Eywa as a new "real" god

Started by Alwin, January 19, 2010, 02:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I think if your are posting a new thread and English is not your first language you may wish to say so. That way people will be a bit more understandable that you may have phrased something wrong. This is doubly so when speaking on controversial issues.

That being said I will point out again that the majority of this conversation had little to do with Alwin's first post. It merely got the ball rolling to an important discusion. Just because she didn't want an actual religion to form out of this, others might, and it is an issue we must address. It was mentioned in other posts, but this one proved itself to be the best place to begin a more thought out discusion.

Before we called a mod I thought it would be nice if people who know religions similar to what the movie is trying to display would provide links. That way people who are curious about the religion and were thinking of starting one would have access to those that already exist and may find something there.

We really need to get a mod for this board >.>
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Atanä mungeyu

well personally i think eywa isn't a god/deity,
eywa is the name the na'vi have given for the connection between all animals and plants,
which is more beleivable because they literally have a connection (tsaheylu) with nature.
eywa ayngahu,
unilyu
I haz teh DVD yaaaayy xD

nederlandse pocket guide door mij en txura tirea.

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Quote from: unil-tìran-tokx on January 21, 2010, 03:40:34 PM
well personally i think eywa isn't a god/deity,
eywa is the name the na'vi have given for the connection between all animals and plants,
which is more beleivable because they literally have a connection (tsaheylu) with nature.
eywa ayngahu,
unilyu

That's a good point.
What do you say about, when Grace says 'Jake. I'm with her Jake. She's real.' Grace saying that, confirms that Eywa is real, she's an a true entity. So, they would call her a deity.

WolfyJ

In a sense ( I love playing the devils advocate)

"Eywa means Gaia that is all the animals and plants on the world (our world or Pandora)."

Gai at one point was a real god. In ancient times there where often more than one god to represent different things. Some in few and far places still exist today.

"1- You will always apologize when you walk on any kind of plant.
2- You will always apologize before you eat any kind of meat.
3- You will always thank for everything you get from the nature.
4- You will always try to help your world (recycle, get public transport, etc).
5- ..."

Some people who study druidism (more of a guidline than an actual religion) do that. I also know some wiccans (im not one) that respect the earth and actuatly do some of that. Ie apologize for destroying flowers or a quick prayer when eating meat to give thanks.

In a sense, na'vi is based on older religions rather than newer ones.

Again and let me re-iterate, I have a habit of being teh devils advocate but I have no i'll intention. ^_^

Lora Taw

Quote from: WolfyJ on January 21, 2010, 06:01:10 PM

"1- You will always apologize when you walk on any kind of plant.
2- You will always apologize before you eat any kind of meat.
3- You will always thank for everything you get from the nature.
4- You will always try to help your world (recycle, get public transport, etc).
5- ..."

Some people who study druidism (more of a guidline than an actual religion) do that. I also know some wiccans (im not one) that respect the earth and actuatly do some of that. Ie apologize for destroying flowers or a quick prayer when eating meat to give thanks.

well that is exactly what alwin was attempting to do.

set up some guidelines to follow based off the concept of treating the planet as an entity and not an exploiable resource that she thought was a good idea she saw in the movie.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Alwin on January 21, 2010, 12:26:48 PM
You all are answer this post thinking I had post it trying to create a new religion. For the milionth time: I'm not doing this! Holy God! May I say it in another way to make you understand it?

This post is only a "How if...". I was just thinking on how the Eywarism would be usefull to us. (I hope I explained this time.)

State your language.

Post your intended topic in your primary language.

I will modify the primary subject line for an English translation as best as I am able.
私は太った男だ。

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well yes, that's what I've been saying. Eywa is based on the old Gods, so rather than use her name and be seen as over enthusiastic fans in need of distancing you could use the old Names and have the same message.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

WolfyJ

so instead of praying to eywa, youd pray to Gai? *just curious*

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

It would make more sense. Gaia is one of the gods that Cameron based Eywa off of. The more modern interpretation of it would be The Goddess. Once again I ask the residence of this site that know more about this to leave links for the curious.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 21, 2010, 07:59:51 PM
It would make more sense. Gaia is one of the gods that Cameron based Eywa off of. The more modern interpretation of it would be The Goddess. Once again I ask the residence of this site that know more about this to leave links for the curious.

okay, please, everyone, just take this with a grain of salt. Just thoughts here.

I posted on this back in December. IMHO (only!) The na'vi most commonly share traits with the Tuatha Dé Danann. The Tuatha were (allegedly) a tribe, highly attuned to nature (and "Nature"), skilled magical workers, peaceful--except when dealing with the Fir Bolg or Fomorians. They evolved (in tales) into what we NOW call "faeries," leprechauns, and the fey/wee folk. They were not tiny, did not prance around singing songs, and most likely did not have wings. Many of these are Victorian embellishments.

