So... anyone else do anything in music?

Started by Eyamsiyu, December 26, 2009, 11:20:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kharvilak

Yes, hang drums are REALLY expensive, but I'd still love to have one.  Been interested in them for about three years now since I first heard one.  They are hand made in Switzerland and are hard to get.  Incredible sound though...

Eyamsiyu

I already know quite a bit about them, considering that I've never had one before.

And if I remember correctly, they don't ship them at all: YOU have to actually go there to pick it up.  I can't be certain of that, mainly because the source I got it from was word-of-mouth (granted, it was the head of percussion at Butler University who told me, so it seems to be a creditable source).

I'd want one just to see how I could incorporate it and make it a part of a steel-drum ensemble.

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tireapamtseo

Kaltxí, aypamtseoyu!    ;D  Oel ngati kameie.

I have played the piano for 11 years, and am currently studying it at university.  I played the violin for about seven years, and I hope to take it up again someday.  I am also in the handbell choir at my college - I told them we should play an arrangement of some "Avatar" music, and they said they'd be up for it if we could find anything arranged for bells (hint-hint to all you composers out there - I was thinking "Jake's First Flight" would work nicely! :D )!  My dream job is to play the piano/keyboard in orchestras for musicals (or maybe film) someday.

Once I get a better grip on the language (which, with my learning curve, will take quite some time :P ) and develop a better understanding of the music of other cultures, I would be more than happy to help in the composition of music in the Na'vi style!

Eywa ayngahu sí ayngayä pamtseohu.

Ewya, srung si oeru fte tsun kivame a fì'u ke tok kea keyey mì sìngop ngengayä,
Tírey srereu nì'aw.

Tengfya swizaw

I used to play the piano for several years, and I also play the Bass. Both electric and Double (upright).
They say I'm good at it.
I was forced to go through years of theory camp and the like, so I'm quite well-grounded in that. I compose a little in Sony ACID, and did a avatar-inspired song (http://forum.learnnavi.org/fan-music/yet-another/msg77321/#msg77321) and some techno stuff. :P

Here's to not knowing exactly what you're saying and having fun with it.

Proud founder of the DeviantART Learn Na'vi group!
http://learnnavi.deviantart.com/

wm.annis

It's a really good chance that I'm the only person studying Na'vi who is also learning how to play... the banjo.  Clawhammer style, none of that bluegrass insanity.

I play a bunch of other folky things (not always well) — Irish flute and of course tin whistle.  I played mandolin for years, but I find the longer I play it the more it makes me think of a spaghetti sauce ad, so I've switched over to a tenor guitar.

Eyamsiyu

You just need to learn guitar and you'd be John Schneck!   ;D

"... The only people that are going to have a chance to make a living playing music is the people who do exactly what they believe in ... they have to believe in this so much that they are ready to die for it." - Jojo Mayer

On indefinite leave.  Will be back periodically. Feel free to say Kaltxí: I'll get back when I can. :D

My facebook.  Please mention you are from LN if you ch

Tsamsiyu92

I play the electric guitar, have been playing it for almsot 2 years now. I'm into power metal (I like it eeeeepic).

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

My sa'nok, before she passed into being one with the Force and Eywa, was teaching me piano. Ma sempul taught me guitar, but I forgot most of it :P I want to relearn though, and possibly learn flute, too. I'm terrible at reading music, though.
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Emtokay

alright brothers the time has come for me to infrm you what i do

I play guitar mainly and have been for the past 8 years, been playing drums for 12 years, know how to play flute, bass, keyboard,
so yeh ther you have it
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

'Tsamsiyu

Just my input...

Been playing Drums for 11 years... first time I played the Drums was when I was four years old ;D
Been playing Guitar for about 5 years... more of a hobby type thing really, can read a little bit of music and can literally sight read tabs =/
I've dabbled in Bass guitar a bit, but only when there is an awesome bassline i'd like to learn.

Hoping to do something professionally as a drummer and if i'm really, really crazy possibly something in acting as well... time will tell I suppose!
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Very good!  What genre of music do you play drums in?  ;D

'Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Tskalepä Tsamsiyu on April 04, 2010, 08:22:54 AM
Very good!  What genre of music do you play drums in?  ;D

Pretty much all; the wider range you play the better, for many reasons.

When I'm really just doing it for an absolute 'feel-good' session I'll possibly play along to Tool or Porcupine Tree, sometimes 30 Seconds To Mars as well. Other days I'll play some Jazz/Funk type songs, and others I'll be doing Drum n Bass and so on!
Tsamsiyu oe lu. Ngeyä krr lu hasey.

'There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much' - Dr. Grace Augustine

'I dreamt I was a Warrior that could bring peace... sooner or later though... you always have to wake up...'

GENERATION 20: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment

Nice, so you are a very well-rounded drummer! :D

sweardsman

I've been playing piano for 8 years, tried jazz but I prefer classical also I play the flute, which (i think anyway) is much more fun! :P

El Jacko

I've been playing trumpet/cornet for 10 years now, mostly baroque/classical stuff, but I always prefer something similar to the big 3 (Copland, Gershwin and Bernstein). And a spot of jazz never goes amiss...
'Look at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us...on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam' - Carl Sagan

Kxeyo

Ok, I can play bass guitar (main instrument), guitar (a few chords, better than nothing  ::) ) and I'm currently saving money for one of those electric pianos, will start playing as soon as possible!
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P