Metal Heads

Started by Txuraeyktan, August 09, 2010, 07:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emtokay

Queensryche are Prog. Rock/Metal as well.
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: EmtokayQueensryche are Prog. Rock/Metal as well.

Oe tsleram. Irayo for the info, ma Emtokay  :)!

Quote from: Teyl Maktoyu AyfìwopxäI'm talking about the fact that apparently alot of people cant have fun on a large dancefloor, while there's a couple hunderd attendees, while last time, at this metal event, it was only like 20 square meters, it was already filled, but people managed to get moshing etc... anyway...

Irayo for clearing that up, ma tsmukan  :)! Makes me think of when i was at Metaltown, here i Gothenburg, last year and it was completely crowded around the stages, yet somehow you could, with a little effort, squeeze yourself through the crowd. The crowd was very cooperative given the fact that most of the people there probably hardly knew anyone else who was there  :). The moshpits were awesome  :o :)!

Here's some more from Death Destruction:

The Shredding March on their self-titled debut album (2011):

Death Destruction - The Shredding March

I was going to post another song as well called Kill It but unfortunately i couldn't find a clip of it on Youtube of good quality  :(.

Anyway; Hope you've enjoyed it  :)!
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Human No More

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on January 14, 2012, 01:11:46 PM
Quote from: Human No More on January 11, 2012, 05:10:40 PM
Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 16, 2011, 04:58:58 AM
A world without Metalcore, Deathcore and Industrial: You wish  ;D! Seriously, though; I think they're here to stay  :-\.
They said the same thing about glam, and nu-metal :P
Metal itself is here to stay, certainly, but not any specific spinoff genre, although industrial has been around longer than others, I guess.

Hmm... I think you have a point there, ma HNM  :-\. I mean, look at old-school Rock'n'Roll; There's almost no newcomers to the genre today and it's played almost exclusively by the really old bands that founded the genre (i.e. Rolling Stones)  :-\.
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs, with some of the stuff that gets marketed as 'rock' these days, especially on radio/TV.

Quote from: Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä on January 21, 2012, 09:11:00 AM
I'm talking about the fact that apparently alot of people cant have fun on a large dancefloor, while there's a couple hunderd attendees, while last time, at this metal event, it was only like 20 square meters, it was already filled, but people managed to get moshing etc... anyway...

So true. This venue that used to be around here had a pillar in the middle of the pit, and every gig someone would end up running into it; I did a few times - nobody cared ;D
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

the 21st i went to a concert that had Dommin, Amorphis, and Nightwish... will post pictures later... got to meet marco form nightwish and shake his hand, i was squuueeeee so hard once he was out of sight.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Emtokay

Anyone here into Djent? Well I've just got myself a position as guitar shredding dood in a djent project in my town.

This genre is a genre based on Progressive Metal. Particularly in the Meshuggah side of things. The term Djent comes from the sound the guitar makes, and it's somehow got it's own genre now. Not to be confused with Core but stuff is confusing these days so here's a good one I found.

Uneven Structure - Frost

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

Quite a strong bass you got there, I played the song and that was the first thing I noticed.

EDIT: Overall a good song, that is, in my perspective of good songs.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Human No More on January 25, 2012, 07:53:05 AM
Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on January 14, 2012, 01:11:46 PM
Quote from: Human No More on January 11, 2012, 05:10:40 PM
Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 16, 2011, 04:58:58 AM
A world without Metalcore, Deathcore and Industrial: You wish  ;D! Seriously, though; I think they're here to stay  :-\.
They said the same thing about glam, and nu-metal :P
Metal itself is here to stay, certainly, but not any specific spinoff genre, although industrial has been around longer than others, I guess.

Hmm... I think you have a point there, ma HNM  :-\. I mean, look at old-school Rock'n'Roll; There's almost no newcomers to the genre today and it's played almost exclusively by the really old bands that founded the genre (i.e. Rolling Stones)  :-\.
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs, with some of the stuff that gets marketed as 'rock' these days, especially on radio/TV.

What do you mean, ma tsmukan  ???? Could you elaborate, please  ????

Quote from: EmtokayAnyone here into Djent? Well I've just got myself a position as guitar shredding dood in a djent project in my town.

