Metal Heads

Started by Txuraeyktan, August 09, 2010, 07:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

QuoteI basically categorize them as metal because they don't sound like Hard Rock at all, and they are not into the "same" energy as Hardcore is. Limp Bizkit (and Linkin Park for the matter) are both very metal sounding, if you exclude the occasional rap, funk style they have. (and the clothes IMO ^^)

Agreed on Linkin Park. However: To me, Limp Bizkit doesn't sound like pure Metal. Sure, they have their influences, but i consider them more Hard Rock then Metal. But they aren't really Hard Rock either. Perhaps somwhere in between? Also: Their Punk influences are quite obvious: The drum beats and type of screaming are the most appearent. My conclusion: Limp Bizkit is not just Rapcore. Their also ``Thrash/Punk/Pop Metal´´. For ``proof´´, listen to this:

QuoteI mean, if you really listen to Hardcore; which are going the more Thrash way with lots of energy speed, and aggression

Do you mean like this?:

About Limp Bizkit: In some of their songs, they have a sort of guitar-echo-groove that reminds me of the pshycedelic Rock hippies usually listen to. I think it sounds very comfy  ;D. Like in these songs:

Song: It'll Be OK
Album: Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Favoured Water  ;D

And:

Song: My Way
Album: Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Favoured Water

One last thing: To me, ``Virgin Tea´´ sounded kinda Punk. Are SOAD by any chance a Metalcore band (I also thought i heard some traces of NU-Metal in there ,too. Or, to be more precise, KoRn.)?
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Kelkuyä Eyktan

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 21, 2010, 11:08:38 AM

Agreed on Linkin Park. However: To me, Limp Bizkit doesn't sound like pure Metal. Sure, they have their influences, but i consider them more Hard Rock then Metal. But they aren't really Hard Rock either. Perhaps somwhere in between? Also: Their Punk influences are quite obvious: The drum beats and type of screaming are the most appearent. My conclusion: Limp Bizkit is not just Rapcore. Their also ``Thrash/Punk/Pop Metal´´. For ``proof´´, listen to this:

I would like you to define Pure Metal. Does that perhaps have anything to do with the term True Metal to you? If so, I wanna know :P But tbh, they don't have any Thrash segments at all. Cause look, almost EVERY genre have created at least one song being aggressive, fast, energy flowing... but they are still not the same. I mean, take... Slipknots Heretic Anthem for example. Probably one of their most "Thrashiest" songs. Still, I wouldn't call them a Thrash metal band, just because of that song alone (  some ,just some other) If you're gonna start changing and correcting bands genres regarding how to how they seem to sound like this and that genre all together, it's not gonna mix up good in the end. IMO, I stay to that specific (sub) genre that the ALBUM sticks to. Lets take Kreator as example. In the early 80's they were all old-school thrash (almost a bit death) metal. Then they moved on to more speed/melodic-thrash/more musical metal, and then in the 90's over to industrial, even goth! It was a huge turning point for them. But then they came back in early 21st century again, but with a whole new Melodic-Death (GOthenburg) feel. And now their latest album is a perfect mix between Gothenburg and Thrash metal. The final concussion I make: You can split a bands album into different sub-genres, even genres if you so like! But stick to that genre while talking about the songs as the album as A WHOLE! But if you go in more depth, into just ONE song, then you may bring in aspect of how it may mix sounds/styles and all s*** :P

Do you mean like this?:

Sorry, but, no... not even close. :/ One thing to define a thrash song easily is by the speed. And this one didn't really have it. But I mean, there even are different aspect in Thrash metal alone. They can sound like middle Testament stuff, or all time Slayer stuff, or Early Annihilator... there just is no easy way to describe any of this. If you would, you'd have to bring in how the guitars are tuned, what kind of drum beat they are playing, the lyrics, the lyrics theme, influenced bands, the lot! Although, one thing that can define thrash almost even more easily, is the classical Thrash beat.
So, let's say that Du is the bass drum, and Da is the snare. And - being a beat in between in the middle, let's say we play 8/4 notes. A thrash beat would go something like this:

du-dadududa-dudadududa-dudadududa-dudadududa.
If you don't get it, listen to ANY fast Slayer song and I promise you will hear it ;). Otherwise, This song just reminded me of Nu-Metal tbh.

