazz: also been done: Count Basie, etc.

Jazz-metal: Not that I know of.  We could always do "swing-metal."  I mean, the first thing that comes to mind when I think of jazz is that the eighth note is swung.  Why not write metal-swing?  We'd have to have some pretty damn good guitarists (knows ALL scales, major, minor, dorian, mixolydian, etc.), but if we get that, it'd be a revolution of sorts.

Ezy Ryder

I think that it would be better if we wouldn't think only, what genre to play in but just play and try to name it. Besides not always mixing few genres is good. Then simpler, then better. You know, "Music is more like a direction" (Jimi Hendrix).

Eren

I can be the keyboardist, if needed.

Ezy Ryder

Good, two guitarists, bassist, keyboardist and drummer. Who would need more?

Elektrolurch

Somebody, who does the vocals?

Eren

It could be also informative if everyone write their favorite pieces, bands and so on.

Elektrolurch

Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath

The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Yardbirds

Queen, Pink Floyd, Dire Straits

Ezy Ryder

The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Led Zeppelin, Gypsy Sun and Rainbows, The Doors, Fat Mattress, Band of Gypsys, Black Sabbath, Dave Brubeck's Jazz Quartet, The Beatles, B.B.King, Ray Charles, Jerry Lee Lewis, John Lee Hooker, Cream, The Rolling Stones, Jethro Tull and many others of '60s and that kind of stuff. Favorite songs? Most songs of bands from the upper part of that post.

Elektrolurch

Eyamsiyu

Anything with either a lot of layering (multiple elements within the music) or complexity in the instrumentals.

Probably why I like Big-Band Jazz and Metal.