This genre is a genre based on Progressive Metal. Particularly in the Meshuggah side of things. The term Djent comes from the sound the guitar makes, and it's somehow got it's own genre now. Not to be confused with Core but stuff is confusing these days so here's a good one I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ojkjS0BGS_k

Pretty interesting IMO. Not on my ``like´´-side, though, at least not yet. With quite many songs i listen to that i find ``interesting´´ it takes a couple of listening before i really start ``liking´´ them. So don't worry, ma tsmukan: All hope is not lost  ;).

Sounds like a mix between Meshuggah and Soilwork IMO, with a bit of Metalcore in there as well. I know you said that you shouldn't mistake this with any of the -Core genres. I still think some of the drum beats sound a bit Metalcore-y, though. But i'll take your word that this is Prog. Metal/Djent since i don't know so much about those genres and i trust that your knowledge regarding this greatly exceeds mine  :).

Quote from: Teyl Maktoyu AyfìwopxäI'm talking about the fact that apparently alot of people cant have fun on a large dancefloor, while there's a couple hunderd attendees, while last time, at this metal event, it was only like 20 square meters, it was already filled, but people managed to get moshing etc... anyway...
Quote from: Human No MoreSo true. This venue that used to be around here had a pillar in the middle of the pit, and every gig someone would end up running into it; I did a few times - nobody cared ;D

Lol ma HNM  ;D!

Emtokay

Drums are just polyrhythms in unusual time signatures. Very common in Prog, listen to the song This Dying Soul by Dream Theater and Portnoy plays one right before the final keyboard solo

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Speaking of polyrhythms, ma Emtokay: What's the differance between Djent and Math Metal  ????

Emtokay

Well djent isn't a genre, really. It's a guitar tone which gained popularity in Progressive Metal by (eg. Meshuggah, Misa 'Bulb' Mansor (Periphery)).

Djent is used to describe a certain kind of guitar tone characterized by medium-high gain, a quick-release noise gate to emphasize staccato playing, a cut of most bass below 200Hz for a tight low end, a slight boost around 800hz for clarity, and a noticeable boost around 1.6Khz to emphasize pick attack. When a two-octave power chord is palm-muted with this tone, a "djent" sound is created rather than the typical chunkier sound.

Djent also refers to repeated staccato playing of the lowest-pitch string on a detuned 6 string or 7 string guitar with a powerful attack such that the string goes very slightly sharp upon the pick's release from the string. Lower-gauge strings are used to facilitate this.

Djent tone is many times created using a Line 6 amp modeling product such as the Pod series or the Fractal Audio Axe-Fx. When possible, an amp model such as the Big Bottom or Modern High Gain on these devices is used in conjunction with a modeled Tube Screamer in front. Engl and Mesa amplifiers are typically used when tube amplification is preferred.

Djent is widely acknowledged to have come first from Meshuggah, but Misha 'Bulb' Mansoor has arguably popularized the sound. Djent's typical uses give rise to a "genre" of djent that is characterized by hi-fi compressed production, polyrhythmic/staccato distorted riffs and ambient clean passages which make liberal use of 9 and other "jazzy" chords. Electronica influences such as glitchy percussion and synthesizers are also incorporated

Human No More

It's also used to refer to bands with a similar sound (although, yeah, still not completely a genre, but somewhere in between).

Anyway, news time.
http://www.dragonforce.com/2012/02/02/dragonforce-reveal-details-of-new-album/
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Dragonforce - Cry Thunder New song, good quality with lyrics
April 15th.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Irayo for the explanation, ma Emtokay  :)! And you too, ma HNM, for your (although brief  :P) extra clearing up of things  :)!

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

A band i quite recently discovered and that i've listened to quite a lot for the past few weeks: A Finnish Metalcore band called Kiana.

Although i'm quite skeptical to the genre as a whole, i must say i think Kiana are pretty good  :).

Here are the songs i've heard by them so far, all from their (debut-  ????) album Abstract Entity (2009):

Greed:

Kiana - Greed (HQ)

Beloved Addiction:

Kiana - Beloved Addiction (HQ)

Son Of The Dawn:

Kiana - Son of the Dawn (with lyrics)

Heartburn:

Kiana - Hearthburn (with lyrics)

And last but not least, my favorite by them so far; Scars:

Kiana - Scars (with lyrics)

Hope you've enjoyed it  :)!

