Are the Na'vi vegetarians?

Started by Bravestar, March 10, 2010, 03:41:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bravestar

I am asking this, because I have read it in reviews of the movie, but what is this based on?  ???

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Bravestar on March 10, 2010, 03:41:15 AM
I am asking this, because I have read it in reviews of the movie, but what is this based on?  ???

The movie shows Jake hunting and killing a Pandoran creature, then saying its body would go to feed the Omatikaya.  I'm going to have a hard time adding anything else without insulting the reviewers you mentioned.

Edit - So it's based on nothing, in short.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Bravestar on March 10, 2010, 03:41:15 AM
I am asking this, because I have read it in reviews of the movie, but what is this based on?  ???

The examples provided in the Activist Survival Guide and the movie suggest omnivorous (meat eating + plant eating + insectivorous/bug eating).

Yerik (Hunted Meat - ASG/Film)
Talioang (Hunted Meat - Script/ASG)
Teylu (Favored Eaten Grub - ASG/NQ)
Eltungawng (brain worm - chewed and eaten during the Untiltaron/dream hunt "NQ" or "ASG")
utu mauti (Favored fruit - ASG)

私は太った男だ。

Txaslan

Since their main activity is hunting and the tribe elite are hunters and a child is considered adult only when he first hunts, I'll say....lemme think.....no.  ;)

Keye'ung

Plus maybe its just my naivety but they do have stonking canine teeth so that would imply that they are atleast omnivores :D 
A question that often drives me hazy: Am I or the others crazy?

Kìte'eyä Aungia

Quote from: Halo Huskybutt on March 10, 2010, 05:38:50 AM
Plus maybe its just my naivety but they do have stonking canine teeth so that would imply that they are atleast omnivores :D 

It would imply that they evolved as omnivores, they could still be vegetarians culturally . . . but they're not.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

What review did you read this from? I wouldn't trust them after such a silly mistake.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tsu'roen

Yes technically they are omnivores. But I'd say the Na'vi are rather carnivores that spice up their meat with fruits and some veggies.
They are doing a lot of hunting but have no agriculture at all.
Also they are not nomadic so if their diet would be largely vegetarian they would have over-harvested the area around their home pretty fast. Plants take longer to re-grow than animals to move back into their hunting grounds.
And traveling large distances to collect some greens that give you less nutrients back than you spend in the process may make sense for us who eat too much and sit on their asses all day long but it doesn't make sense at all for members of a stone age culture that get plenty of exercise through their daily life.

Also their anatomy speaks clearly against them being herbivores. Have a look at all herbivore animals - they all have big bellies for the large (and multiple) stomachs they need to break down the celluloses of the plants they eat. And if you look through the ASG you see that this is also true for the Pandoran animals.
The Na'vi have no bellies at all but they have the canines of a predator. That indicates that they are

Of all clans we have seen the Omatikaya have the easiest access to fruits and greens. The Ikran and horse clans will most likely have an even more meat/fish centered diet.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

10x (1x 2D, 3x Real 3D, 6x IMAX 3D)
1x Special Ed. (1x IMAX 3D)

Tsa'räni

The ASG states they are in the early stages of agriculture.  And don't forget that various Na'vi clans live in other terrain types, so some may be more dependent on agriculture than others.

magne

Quote from: Tsa'räni on March 11, 2010, 01:44:04 AM
The ASG states they are in the early stages of agriculture.  And don't forget that various Na'vi clans live in other terrain types, so some may be more dependent on agriculture than others.
Yes, I guess they do something to improve useful plants growing conditions if they get problems and perhaps some planting to replace the one they remove, I assume they keep it low intensity so it's less work, they don't care for yield much as long as it's enough plants on a place to bother harvesting and the amount of plants within some kilometres from home tree is enough for their use.   

And I guess the Na'vi living in forests eat more plants than the others as they would have more types of plant and more edible ones than on plains. 

