Who still listens to classical music? (~1500-1900)

Started by Kìte'eyä Aungia, March 25, 2010, 03:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Anyone here like classical music? I don't study classical music or anything like that, so I'm sort of all over the place. Here are some of my favorites:

Bach: The Goldberg Variations (BWV 988), The Brandenburg Concertos (BWV 1046–1051), The Orchestral Suites (BWV 1066–1069)
Chopin: Op. 28 Preludes
Beethoven: Symphony #5, Symphony #9
Handel: Messiah (HWV 56), The Music for the Royal Fireworks (HWV 351)
Rachmaninoff: Piano Concerto #1, Piano Concerto #3

I also like other musical genres that share the instrumentation or complexity of classical music. Folk music would be one example, but there are songs that make great use of piano and violin all over the place. I like the folk music group Leahy and I like Trans-Siberian Orchestra, especially their album "Beethoven's Last Night", which is essentially: Beethoven, the rock opera (Ode to Joy + electric guitars!). Sometimes movies or video games will have some nice stuff as well (the soundtrack to Lord of the Rings springs to mind).

DJ Makto

Yup I love listening to classical.

Personal favorites include:

Mozart: Don Giovanni (Particularly opera, K. 527: Overture)
           Requiem K.626 : No. 1 Requiem Aeternam
Mendelssohn: Too many too count...
Wagner: Die Walkure: Ride of the Valkyries
Vivaldi: The Four Seasons suite.
Beethoven: Moonlight Sonata

And many many more...

Ezy Ryder

Thankfully, many people today listen to Classical music.
Favorites? Probably Franciszek Fryderyk Chopin.

Emtokay

didnt classical music start in 1750 cause it was a backlash to Baroque music which was from
1500-1750
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Kìte'eyä Aungia

I think it depends on who you ask, and whether you're talking about the classical period specifically or the entire common practice period. Either way, that's what the tilde is for.  :)

'Itan Atxur

I'll one up you. Not only do I listen to it, I play it (piano). My favorite to play is Fur Elise.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Swokéyan

I really like classical music, but not all :P
One of my faves is Mozart - Eine Kleine Nachtmusik (yeah the title is german)
Lurkin' the forums
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play)

Kayrìlien

I don't regularly listen to "classical" music (it's in quotes because I basically mean anything written for orchestra rather than one specific time period), but one of my perennial favorites is the Hebrides Overture, aka Fingal's Cave, by Mendelssohn. Trivia: The leitmotif from this piece was used as the main theme in the "Inki and the Mynah Bird" series of cartoons from the 1940's.

Kayrìlien

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on March 31, 2010, 08:45:09 AM
I'll one up you. Not only do I listen to it, I play it (piano). My favorite to play is Fur Elise.

Oh, it's on now! :D Not only do I also play it on the piano, but I play it on the flute and the trumpet as well.

'Itan Atxur

Well I can do trumpet, but you beat me with the flute!! I also suck at sight reading so I have to play from memory :(

Neykun

I listen to classical upon occasion.  It's very relaxing.
~insert awesome signature here~

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Greg

Love classical music. but then I like bagpipes to! ;D

'Itan Atxur

Tsa'räni

Bagpipes rule.  I also listen to classical music when the whim strikes.

Txantslusam Skxawng

WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

DJ Makto

Emtokay

If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

Elektrolurch

I just learned Für Elise on the guitar. :D

Classical music is the "best" nusic ever, even though I prefer 60s and 70s Rock...
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Kekerusey

Quote from: Kìte'eyä Aungia on March 25, 2010, 03:07:20 PMAnyone here like classical music?

I do:

• Bach's "Air On A G String" (Gimme a cigar someone)
  • Barber's "Adagio For Strings" (Beautiful!)
  • Beethoven's "Für Ellise" & "Moonlight Sonata" ("House Of Dracula")
  • Debussy's "Clair De Lune" ("Ocean's Eleven" amongst others)
  • Elgar's "Land of Hope & Glory" (sheer class)
  • Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King"
  • Holst's "Jupiter" & "Mars" from "The Planets" (the former is awe inspiring the latter used in a space strategy game I used to play and seemed to me to be the inspiration for the opening scene of "Gladiator")
  • Johann Strauss Jnr's "Blue Danube Waltz" (space ships pirouetting to classical music ... need any more be said?)
  • Khachaturian's "Spartacus" (the love scene was "The Onedin Line" theme)
  • Ravel's "Bolero" (the one my late Dad loved, not the crappy Torvill and Dean short version)
  • Rodrigo's "Concierto De Aranjuez" ("The Mask of Zorro"??)
  • Tchaikovsky's "Romeo & Juliet" & "Swan Lake"
  • Wagner's "Rule Britannia Overture" (well obviously, I'm British and proud that we enslavedruled the world ... er ... oops)
  • Wood's "Fantasia On British Seas" (more megalomaniacal British stuff)

Yeah ... I do! Mind you I think some pure movie music can be as good ... the music from "Avatar" for example and I love some of the stuff from "Meet Joe Black" (for example) :)

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)