Emtokay

The 101 rules of Power Metal.

1. You have one goal: be epic.
2. Let no sound be lonely. If there's a guitar solo, harmonize it. If there's singing, make it a choir.
3. Keyboards offer a way to add thousands of different textures to a song. Find two of those that you like and use them on every song you write.
4. In a power metal world, everything steel is good, and anything good must be compared to steel.
5. You are not bound to sing about Satan, evil, and/or darkness.
6. You are bound to sing about dragons, freedom, and/or power metal.
7. Remember how no sound should be alone? Same goes for albums. Everything can have a sequel!
8. You are allowed to be blonde.
9. Swords enhance your credibility and your performance. Be sure to carry one regardless of whether or not you know anything about using one.
10. Pick a theme and stick to it. Manowar are warriors of true metal, and they don't get to sing about anything else. Rhapsody has their Algalord chronicles. Hammerfall has their steel, hammers, and templar. Running Wild has pirates. Blind Guardian has Tolkein. None of them are allowed to sing about anything else.
11. If you have to sing about something else, put together a side project to do it. Avantasia is the perfect model.
12. Ballads are permissible.
13. That doesn't mean your ballads can suck.
14. The longer a song is, the more epic it is. See rule #1.
15. More solos means more epic.
16. If at all possible, be Michael Kiske.
17. If this is not possible, pretend to be Michael Kiske.
18. Your album cover should include at least one of the following: fire, steel, weird glowing magical items, irregularly muscular men, fists thrust into the air, weaponry, magic creatures (preferably dragons), or bright beams of light around somebody/something.
19. 'Grim' and 'necro' don't apply here; they just make you look silly. Now go back to singing your 20 minute epic about dragonslaying!
20. Power metal depends on power chords.
21. 16th notes are the only notes.
22. Unless you're singing, in which case you are not permitted to hold a note for any less than 2 bars.
23. Keyboards get solos, too.
24. If you can't be Michael Kiske, you can at least be Timo Tolkki.
25. Actually, don't be Timo Tolkki.
26. In case you didn't know, "symphonic" is synonymous with "epic." See rule #1.
27. Just because 300 bands before you have already done "epic," there's always room for more.
28. Songs come in two tempos: metal and ballad.
29. You are officially the only group of people who can refer to themselves as 'mighty' without being laughed at. Much.
30. Audiences need to be able to sing along. Make it catchy.
31. Sing in English, even though your fan-base will be comprised entirely of Brazilians, Germans, Japanese, Swedes, and Finns. See rule #30: if it's not catchy, it's harder to sing in a language that is not your first.
32. Play in as many bands as possible. More side projects and guest appearances means more epic!
33. Tight. Pants.
34. You don't have to detune your guitars.
35. Though you probably should drop them a half-step.
36. Unfortunately, you need at least two guitar players. How else are you going to have dueling guitar solos?
37. Keyboards may substitute for one guitar player, as long as they can solo.
38. Fortunately, you don't need a bass player! Or at least, you never have to use the same bassist twice.
39. Begin all songs with one big swelling chord on the keyboard.
40. Acoustic guitars are allowed. Sometimes.
41. It's not a tour, it's a crusade!
42. Layer your vocals, hundreds upon hundreds of times. Don't worry about them live.
43. Never use mundane words in your lyrics. Nothing is epic if you don't use words like "majesty," "glorious," "magical," and so on.
44. Wizards! You need wizards!
45. Although your costume does not require corpse paint, it will require a cape, lots of jewelry, and the aforementioned swords.
46. Unless you are Manowar, in which case you are too metal for clothing.
47. Come to think of it, don't be Manowar.
48. Wear armor if at all possible. Hammerfall can give you an idea of the variety of acceptable armors, ranging from leather to ring-mail.
49. Songs don't begin at full speed. Gradually work your way into an epic frenzy.
50. Hail true metal!
51. Acoustic guitars are for intros and bridges. Then crush them with steel.
52. Epic. Tight. Pants.
53. Higher vocals are epic vocals. Female lead singers are great for this.
54. So, male lead singes should sound like female singers. See rule #52.
55. True warriors can tell the difference between albums.
56. Concept albums are totally epic. Nobody will ever see it coming.
57. Liner notes must include pages of backstory, either of your epic saga of conquest over dragons and evil or of your epic battles with alcoholism while recording the album.
58. Drugs aren't metal.
59. Beer, however, can be served in all kinds of true metal ways.