The Tuatha were central the druidic belief, which became the Celtic belief, which became the Irish belief, which is now "fairy tale." (This is a massive oversimplification. Eywa can be seen best through Tuathan eyes (IMHO). She is "real" in the Sigourney Weaver sense as one can see what one imagines "God/ddess" to look like, as the mind tends to color any information that enters it, but she (in this case Gaia, as a real version of what Eywa might be on Pandora) is also everywhere (like the Force--pre miti--I can't even say that word--my mouth rejects the taste of its syllables) and everything is a part of it. It is monotheistic BUT not in an anthropomorphication sense. No human traits are forced on "her." She simply "is," in the leaf on the tree you climb, in the breath you exhale. She is the energy you summon, direct (magically or physically) and return when you leave (die). BUT she is also POLYtheistic, as this energy is not "humanized" or forced into a human shell one can point at, and therefore she can be a tree (usually an oak), a rock (the Blarney stone), a stream. It is as alien a concept to modern "city-folk" as is the Eywa of Pandora.

But if you would like to understand her, I would strongly suggest Buddhism as a self-development tool, and studying up on the Tuatha (beware, there is a LOT of wishful "faction" out there, most notably by neo-Pagans). Understanding Gaia in the Euro-Asiatic sense (post neolithic Gaia/Gaea/Gaya) will lead you to understand the concept of Eywa.

Or you could just corner JC in an elevator and grill him for half an hour and save yourself years of mind-twisting philosophical research and exercises.

Links:

Gaia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_(mythology)

Tuatha:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatha_D%C3%A9_Danann
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHMA_enUS362US363&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Tuatha+D%C3%A9+Danann
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/608123/Tuatha-De-Danann
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Thank you Dusy! You're posts are always a delight to read.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kaltxì Palulukan!

(just having some fun)  :P
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

A. A. Aaron

Quote from: dustywhite on January 21, 2010, 08:29:04 PM
Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 21, 2010, 07:59:51 PM

okay, please, everyone, just take this with a grain of salt. Just thoughts here.

I posted on this back in December. IMHO (only!) The na'vi most commonly share traits with the Tuatha Dé Danann. The Tuatha were (allegedly) a tribe, highly attuned to nature (and "Nature"), skilled magical workers, peaceful--except when dealing with the Fir Bolg or Fomorians. They evolved (in tales) into what we NOW call "faeries," leprechauns, and the fey/wee folk. They were not tiny, did not prance around singing songs, and most likely did not have wings. Many of these are Victorian embellishments.

The Tuatha were central the druidic belief, which became the Celtic belief, which became the Irish belief, which is now "fairy tale." (This is a massive oversimplification. Eywa can be seen best through Tuathan eyes (IMHO). She is "real" in the Sigourney Weaver sense as one can see what one imagines "God/ddess" to look like, as the mind tends to color any information that enters it, but she (in this case Gaia, as a real version of what Eywa might be on Pandora) is also everywhere (like the Force--pre miti--I can't even say that word--my mouth rejects the taste of its syllables) and everything is a part of it. It is monotheistic BUT not in an anthropomorphication sense. No human traits are forced on "her." She simply "is," in the leaf on the tree you climb, in the breath you exhale. She is the energy you summon, direct (magically or physically) and return when you leave (die). BUT she is also POLYtheistic, as this energy is not "humanized" or forced into a human shell one can point at, and therefore she can be a tree (usually an oak), a rock (the Blarney stone), a stream.  It is as alien a concept to modern "city-folk" as is the Eywa of Pandora.

But if you would like to understand her, I would strongly suggest Buddhism as a self-development tool, and studying up on the Tuatha (beware, there is a LOT of wishful "faction" out there, most notably by neo-Pagans). Understanding Gaia in the Euro-Asiatic sense (post neolithic Gaia/Gaea/Gaya) will lead you to understand the concept of Eywa.

Or you could just corner JC in an elevator and grill him for half an hour and save yourself years of mind-twisting philosophical research and exercises.

Links:

Gaia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_(mythology)

Tuatha:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatha_D%C3%A9_Danann
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHMA_enUS362US363&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Tuatha+D%C3%A9+Danann
http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/608123/Tuatha-De-Danann

GREAT POST!!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I'm saying it because it was a truly informative post that I'm sure will help those who want to take this path. Irayo ma tsmukan.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Lora Taw

indeed, Dusty you certainly do know what you are talking about.

this would be the perfect time to end this discussion with a lock.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Agreed. End on a happy note. I'll go get a mod now.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Txur’Itan

私は太った男だ。