Planning On Starting A Band, Need Advice

Started by Teylar Ta Palulukankelku, September 26, 2011, 03:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

So, here's the deal: Me and two friends of mine (Two brothers named Kevin and Christian.) are seriously considering starting our own Metalcore band. We've thought about the band's name and we've come up with:

1. Even Angels Will Fall, which is the name we're currently leaning against the most.
2. Dark Pavilion
3. One Last Breath

We have next to zero experience and we have almost no instruments, saved my acoustic guitar and Christian's ``practice´´ guitar with it's thinnest string broken lol  ;D. The lineup we're currently leaning towards is (At least the way i see it.):

Me: Primary vocals; Singing, growling, screaming, guitar.
Kevin: Drums, backing vocals
Christian: Guitar, backing vocals.

Note: I am a bit biased as to how i'd like the lineup to be  :P.

We are, of course, going to try out all instruments and vocal styles before deciding to see what fits us best.

So, what we need is: A fourth member (Who is probably gonna be our bassist.), our own instruments and experience.

Anyone who knows how this works and could share some information  ???  :)?
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Emtokay

Try finding a bassist whos jazz or classical influenced/trained. Jazz bass is one of the most common style lines just as common as following root note of the chord/melody/progression. That way the bass line is independent and gives a different feel to the song.

Whoever ends up drumming, they should start studying time signatures (everyone should) that way you can make something more interesting then a binary 4/4 break down. (binary = what *purists* call a boring 100011001 style break down riff on top string) it can be interesting if it's played in odd meters or different times.

One more tip, either jam or play covers until you're comfortable playing with your members, starting out writing can be good too but with the jam first method I've found it helps the band know what level of playing the other members are at.
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Emtokay on September 26, 2011, 10:15:36 PM
Whoever ends up drumming, they should start studying time signatures (everyone should) that way you can make something more interesting then a binary 4/4 break down. (binary = what *purists* call a boring 100011001 style break down riff on top string) it can be interesting if it's played in odd meters or different times.

I find 4/4, as well as other duple meters, to be soooooooooo overrated, and triple meters a close second.  Take on working with odd meters as a challenge :)

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

Emtokay

Man I'm writing a 6(1/2)/4 melody with drums in 4/4 now that's a challenge

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: EmtokayTry finding a bassist whos jazz or classical influenced/trained. Jazz bass is one of the most common style lines just as common as following root note of the chord/melody/progression. That way the bass line is independent and gives a different feel to the song.

One more tip, either jam or play covers until you're comfortable playing with your members, starting out writing can be good too but with the jam first method I've found it helps the band know what level of playing the other members are at.

Most music i've heard containing bass has a very down-tuned bass compared to the other instruments (Or maybe i don't hear it because i haven't got a ``good hearing´´ for bass  :P.). I have, however, started noticing the bass more and more in songs i've listened to for quite some time which i didn't notice before. If it was 100 % up to me (Which it of course isn't  :P. My bandmates also have their saying regarding the band's sound.), our band's bass would be very easily hearable and integrated.

I completely agree with you regarding the drumming. The one who's gonna be the drummer has got to know how to keep a steady rhythm (Or how not to keep a steady rhythm. Math Metal lol  ;D.) and different time signatures. And i'm also gonna try avoiding that common Metalcore trap with the breakdowns. Of course, we might use it occasionally but i think we should focus on something more creative.

I think jamming together would be the best way to start, too, although i could start writing song lyrics now and we could make fitting instrumentals later and like i said: We're gonna try out all instruments and vocal styles before finally deciding what we want to do.

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: 'Oma TireaI find 4/4, as well as other duple meters, to be soooooooooo overrated, and triple meters a close second.  Take on working with odd meters as a challenge :)
Quote from: EmtokayMan I'm writing a 6(1/2)/4 melody with drums in 4/4 now that's a challenge

I'll take that into consideration, ma 'Oma. Even if it doesn't become a part of our sound, it would be fun just to try it out  :).

Ma Emtokay: I'm guessing 6(1/2)/4 is pronounced ``six and a half fourths´´  ???? And is ``melody´´ the same as guitars in this case  ???? Sounds like you're making a song Meshuggah-style  ;D!

Emtokay

Dream Theater style, and it means six and a half four time. Melody can be any instrument, but untuned percussion

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Irayo for the info, ma Emtokay  :)! Now i know how to say ``6/(1/2)/4´´ in English  ;D!

BTW: What does it mean that the percussion is untuned  ????

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on September 30, 2011, 04:55:32 PM
BTW: What does it mean that the percussion is untuned  ????

Tuned instruments in general have a pitch to them.  There are many examples, such as piano, strings, marimba, vibraphone, guitar, bass, timpani, etc.