Tsu'roen

Agriculture is much more than just planting, growing and harvesting - it also includes livestock, herding animals and the like.
And agriculture also requires you to "create" the plants and animals suitable for it - something that goes against the believes of the Na'vi
I do not think that the Na'vi "agriculture" goes beyond planting a few fruit bushes and trees close to their homes for easy access, setting up some rotting tree chunks to attract and grow teylu and maybe keep some "chicken" around for eggs (or whatever else they lay). I definitely don't see them plow the ground to set up a field for wheat, cabbage, ... or other cultural plants.
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much" ~ Dr. Grace Augustine

"You have a strong heart. No fear. But stupid!  Ignorant like a child!" ~ Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

The Na'vi get plenty of fruits and veggies, even with out agriculture. They are like the Pacific Northwest Natives, who never developed agriculture but still lived non-nomadic lives. A small population with the knowledge of how the forest works, pus a lush envioronment allows you to transend the normal rule that gathering in one place will strip it of it's natural resources. The Omatikaya still work within their natural niche like the rest of the animals on pandora.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Tsa'räni

One doesn't have to have all the aspects of what we define as agriculture in place to be practicing beginning agriculture.  Besides, I'm just telling you what the ASG says.

magne

Quote from: Tsu'roen on March 11, 2010, 11:12:48 AM
Agriculture is much more than just planting, growing and harvesting - it also includes livestock, herding animals and the like.
And agriculture also requires you to "create" the plants and animals suitable for it - something that goes against the believes of the Na'vi
I do not think that the Na'vi "agriculture" goes beyond planting a few fruit bushes and trees close to their homes for easy access, setting up some rotting tree chunks to attract and grow teylu and maybe keep some "chicken" around for eggs (or whatever else they lay). I definitely don't see them plow the ground to set up a field for wheat, cabbage, ... or other cultural plants.
Main reason for not going for full scale agriculture is that Stone Age agriculture is more time consuming than being a hunter gatherer. Main benefit is that you require far less areas, the Omaticaya clan uses far more than 100Km^2 as their hunting grounds. You start with agriculture then the population gets to high so it's not a Na'vi issue.

The pa'li gives the Na'vi far greater range and carrying capacity then human hunter gatherers and I guess the Omaticaya would have to split up or travel around more without them.

Mithcoriel

QuoteAlso their anatomy speaks clearly against them being herbivores. Have a look at all herbivore animals - they all have big bellies for the large (and multiple) stomachs they need to break down the celluloses of the plants they eat. And if you look through the ASG you see that this is also true for the Pandoran animals.

Add to that, they have their eyes in front, like predators, not to the side, like prey animals. (Although this might be due to the fact that they jump from tree to tree, so they need the 3D-vision to aim, i.e., the same reason we humans evolved our eyes in front.)
Ayoe lu aysamsiyu a plltxe "Ni" !
Aytìhawnu ayli'uyä aswok: "Ni", "Peng", si "Niiiew-wom" !

Tsamsiyu Atsteu

Obviously not. Just look at the movie and the Activist's guide. I heard one review call them "vampires" (stupid huh?) Obviously they hunt and cook their meat.
To live in the past is to die in the present.

Tsu'roen

Quote from: Torukyä Tirea on March 14, 2010, 06:10:49 PM
QuoteYes technically they are omnivores. But I'd say the Na'vi are rather carnivores that spice up their meat with fruits and some veggies.
Well no, there is lots of info about them eating loads of fruit/veg...

That is true. But their whole culture seems to be centered around hunting and a rather carnivore diet. Fruits and vegetables are an (important) addition to their diet but surely not the center.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Just because they aren't the center of their diet doesn't mean they aren't a large part. In Western society, meat is usually considered the main portion of the meal. But we're still omnivores.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Col Quaritch

They may eat them but they are not, one they hunted animals that had meat and second they have canine like teeth. Good for tearing an ripping of fleash, hmmm canine teeth on a kitty cat.  ::)

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

Quote from: Txaslan on March 10, 2010, 04:57:23 AM
Since their main activity is hunting and the tribe elite are hunters and a child is considered adult only when he first hunts, I'll say....lemme think.....no.  ;)

Agree :-)