Metal Heads

Started by Txuraeyktan, August 09, 2010, 07:27:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emtokay

Marthus (Cradle Of Filth Drummer) :: Honey & Sulphur (live 2009)

Now this guy is good at different patterns and blast beats. Another person would be this guy

Lamb of God - Black Label @ Download '07 AMAZING QUALITY!!
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Eyamsiyu

Here's a song with Blast Beats written in it.  The guy drumming, Thomas Lang, composed it specifically to feature blast beats.

Thomas Lang- Meinl Drum Festival 06': Part 4

And there are a LOT of different variations of the blast beat in it.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Emtokay

Kelkuyä Eyktan

Quote from: Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan on December 04, 2010, 04:29:17 PM
Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 04, 2010, 04:08:34 PM
Just something that crossed my mind...

I've heard this musical term, ``blastbeat´´ and i wonder what defines it. I've heard it's commonly used in Hardcore, Doom-, Death- and Thrashmetal. If anyone could find youtube vids with good examples of blastbeats, please link them here  ;D.
Pretty much really fast drumming.  Here is some in a song by Vader. ;D

Hmm, to me that sounds more like gravity blasts. It's hard to hear though since the china cymbals sound make it hard to hear. :P

If you'd like to hear some clear blast beats... Also, If I would define blast beats: You just basically play with the right and left hand (supposedly with the feet too) symmetrical ;)

A good example of gravity blast on the other hand (and blast beats ;P)...

Also, first time I've actually heard someone else mentioning Vader :D Awesome! \m/ They together with Behemoth makes me love Poland ;D

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Dang  :o! Awsome skillz he's got  ;D!

I don't understand how the blastbeating drummers avoid straining their wrists  ??? :o.
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Eyamsiyu

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 05, 2010, 02:29:14 PM
I don't understand how the blastbeating drummers avoid straining their wrists  ??? :o.

Mainly, it's muscle training and, above all else, relaxing while playing.  If you tense up, you'll hurt something.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Quote from: Kelkuyä Eyktan on December 05, 2010, 01:28:01 PM

I've heard this musical term, ``blastbeat´´ and i wonder what defines it. I've heard it's commonly used in Hardcore, Doom-, Death- and Thrashmetal. If anyone could find youtube vids with good examples of blastbeats, please link them here  ;D.

Hmm, to me that sounds more like gravity blasts. It's hard to hear though since the china cymbals sound make it hard to hear. :P

If you'd like to hear some clear blast beats... Also, If I would define blast beats: You just basically play with the right and left hand (supposedly with the feet too) symmetrical ;)

Also, first time I've actually heard someone else mentioning Vader :D Awesome! \m/ They together with Behemoth makes me love Poland ;D
You forgot Decapitated from Poland as well, thier drummer was awesome. ;D

Also, I like George Kolias from Nile. ;D

NaviFreedomFighter

Quote from: Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan on December 05, 2010, 03:08:39 PM

Wow there's a whole bunch of bands mentioned I have never heard of I must get listening
Oel Ngati Kame (I See You) Its not just i'm seeing you in front of me its I see into your soul and understand you
My Na'vi Name is Ka'apeha
Tokx tsa'u uniltìranyu Slä my Ronsem si tirea na'vi
(I have the body of a dreamwalker, but my mind and spirit are Na'vi)

Away from November 3-15th (Final exams)

Quote from: NaviFreedomFighter on December 05, 2010, 09:29:06 PM
Quote from: Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan on December 05, 2010, 03:08:39 PM

Wow there's a whole bunch of bands mentioned I have never heard of I must get listening
If you want some more just inquire. ;D

Kelkuyä Eyktan

Yes, by all means ;D

Talking about Decapitated and Nile... I've heard Decapitated before, a cover they made of Slayers Mandatory Suicide song, but I really don't like the kind of growling their singer does there. I like growling with POWER... not dark and weak. Ofc Dark is good, but it gotta powerful :p

Nile, George Kollias... oh you should know ^^ He's insanely fast, yes, but he is playing way too simple things IMO, just playing them fast. He makes boring fills and nothing real creative :/ Give "Permitting the noble dead to descend to the underworld" (or something similar :p) a listen. The first song I heard from them... blew my ass away :O

Human No More

Quote from: Emtokay on December 04, 2010, 07:52:18 AM
both Ensiferum and Amon Amarth?
and Children Of Bodom. I like them enough, but I'm more excited about Ensiferum and Amon Amarth :P
Seen Ensiferum and Children Of Bodom before, haven't seen Amon Amarth yet.

As for blastbeats, read the descriptions above :P , they are common in faster power metal too.
Also, Vader and Decapitated \m/ :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Emtokay

Come on, we all know that Pete Sandoval is the god of the Blast Beat. He brought it into the new age

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Wow  :o! I must say, i liked the riffs, particularly in ``War-Path´´ by Hypocrisy. However, IMO the constant growling and über-fast hysterical riffs got somewhat tiresome after a while. These songs remind me of Avatar, a lot. Also: Nice to see where us Gothenburgers have gotten our inspiration from  :).

