Metal Heads

Started by Txuraeyktan, August 09, 2010, 07:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

My private guitar teacher (He's a great guy, by the way  :).) has told me about something called ``Post-Rock´´, which i personally think sounds very similar to Progressive Rock, after listening to a few tracks he showed me. Like Prog. Rock, i know that Post-Rock has Metal equivalent. Do any of you guys know the principled difference between Post-Rock and Prog. Rock/Post-Metal and Prog. Metal  ????
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

they play "heroic metal acappela"  they have done covers of songs such as "fear of the dark" "primo victoria" "rebellion" and have many of their own orriginal songs
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Ok, got it. Irayo for the info, ma Tsuksìm  :)!

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

BTW: Thought it was time we put up some Metal in this thread again  ;):

Lost To Apathy by Dark Tranquillity on the album Character (2005):

Dark Tranquility - Lost To Apathy + Lyrics

Enjoy  :)!

Emtokay

Enter the nightmare, this future does implore
A techno city state, a prison nothing more
Rounded up like cattle, you're forced into the trains
Nothing that you've ever known will be you so much pain

ICED EARTH - Dystopia (OFFICIAL LIVE VIDEO)
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Pretty good song (for a first listen, that is), ma Emtokay. Irayo for sharing  :)!

BTW, since you're a big fan of Prog. Metal, i was wondering if you can tell me something about this:

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on April 02, 2013, 11:19:16 AM
My private guitar teacher (He's a great guy, by the way  :).) has told me about something called ``Post-Rock´´, which i personally think sounds very similar to Progressive Rock, after listening to a few tracks he showed me. Like Prog. Rock, i know that Post-Rock has Metal equivalent. Do any of you guys know the principled difference between Post-Rock and Prog. Rock/Post-Metal and Prog. Metal  ????

Emtokay

Progressive Rock /metals main difference is the odd time signatures that the music is played in (eg. Money by pink flood is in 7/4 time). It doesn't follow standard song structure ABCBCDC. Usually has long instrumental interludes in the song. Guitar solos usually have a strong jazz or classical influence in it and they play uncommon chords.

Prog bands to listen to
King Crimson, Yes, Rush, Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Tool, Symphony X, Queensrÿche (operation mind crime is the best starting point for this band)

Suite Sister Mary here, very big, progressive, couple odd time signatures, follows a story in the song, builds to a climax point, has key changes etc. Oh and it's from operation mindcrime

Queensryche - Suite Sister Mary

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Although i appreciate your elaborate explanation, ma tsmukan, i already knew these things regarding Prog. Rock/Metal. What i was wondering was: What's the difference between Post-Rock/-Metal and Prog. Rock/Metal  ????

Emtokay

Prog rock and metal really is the sound of the instruments, tunings, speed and metal has a more virtuoso element then prog rock

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Yeah, by all means, but where does the terms ``Post-Rock´´ and ``Post-Metal´´ come from  ????

Emtokay

Never heard of post rock and post metal

Tìtstewan

Post rock and post metal.
:)

I also found some metal songs in my collection.
Therion - Lemuria - Lemuria

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Emtokay

Ah yes, the great metal symphonies of therion

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Irayo for the links, ma Tìtstewan  :). Haven't listened to the song yet, seeing as i am currently at school, but i'll do that later, i promise  ;).

My point with all this being, like the Wikipedia article for Post-Metal states: ``As a label, some see post-metal as redundant, since some bands listed as post-metal contain many elements similar to doom metal, progressive metal, sludge metal, and stoner metal.´´

My point being that IMO there's not much difference between Post-Rock/-Metal and Prog. Rock/Metal. But then again; I haven't heard that much Post-Rock/-Metal so my qualifications for evaluation this issue is probably insufficient lol  :P.

Emtokay

Dah f***, my mate is at EPICA, and keeps texting me. I would've gone if I didn't have a car loan to pay off, the show is only 1000km south 12hr drive :(:(:(:(:(:):(:

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Emtokay on April 17, 2013, 06:29:25 AM
Dah f***, my mate is at EPICA, and keeps texting me. I would've gone if I didn't have a car loan to pay off, the show is only 1000km south 12hr drive :(:(:(:(:(:):(:

Sorry to hear that, ma tsmukan  :(. However, i find it funny how you Australians use the term ``only´´ when speaking of a 1000 km, 12 hour drive lol  ;D.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on April 24, 2013, 04:52:56 AM
Quote from: Emtokay on April 17, 2013, 06:29:25 AM

Sorry to hear that, ma tsmukan  :(. However, i find it funny how you Australians use the term ``only´´ when speaking of a 1000 km, 12 hour drive lol  ;D.

This the same EPICA?

EPICA - The Imperial March - The Classical Conspiracy
私は太った男だ。

Emtokay

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。

Emtokay

I'm gonna marry simone Simons one day