Plugin Wars thread

Started by 'Oma Tirea, May 08, 2011, 12:00:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Oma Tirea

Tse... musicians want to seem to battle about which plugins have the best of features, etc.  Do it here, and do it nicely so this thread doesn't get a lockdown.

[img]http://swokaikran.skxawng.lu/sigbar/nwotd.php?p=2b[/img]

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

Srake serar le'Ìnglìsìa lì'fyayä aylì'ut?  Nari si älofoniru rutxe!!

DJ Makto

I'll vote that Komplete 7 is the best bang for buck when it comes to getting a massive (no pun intended) amount of synths, sample libraries, and effects plugins.  ;D

Emtokay

For pluggins I say if you want THE BEST SAMPLED and SYNTH sounds go for Omnisphere.

Other then that AUTOTUNE:P nah seriously, Komplete 7 is absolutely fantastic
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

DJ Makto

I can't argue there, Omnisphere produces some really lush sounds.

For conventional acoustic samples I would have to say either LASS + Cinebrass and/or VSL.   

bommel

Komplete is really cool though it's currently way too expensive for me :(

DJ Makto

Quote from: bommel on May 08, 2011, 01:10:20 PM

Aye you gotta wait to buy plugins when they are on sale, I was lucky enough to pick up a new version of Komplete 7 on a black Friday (Thanksgiving) sale for $300.

bommel

Quote from: DJ Makto on May 08, 2011, 01:29:28 PM
Quote from: bommel on May 08, 2011, 01:10:20 PM

Aye you gotta wait to buy plugins when they are on sale, I was lucky enough to pick up a new version of Komplete 7 on a black Friday (Thanksgiving) sale for $300.
Okay but if you can't wait :P
I currently don't have time to make music anyway due to my final exams :(

'Oma Tirea

TSe, how about cheaper plugins, such as ones under $50?  The best of free plugins (I've tried out Glitch and love it :D)

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

DJ Makto

Quote from: Inspirata on May 09, 2011, 12:09:58 AM
TSe, how about cheaper plugins, such as ones under $50?  The best of free plugins (I've tried out Glitch and love it :D)

Glitch is nice, Synth1 is another decent free synth that emulates the Nord lead 2.

Camel Alchemy player is free and has some awesome sounds.

On the NI front,Reaktor player/prisim, Kore player, and Kontakt player are free and all have quality sounds.

For percussion and niche instruments, Tonehammer and Microhammer have some great Kontakt samples (requires Kontakt full though) in the $20-$70 category. Some freebies too if I recall correctly.

I can go on and on... ;D

bommel

Kontakt/Kore player is indeed a good starting point. I'm glad they offer sth like this. I've been using this with Cubase on my Mac :)

Emtokay

M1 LE is another free downloadable plugging from korg
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

DJ Makto

Has anyone who uses FL gotten the Newtone/Pitch plugins yet? I'm curious to see how they stack up to Melodyne and Autotune.

'Oma Tirea

Just by looking at the screenshots, my guess is that Auto-tune is still better than Pitcher/Newtone, which in turn appears better than Melodyne.  Plus I'm not sure how Melodyne can do real-time processing.

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

DJ Makto

Quote from: Inspirata on May 11, 2011, 11:13:57 PM
Just by looking at the screenshots, my guess is that Auto-tune is still better than Pitcher/Newtone, which in turn appears better than Melodyne.  Plus I'm not sure how Melodyne can do real-time processing.

As far as I know, Melodyne can't do real-time processing. But, it does a decent job maintaining a realistic sound for minor pitch correction.

DJ Makto

Ok so I finally purchased the Newtone/Pitcher bundle for the no brainer price of $12 from the ImageLine site, and did a small project to test its capabilities and I must say it works like a charm, easily on par with melodyne in terms of usability, and for minor pitch changes it sounds reasonably realistic. Having little to no experience with Autotune I really don't know how it compares.

Two thumbs up from DJ Makto.  8)

'Oma Tirea

Rumor has it on the Image Line forums that they are coming out with a cool new synth that was probably based upon Harmless, called Harmor.  After seeing a vid of it, it looks like it's going to be SOOO AWESOME :D :D :D :D :D Once it comes out I'm gonna get it right away even if it has to come out at a non-discounted price of $100 $200+ ;D It even looks far better than razor.

Harmor described in 5 words: additive synthesis at its best!

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

bommel

Sounds quite interesting :)

'Oma Tirea

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 04, 2011, 09:48:42 PM
Rumor has it on the Image Line forums that they are coming out with a cool new synth that was probably based upon Harmless, called Harmor.  After seeing a vid of it, it looks like it's going to be SOOO AWESOME :D :D :D :D :D Once it comes out I'm gonna get it right away even if it has to come out at a non-discounted price of $100 $200+ ;D It even looks far better than razor.

..and after some 3 months...THE BEAST HAS BEEN UNLEASHED!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I now have it and have a TON to explore with that synth.  It is not at all your typical additive synthesizer, as it's not just adding up sine waves.  I rate it at least 10/10 ;D :D ;D

Oh, and I should mention that it was a lot cheaper than I expected: $99 on sale!

ÌTXTSTXRR!!

DJ Makto

Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on September 09, 2011, 08:35:26 PM
Quote from: 'Oma Tirea on June 04, 2011, 09:48:42 PM

..and after some 3 months...THE BEAST HAS BEEN UNLEASHED!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I now have it and have a TON to explore with that synth.  It is not at all your typical additive synthesizer, as it's not just adding up sine waves.  I rate it at least 10/10 ;D :D ;D

Oh, and I should mention that it was a lot cheaper than I expected: $99 on sale!

As far as synths go that is a pretty good price.