60. "Flagons of ale." It's appropriate to your fantasy-riddled lyrics, and it almost looks like "dragons," so you score extra points.
61. Since you can't get away with grunts, growls, and other troll-like noises, you will have to sing.
62. Your accent will show as a consequence.
63. To compensate, sing about killing trolls. Preferably with the swords that you carry onstage.
64. More sequels = more epic. See rule #7.
65. Guest vocalists, guest guitarists, and any special appearances from outside your band will make your sound more epic, even if the track sounds just like all the other songs on the album with an extra solo.
666. Norsk Arysk Blak Metal! Rahhh!!!
67. Begin songs at half-tempo, and then, when listeners least expect it (i.e. at exactly the same time it happens in all your other songs) kick into full speed complete with double-bass and power chords.
68. Bass players: one note. Really fast.
69. But include one enormous crazy-ass bass fill before the chorus, even though the production will bury you so far in the mix that most people won't realize your band has a bass player.
70. Just because you don't play black metal doesn't mean you can't use Tolkein.
71. Whenever you short of ideas, pick up your Dungeons and Dragons books. You might as well be the first band to sing about owlbears.
72. Never leave Europe.
73. For purposes of rule #72, Japan may be counted as part of Europe.
74. Oh, and South America was colonized by Europeans, so it can count too.
75. Orchestras make a great addition to your album. Since you can't afford one, find a new patch on your keyboard.
76. If your live album does not have the crowd singing all the harmony parts for you, you aren't epic enough to justify a live album.
77. If you are European, use as many archaic English words in your lyrics as you can. Obfuscation is epic!
78. If you are South American, your lyrics should be closer to standard English, though nobody will ever read them.
79. If you are U.S. American, you probably aren't actually a power metal band. Sing about tanks, or something.
80. If you are Italian, write some lyrics in Latin. Your American fans won't be able to tell the difference between your Italian lyrics and your Latin ones, but Latin is epic.
81. Remember, shaving is epic, haircuts are not.
82. Entire albums must be recorded in the same key.
83. For that matter, entire careers may also be recorded in the same key.
84. Guitarists, remember: dun da-da dun da-da dun da-da...
85. Make your band logo very angular, but perfectly legible.
86. More than a logo, you need a mascot.
87. He need not be distinguishable from Eddie, but he does need to be on all your album covers.
88. At your first gig, if you feel a "rising force", do be sure not to get it all over your audience.
89. Record your best songs unplugged, and sell them as an EP.
90. Do not expect anyone to buy the EP.
91. Remember, power metal fans are not gay. They are just comfortable with their masculinity.
92. Sing along.
93. Don't get caught singing along.
94. Glitter is not epic.
95. Neither is body oil. See rule #47.
96. If you see a black metaller in the woods pretending to be a troll, see rule #9 and rule #63.
97. In your liner notes, thank everybody you toured with, even if they're Stratovarius.
98. Complain about Stratovarius constantly even though you've bought all their albums and listen to them more than anything else in your collection.
99. Power metal must be pure; do not mix it with other metal styles.
100. To repeat: be epic.
101. I ran out of funny things to say way back at rule #52, but any less than 101 rules would so not be epic

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Nice to see this thread being back up and running  :)! I was actually thinking about making a new post myself before you posted yours, ma Emtokay, but i have sort of a ``only two posts max in a row´´-policy (except in a few exceptional cases) because otherwise i'd fell like i'm just plain stealing the thread  :P.

And that's an awful long list of Power Metal rules you got there  :o! I really hope that Power Metal, for it's own sake, isn't as restricted a genre as you claim it to be  :o (:P)!

Emtokay

Read the whole thing

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

I have. And i get that it's mostly a joke  ;D.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Ma Emtokay, that list you made gave me an idea  ;):

There is only one rule for Viking Metal:

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

Oh hello, this thread is active again! :)

Well, in the past 2 weeks I've been collecting alot of music, and I could use some bandnames.

At this moment I have 3219 songs on my hard drive. that's 21,2 Gb. For some reason I'm striving for 250Gb's.

So, any suggestions?

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

And by that you mean bandnames for your band  ???