Trying to learn Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata".

Started by 'Itan Atxur, September 21, 2011, 05:56:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Itan Atxur

And it's proving to be quite an adventure. Even a piece as easy as this has so many layers and subtleties that you really can't just play the notes. I'm finding that I really can't get a feel for the music while reading the sheet so I have to commit it all to memory :(

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Seze Mune

Sounds like a good plan.  I don't play, but I havewondered how someone goes from technical ability to play, to interpretive ability.

Kxeyo

Haha! Ever took lessons in piano playing? No? Don't try to play this piece then. :P You did? Do you know how to use pedal, how fingering works and how to play 3 melodies? I guess not. So...don't try. Anyway, while movement 1 looks easy compared to movement 3, the whole piece isn't easy.
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P

'Itan Atxur

Lol. Thanks for the encouragement :D

I'm self-taught, I do know proper fingering, I'm good with the pedal, and am more than capable of playing 3+ melodies simultaneously. I've mastered much harder pieces than this (Fur Elise, The Entertainer) I'm just a very slow learner when it comes to new songs. Especially ones like this with notes and chords that while I can play them fine, I just can't grasp the meaning behind them and it makes it hard to add feeling and depth to the actual music. I'm certainly not a perfect player. There are plenty of things I still need to learn. But I've got the dexterity and agility and am willing to put in the time.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Kxeyo

Well...which transcription do you use? I guess you know that it depends how much information's provided. Oh, and maybe you should work step by step and add information with a pencil. I mark what I often do wrong for example. Good luck with everything. ::)
Oe lu Kxeyo—

—pa'liyä maktoyu. Vitra ata'lengean oeru lu. ♾️

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 09, 2011, 11:32:47 AMActually, that would be an interesting thought; if gay Na'vi would actually mate, or just run off in the bushes for a little bum-fun!

Quote from: Alyara Arati on February 24, 2012, 06:15:11 AMKxa (Open your mouth and say "Kxa") :P