Untuned instruments really only occur in the percussion category, and are so-called because they don't really have a pitch to them.  Examples include woodblocks, cowbells, drum sets/kits, toms, etc.  In some of my music, I use the clave as a pitched instrument, thus being untraditional as clave is normally not a pitched instrument.

...and 6½/4 time ??? Even 13/8 makes more sense as a time signature :P It also seems weird to mix it with a 4/4 beat, as they don't really align with each other.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Emtokay

Listen to some dream theater, they have way more crazy stuff like that, Iirc one of their songs has the guitar in 15/16 while the drums in 9/8. And 13/8 would'nt be compound time for 6½/4 as a time signature with a /8 is counted different then one with /4

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: 'Oma TireaTuned instruments in general have a pitch to them.  There are many examples, such as piano, strings, marimba, vibraphone, guitar, bass, timpani, etc.

Untuned instruments really only occur in the percussion category, and are so-called because they don't really have a pitch to them.  Examples include woodblocks, cowbells, drum sets/kits, toms, etc.  In some of my music, I use the clave as a pitched instrument, thus being untraditional as clave is normally not a pitched instrument.

...and 6½/4 time ??? Even 13/8 makes more sense as a time signature :P It also seems weird to mix it with a 4/4 beat, as they don't really align with each other.

First of all: What is a clave  ????

FYI is was just wondering what untuned percussion was  :P. When i read ``untuned percussion´´ in Emtokay's post i thought it was weird that you even mention if the percussion in a song is untuned or tuned, since AFAIK you can't tune real percussion  :-\.

Quote from: EmtokayListen to some dream theater, they have way more crazy stuff like that, Iirc one of their songs has the guitar in 15/16 while the drums in 9/8. And 13/8 would'nt be compound time for 6½/4 as a time signature with a /8 is counted different then one with /4

I may not know much about time signatures but that sounds crazy  :o! And don't bother trying to explain to me how time signatures work 'cus i'd probably not understand anyway  :P. I think it's best that i learn it on my own  :).

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: Emtokay on September 30, 2011, 10:51:45 PM
Listen to some dream theater, they have way more crazy stuff like that, Iirc one of their songs has the guitar in 15/16 while the drums in 9/8. And 13/8 would'nt be compound time for 6½/4 as a time signature with a /8 is counted different then one with /4

Still off-the-chart weird for time sigs if you ask me ;P

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

I agree. I may not know much about musical time signatures, but i think i know enough to know that those time signatures are very unusual  :P.

Yayo

Here's an awesome band name!

Including the Clueless!! JAJAJAJA.

Good luck.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Sounds very funny, but i don't think it'll suit our intended image  :-\  ;D. I think that if we had that name people would just think of us as just another childish Metalcore band. BTW: How did you come up with the name  ???? Just curious  :).

BTW: I just want to say that i love your new sig.  :) <3! This is one of my favorite scenes in the movie  :). I love it when Neytiri picks up Jake in her arms and they say ``I see you.´´ to each other  :). I just think it's so beautiful that even though she sees Jake in his human form she still excepts and loves him.  :). It really shows that love isn't blind, it's all-seeing  :).

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

A song i first heard on the radio a few weeks ago:

The Last Time by All That Remains on the album For We Are Many (2010):

All That Remains [The Last Time]

Besides the fact that i really like this song, i feel like it represents the sound i want the band to have. The resemblance is almost uncanny, not completely, but almost  :P.

Txantslusam Skxawng

So how is your band so far? Still practicing or already playing in concerts? :P
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Seze Mune

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Txanslusam SkxawngSo how is your band so far? Still practicing or already playing in concerts? :P

I haven't really got a band so far  :-\. Me and the friends of mine i mentioned before + one other friend of mine practice at a youth recreational club but they're just my ``practice-mates´´ when it comes to the band. I feel like my ideas and the ideas of my two friends i mentioned before about what kind of band we'd like to have is too far apart for it to work  :(. They're still great guys and dear friends to me though  :).

Quote from: Seze MuneGood luck, ma Teylar

Irayo nìtxan, ma Seze  :)!

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Hi, guys  :)! I know it's been a while since i last made a post about my progress of starting a band, but here's some info about what has happened since my last post: One of the Christmas presents i got last Christmas was guitar lessons with an old school-mate of mine, which i was very happy to get  :). We practiced quite regularly during the winter and spring, but he was often busy or forgot that we'd made an appointment for a lesson so i kinda gave up on it and i haven't had a lesson with him all summer and i've hardly practiced playing guitar at all during that time. I've decided that i should try and contact him soon for more guitar lessons but i can't seem to be able to get off my lazy ass and do it  :P. I think i'll contact him via Facebook today  :).