About Limp Bizkit: In some of their songs, they have a sort of guitar-echo-groove that reminds me of the pshycedelic Rock hippies usually listen to. I think it sounds very comfy  ;D. Like in these songs:

Song: It'll Be OK
Album: Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Favoured Water  ;D

And:

Song: My Way
Album: Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Favoured Water

One last thing: To me, ``Virgin Tea´´ sounded kinda Punk. Are SOAD by any chance a Metalcore band (I also thought i heard some traces of NU-Metal in there ,too. Or, to be more precise, KoRn.)?

Oh man, Metalcore? Haha, I have no idea where you got that from :P But no, many have mistaken Soad for Nu-Metal. So Nada!!! They are actually; ALternative Metal  :D I can understand you though, yes, Alternative is not much different than Nu-metal. But there are these small twists and turns both genres do that separates the two.

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Nice bands for me Kelkuyä Eyktan, though I already like them. ::)

Here:

Emtokay

Kelkua
Thrash depends as well, if you look at the Big Four, Megadeth were crazier, Anthrax were rappier, Slayer were faster and Metallica were heavier, they're all thrash. If you want to know proper thrash I suggest you go an buy Metallica's Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All. Slayers Raining Blood or Seasons In The Abyss. Megadeth's Rust In Piece. And I don't know of much Anthrax.

That du-dadududa-dudadududa-dudadududa-dudadududa thing just defines galloping to me. (I'm a muscian, drums bass keys flute guitar vocal) galloping is used in many different genres, and it doesnt define thrash
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

QuoteGöteborgs posten, jaha jaså  Where in Sweden is Metaltown held? Would be awesome to finally get an opportunity to watch some live shows  Yes, I know... I'm a n00by at that ^^

Oh, sorry for not telling you sooner. These looooooong posts make me dizzy.

It is held annualy in Gothenburg. Before it was held at a place called ``Bananpiren´´, which is situated in central Gothenburg, by the river ``Göta Älv´´. However: This year it will be held at a place i think was called ``Torslanda Galoppbana´´ which lies outside central Torslanda, a district in the western corner of Gothenburg, near the coast. Sorry if my descriptions doesn't say you anything, because i don't know if: 1. You've ever been to Gothenburg. 2. Where you live, which kinda co-relates to question #1.

QuoteNew input: Have anyone heard of a Swedish band named Rage? (maybe you have Göteborgarn? ) I've absolutely fallen in love with one of their ballads <3 Right now, they are on a strong position at 2nd place on my list of most musically talented bands. Metallica as 1st ^^

The name rings a bell in my mind but, no, i don't know who they are. I assume they are from Gothenburg, since you pointed out:
Quotemaybe you have Göteborgarn?
What genre are they? Thrash? Death? Nintendocore  :P?

Kelkuyä Eyktan

Quote from: Emtokay on December 22, 2010, 12:23:55 AM
Kelkua
Thrash depends as well, if you look at the Big Four, Megadeth were crazier, Anthrax were rappier, Slayer were faster and Metallica were heavier, they're all thrash. If you want to know proper thrash I suggest you go an buy Metallica's Master of Puppets or ...And Justice For All. Slayers Raining Blood or Seasons In The Abyss. Megadeth's Rust In Piece. And I don't know of much Anthrax.

That du-dadududa-dudadududa-dudadududa-dudadududa thing just defines galloping to me. (I'm a muscian, drums bass keys flute guitar vocal) galloping is used in many different genres, and it doesnt define thrash

Hmm, yes, I agree. But there are of course A WHOLE LOT MORE besides the big four :P I would recommend Munical Waste, Old Sepultura and/or Testament anytime :)

It may not completely define Thrash, but if you know that it's metal, and it has the sound... and then hear the beat, trust me, you can most surely settle for that the song most surely is a Thrash metal song. Other than that, I've heard from others calling it a Skank Thrash Beat. I bet there are a ton of names for different beats though.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?1689754-What-is-the-name-of-this-beat

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrash_metal
"thrash drummers often use two bass drums, or a double-bass pedal, in order to create a relentless, driving beat. Cymbal stops/chokes are often used to transition from one riff to another or to precede an acceleration in tempo."

