Are you joking?

Started by Toruk Taronyu, January 30, 2010, 01:18:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toruk Taronyu

Kaltxì ma smuktu!

Do the Na'vi have jokes?  It'd be interesting to learn their sense of humor.  ;D (and how it translates into their use of language!)
If anyone knows any good Na'vi jokes, get 'em posted!!
Oel tsayeie'a nìmun ngati!

Tsa'räni

They most certainly have jokes and what seems to be an overall good sense of humor.  The movie (you know, the parts where they aren't dying or fighting for their lives) and the especially the ASG actually portray them as a playful people.

In the movie we see evidence of this mostly through Jake and Neytiri's interactions.  Though there is obviously a romantic element involved, I think it still reflects the overall playful and celebratory nature of the Na'vi.  Some instances include Jake's pulling of Neytiri's tail, their sideways swoops at each other while flying in formation, Neytiri's obvious enjoyment of flying and of the thrill of toruk chasing them (once they got away).

The ASG contains this quote in scrawled notes, "Despite oppression, the Na'vi retaina joyousness and delight in Pandora's bounty.  Community-oriented, they emphasize play."  Another example, from the exact same page, is given in the description of the "utu mauti" (translated as push fruit).  Here it talks of this fruit being difficult to obtain and thus holding a special value where it is common for Na'vi to offer it to others only to be refused due to etiquette.  I continues about a common joke being for a Na'vi to take the offered fruit and make as if to begin biting into it before returning it to the finder untouched.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Toruk Taronyu on January 30, 2010, 01:18:04 AM
Kaltxì ma smuktu!

Do the Na'vi have jokes?  It'd be interesting to learn their sense of humor.  ;D (and how it translates into their use of language!)
If anyone knows any good Na'vi jokes, get 'em posted!!

Why did the Yerik (hexapede) cross the road?

I know, I know . . . (and I apologize). But if you can come up with a better punch-line, please lemme know, or just repost the joke! But it is funny--from a Na'vi perspective about the uselessness of "roads."

2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

kailaunil

QuoteWhy did the Yerik (hexapede) cross the road?

Spoiler
Because some skxawng tawtute put one in his way!

lol i liked it !!!
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Technowraith

Quote from: Tsa'räni on January 30, 2010, 01:31:33 AM
They most certainly have jokes and what seems to be an overall good sense of humor.  The movie (you know, the parts where they aren't dying or fighting for their lives) and the especially the ASG actually portray them as a playful people.

In the movie we see evidence of this mostly through Jake and Neytiri's interactions.  Though there is obviously a romantic element involved, I think it still reflects the overall playful and celebratory nature of the Na'vi.  Some instances include Jake's pulling of Neytiri's tail, their sideways swoops at each other while flying in formation, Neytiri's obvious enjoyment of flying and of the thrill of toruk chasing them (once they got away).

The ASG contains this quote in scrawled notes, "Despite oppression, the Na'vi retaina joyousness and delight in Pandora's bounty.  Community-oriented, they emphasize play."  Another example, from the exact same page, is given in the description of the "utu mauti" (translated as push fruit).  Here it talks of this fruit being difficult to obtain and thus holding a special value where it is common for Na'vi to offer it to others only to be refused due to etiquette.  I continues about a common joke being for a Na'vi to take the offered fruit and make as if to begin biting into it before returning it to the finder untouched.

The Banana Fruit explanation always makes me laugh. I should try that with a banana.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Technowraith on January 30, 2010, 09:25:57 AM
. . .The ASG contains this quote in scrawled notes, "Despite oppression, the Na'vi retaina joyousness and delight in Pandora's bounty.  Community-oriented, they emphasize play."  Another example, from the exact same page, is given in the description of the "utu mauti" (translated as push fruit).  Here it talks of this fruit being difficult to obtain and thus holding a special value where it is common for Na'vi to offer it to others only to be refused due to etiquette.  I continues about a common joke being for a Na'vi to take the offered fruit and make as if to begin biting into it before returning it to the finder untouched.

The Banana Fruit explanation always makes me laugh. I should try that with a banana.
[/quote]

Suddenly I am reminded of Disney's sickeningly polite squirrels (I refuse to believe they ate chipmunks, as I hate the sound of that word). They are minor characters, but famous for their "after you! Oh no! I could not! But I insist! . . . Only if you go first!"

It's politeness hell! (but strangely amusing)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Txur’Itan

Takuk? Takuk?

San srak?
Eywa nga.
Eywa oeri?
Oeti ke Eywa.
Eywa ngahu!
Ngati sxkawngìri, "hìyuk" ke nìNa'vi!

私は太った男だ。

Coyote

"What did the Tawtute say to the People?"
"We come in peace!"

OK, sorta bittersweet and ironic, more than truly "funny".

"What does a palulukan have for lunch?"
"Any thing it damn well pleases."

"What does a palulukan call a Na'vi marathon runner?"
"Fast food!"

In Libertarianism, there is no Government, so the Bosses are free to exploit the Workers.
In Communism, there is no Government, so the Workers are free to exploit the Bosses.
So in Libertarianism, man exploits man, but in Communism, its the other way around!

VIDEO LOG DAY 8:
Attempted to pee on Viperwolf to test reaction. Please see attached medical file.
WARNING: Attached medical file exceeds gigabyte limit. System failure.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Coyote on February 01, 2010, 02:14:04 PM
"What did the Tawtute say to the People?"
"We come in peace!"

"What does a palulukan have for lunch?"
"Any thing it damn well pleases."

"What does a palulukan call a Na'vi marathon runner?"
"Fast food!"

I vote "Win!" I especially liked the first one--it has that twist of irony that makes it memorable.

Rain

Another along the Palulukan line...

How many ayskxawng can a hungry Palulukan eat?

What is small, funny, and pink?

Yeah, kinda lame, but they make the ten-year-olds laugh.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

'Ì'awn Menari

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on January 30, 2010, 02:55:11 AM

Why did the Yerik (hexapede) cross the road?

i like that joke XD
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

'Ì'awn Menari

Quote from: Txur'Itan on February 01, 2010, 01:41:53 PM
Takuk? Takuk?

San srak?
Eywa nga.
Eywa oeri?
Oeti ke Eywa.
Eywa ngahu!
Ngati sxkawngìri, "hìyuk" ke nìNa'vi!

HRH i'm so saving that one that's funny  ;D
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D

Zalorticus

What did the Toruk say to Jake Sully?

What did Quaritch do to Hometree?

Failure is the mother of success.
Soon, we will no longer be the leaves on the wind, but the wind itself.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Join the real life Na'vi tribe here  (And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, NOT a role play tribe!)

Elektrolurch

Yep, there are Na'vi jokes.. but less than humans'. There's also other humor, just.. telling funny stories or whatever.. :D The Na'vi really do laugh a lot. :)
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

'Ì'awn Menari

In that enviorment ppl could use a good laugh ^_^
Lord and Lady Bless )O(
and before I forget...
Eywa ngahu! =D