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Posting here to get the thread going. And, also:

The Rapcore band Limp Bizkit, if you've heard their music, would you consider some of their drum beats blastbeats? I remember Eyamsiyu (Can't remember which thread.) saying blastbeats are common in Hardcore. One of my friends, who consider Limp Bizkit one of his favourite bands, claims some of their drum beats are blastbeats. I'm uncertain about this, since what he defines as a ``Hardcore-blastbeat´´ sounds very different from the blastbeats of Death Metal.

Could someone enlighten me about this? If you need Youtube vids. as reference, just ask  ;D.

Kelkuyä Eyktan

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 09, 2010, 03:00:36 PM
Posting here to get the thread going. And, also:

The Rapcore band Limp Bizkit, if you've heard their music, would you consider some of their drum beats blastbeats? I remember Eyamsiyu (Can't remember which thread.) saying blastbeats are common in Hardcore. One of my friends, who consider Limp Bizkit one of his favourite bands, claims some of their drum beats are blastbeats. I'm uncertain about this, since what he defines as a ``Hardcore-blastbeat´´ sounds very different from the blastbeats of Death Metal.

Could someone enlighten me about this? If you need Youtube vids. as reference, just ask  ;D.

So far I've heard Blast Beats stay Blast Beats Oo But go ahead and post a vid as example :p

Emtokay

According to the Metal Archives
Limp Biskit and that genre are not counted as Metal

following bands are not accepted as Metal

Mallcore, also known as "nu-metal" by some (ex: Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool, Slipknot)
Metalcore, unless it's clearly more metal than core (e.g Shadows Fall, The Red Chord, Killswitch Engage are OK: Avenged Sevenfold, Atreyu, Bullet For My Valentine are NOT). If you are uncertain, best avoid metalcore bands altogether.
Glam rock (ex: Poison, Whitesnake, KISS)
Classic rock (ex: Led Zeppelin, Uriah Heep)
Progressive rock (ex: Yes, King Crimson, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard)
Hard rock (ex: Guns 'N Roses, AC/DC, Alice Cooper)
Hardcore (ex: Earth Crisis, Converge)
Grindcore (and all its variants; noise, crust, etc) with little to zero metal influence (ex: Anal c***, Libido Airbag)
Punk (ex: The Misfits, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols)
Gothic rock (ex: Bauhaus, Sisters of Mercy, Fields of Nephilim)
Industrial (ex: Nine Inch Nails, Rammstein, KMFDM, N17)
Cover/tribute/gimmick bands (ex: The Iron Maidens, Catch the Rainbow), unless they start as such and eventually write their own music

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

QuoteAccording to the Metal Archives Limp Biskit and that genre are not counted as Metal

I'm fully aware of that. Althought sometimes i think they sound quite metal-ish.
QuoteSo far I've heard Blast Beats stay Blast Beats Oo But go ahead and post a vid as example :p

Of cource  ;D! Here's two songs which contains what my friend considers as blastbeats:

Song: Head For The Barricade
Album: Results May Vary

I know that the part at 2.33-2.42 is a blastbeat. Just wonder if the drum beats at the chorus and the part 2.42-2.51 also are blastbeats  ????

And one more:

Song: Livin' It Up
Album: Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavoured Water

Is the parts 2.33-2.53 and 3.43-4.03 blastbeats  ????

Ooh, and one last thing i noticed in Livin' It Up:

Appearently, Ben Stiller is Fred Durst's favourite motherf****r. HRH  ;D!!!

Emtokay

From what I've learned as a drummer, blast beats don't have to involve double bass patterns at high speed. If you alternate between a single bass drum beat and a snare beat with ride or h-hats keeping time, you've got your self a blast beat

Kelkuyä Eyktan

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on December 10, 2010, 06:40:00 AM
QuoteAccording to the Metal Archives Limp Biskit and that genre are not counted as Metal

I'm fully aware of that. Althought sometimes i think they sound quite metal-ish.
QuoteSo far I've heard Blast Beats stay Blast Beats Oo But go ahead and post a vid as example :p

Of cource  ;D! Here's two songs which contains what my friend considers as blastbeats:

Song: Head For The Barricade
Album: Results May Vary

And finally, here's a pic to show how Blast Beating really looks like: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/Blast_beat_drum_pattern.png

I know that the part at 2.33-2.42 is a blastbeat. Just wonder if the drum beats at the chorus and the part 2.42-2.51 also are blastbeats  ????

And one more:

Song: Livin' It Up
Album: Chocolate Starfish And The Hot Dog Flavoured Water

Is the parts 2.33-2.53 and 3.43-4.03 blastbeats  ????

Ooh, and one last thing i noticed in Livin' It Up:

Appearently, Ben Stiller is Fred Durst's favourite motherf****r. HRH  ;D!!!

If I'd be honest... NONE of that which you posted contains Blast Beats :/ I just couldn't hear it... at all!

I think it's time for WIki to enter the discussion :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blast_beat  THere are some great sound examples to show you what it looks/sounds like ;)