That would define it more than well for me.

Kelkuyä Eyktan

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 22, 2010, 01:55:02 AM

Oh, sorry for not telling you sooner. These looooooong posts make me dizzy.

It is held annualy in Gothenburg. Before it was held at a place called ``Bananpiren´´, which is situated in central Gothenburg, by the river ``Göta Älv´´. However: This year it will be held at a place i think was called ``Torslanda Galoppbana´´ which lies outside central Torslanda, a district in the western corner of Gothenburg, near the coast. Sorry if my descriptions doesn't say you anything, because i don't know if: 1. You've ever been to Gothenburg. 2. Where you live, which kinda co-relates to question #1.

I live in Uppsala, so it's quite far. It's one of the reasons I'm doubtful if I will ever visit festival in sweden :( But we (I) will see :P And yes, I've been in Gothenburg. One time on vacation, one time just on a trip to Liseberg :P. It was awesome :D

The name rings a bell in my mind but, no, i don't know who they are. I assume they are from Gothenburg, since you pointed out:
Quotemaybe you have Göteborgarn?
What genre are they? Thrash? Death? Nintendocore  :P?

Argh, terrible mistake by me :o They are German >.< So.... yeah...  ::) They are a mix between heavy and thrash metal. They have awesome musical talent :)

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

QuoteArgh, terrible mistake by me  They are German >.< So.... yeah...   They are a mix between heavy and thrash metal. They have awesome musical talent  :)

Haven't listened to the song yet. Will do it now.

Emtokay

Got me Nevermores The Year of The Voyager DVD Box set. Can't view it until xmas though :(

This should keep me sane
Nevermore - The River Dragon Has Come - Live

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

QuoteTo me, ``Virgin Tea´´ sounded kinda Punk. Are SOAD by any chance a Metalcore band (I also thought i heard some traces of NU-Metal in there ,too. Or, to be more precise, KoRn.)?
QuoteOh man, Metalcore? Haha, I have no idea where you got that from  But no, many have mistaken Soad for Nu-Metal. So Nada!!! They are actually; ALternative Metal   I can understand you though, yes, Alternative is not much different than Nu-metal. But there are these small twists and turns both genres do that separates the two.

Well, i just thought the chorus'es drum beat reminded me a lot of Punk. Not saying i think they are Punk, but they have their influences (Every band does.) and maybe Punk was one of them. About the NU-Metal-claim: I thought the way the singer sang reminded me a lot of Jonathan Davies and their ``crying´´ guitars reminded me also of KoRn (Particularly the song ``Good God´´ from the album ``Life Is Peechy (1996).) I thought they were (sorta) Metalcore 'cus i thought it was the most logical genre they would into in the Punk-Metal spectrum (You told me Metalcore and Hardcore were Punk/Metal cross-genres, remember?).

On to another topic:

Everyone who loves Disturbed, shout!!!!

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

YEAH COME GET SUM BABY!

Disturbed is great, seen some of their concerts? They can get the crowd to do everything like almost exactly at the same time, like fists in the air!

\8)/

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Mìhìl on December 22, 2010, 10:05:19 AM
YEAH COME GET SUM BABY!

Disturbed is great, seen some of their concerts? They can get the crowd to do everything like almost exactly at the same time, like fists in the air!

\8)/

And honestly, they are really good musicians too.  People like to rip on them a lot, but it's because they are their own genre of music formed from four amazing musicians.  And Dramian's vocals are so well defined too...

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Kelkuyä Eyktan

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 22, 2010, 05:20:47 AM
QuoteTo me, ``Virgin Tea´´ sounded kinda Punk. Are SOAD by any chance a Metalcore band (I also thought i heard some traces of NU-Metal in there ,too. Or, to be more precise, KoRn.)?
QuoteOh man, Metalcore? Haha, I have no idea where you got that from  But no, many have mistaken Soad for Nu-Metal. So Nada!!! They are actually; ALternative Metal   I can understand you though, yes, Alternative is not much different than Nu-metal. But there are these small twists and turns both genres do that separates the two.

Well, i just thought the chorus'es drum beat reminded me a lot of Punk. Not saying i think they are Punk, but they have their influences (Every band does.) and maybe Punk was one of them. About the NU-Metal-claim: I thought the way the singer sang reminded me a lot of Jonathan Davies and their ``crying´´ guitars reminded me also of KoRn (Particularly the song ``Good God´´ from the album ``Life Is Peechy (1996).) I thought they were (sorta) Metalcore 'cus i thought it was the most logical genre they would into in the Punk-Metal spectrum (You told me Metalcore and Hardcore were Punk/Metal cross-genres, remember?).

On to another topic:

Everyone who loves Disturbed, shout!!!!

IMO you are just making it more complicated :P I just call them what they are; Alternative. Korn are also for the matter. But I don't remember saying Metalcore was punk generated, no. Hardcore has its traits, but Metalcore; for me, nope. :D

Some more Thrash in here!

Emtokay

Hypocrisy are more Melodic Death Metal then anything

Kelkuyä Eyktan

That I know (although, if you listen to old Hypocrisy, at least I can hear a big similarity with e.g. Deicide; Satanic Metal) At the time, my intention wasn't Thrash as the genre Thrash metal, but more "We need some more relentless violence in here!"  ;D More thrash around  :D If it came out the wrong way, sorry :P

Okay, here we have some Thrash Metal.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

QuoteI would like you to define Pure Metal.

What i mean is: The old school, groundlaying Metal-bands that started the genre, i.e. Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. I think Limp Bizkit strays a bit too far away from that too be called ``basic´´ Metal.

And: Yeah, i remember that i've read that Rapcore is an sub-genre of Alternative, which tends to sound quite different from ``basic´´ Metal.

QuoteEveryone who loves Disturbed, shout!!!!
QuoteYEAH COME GET SUM BABY!

8)/
QuoteAnd honestly, they are really good musicians too.  People like to rip on them a lot, but it's because they are their own genre of music formed from four amazing musicians.  And Dramian's vocals are so well defined too...

Cool! I have a suprise for you guys later on  ::) 8)...

But first:

Two of their, IMO, best songs (They're part of the upcoming surprise  8).):

Song: Stupify
Album: The Sickness

And:

Song: Ten Thousand Fists
Album: Ten Thousand Fists

Human No More

I just ordered my ticket for...

MANOWAR

;D

\m/

Next year... I can't wait.

Also, sorry, limp bizkit are not metal, they are rap (by a white guy) with a guitar in the background. Of all the embarrassment to metal that 'nu-metal' is, they are truly terrible. As a Manowar fan (perfect timing), I say death to false metal \m/
Disturbed aren't terrible, but not really my kind of thing.

Anyway... MANOWAR!!!! ;D
I haven't been this excited about a gig for about 5 years.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Kelkuyä Eyktan

I may agree (just an inch more) to that Limp Bizkit ain't metal (but I still do think so), but please, it is all about taste. (and obviously you see people here liking it) Don't start bashing other genres you don't like by calling them an embarrassment or terrible in the presence of what you think is better, it looks bad. I would choose Nu-metal in front of Power metal at anytime after all. 8)

It may not Nu-Metal, but Alternative.  :D

Mudvayne - Dig - Official Music Video

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 23, 2010, 10:15:42 AM
QuoteI would like you to define Pure Metal.

What i mean is: The old school, groundlaying Metal-bands that started the genre, i.e. Black Sabbath and Judas Priest. I think Limp Bizkit strays a bit too far away from that too be called ``basic´´ Metal.

And: Yeah, i remember that i've read that Rapcore is an sub-genre of Alternative, which tends to sound quite different from ``basic´´ Metal.

QuoteEveryone who loves Disturbed, shout!!!!
QuoteYEAH COME GET SUM BABY!

8)/
QuoteAnd honestly, they are really good musicians too.  People like to rip on them a lot, but it's because they are their own genre of music formed from four amazing musicians.  And Dramian's vocals are so well defined too...

Cool! I have a suprise for you guys later on  ::) 8)...

But first:

Two of their, IMO, best songs (They're part of the upcoming surprise  8).):

Song: Stupify
Album: The Sickness

And:

Song: Ten Thousand Fists
Album: Ten Thousand Fists

I'm getting to the surprise soon enough. But first...

Kelkuyä Eyktan

YEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!

that is a shout 8)