Curious Question about Na'vi and Hand Games

Started by Vayrufkay, May 08, 2017, 08:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vayrufkay

If this is in the wrong area, please let me know so I may remember to post similar threads to the appropriate board in the future.

Mainly, I'm bored and curious about what possible games some Na'vi might play from time to time. Plus, seeing that there was not a thread for it or anything indicating much about this curiosity, I pretty much felt compelled to do so.
Also, slight procrastination might have something to do with this, but that's not what this is about.

Anywho, just curious if the Na'vi have hand games similar to "Patty cake" or "Arupusu Ichiman Jaku"? I keep getting the feeling they might, but I don't exactly know for sure.
It might have something to do with some learning and synch stuff, perhaps? I can't figure out the words at the moment to try to describe what theories I may have about this.  :-\

Though I will say, if there are any hand games that Na'vi play, I would love to try my hand (hah, pun) at learning them!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: FadeSolWeeks on May 08, 2017, 08:42:35 PM
If this is in the wrong area, please let me know so I may remember to post similar threads to the appropriate board in the future.

Looks to be in the right area to me :)

Quote[...]
Anywho, just curious if the Na'vi have hand games similar to "Patty cake" or "Arupusu Ichiman Jaku"? I keep getting the feeling they might, but I don't exactly know for sure.
It might have something to do with some learning and synch stuff, perhaps? I can't figure out the words at the moment to try to describe what theories I may have about this.  :-\

Though I will say, if there are any hand games that Na'vi play, I would love to try my hand (hah, pun) at learning them!

The answer is we do not know yet.  But I suspect that because of how primal and basic these are, it's very possible.  Hopefully we get to see a day in the life of a young Na'vi within the next films or in the upcoming universe about to release. :)

Vayrufkay

Ah, I see. Thank you. ^^

I really hope we get to see more about many of the aspects in Na'vi culture, including games played by younger ones, as well.

Though, now I keep thinking about a young Na'vi playing a hand game at the quickest speed they can and confusing the heck out of another one for laughs or a multiple hand game challenge tournament for a few of them.

... Hopefully my mind doesn't go overboard while thinking about this.

Tirea Aean

It makes sense, and really is a good question.  I don't think you're going overboard at all.  There are others that were probably curious about this too.  Sadly, we just don't know of any of this yet.  Maybe we will one day :)

Tìtstewan

I am not sure if one can see some random children playing a game in the background in the movie. Meh, I should watch it again.

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

allrock123

The Na'vi people by example use expressive symbolic hand gestures and lots of body language , they also reflect the games played by native peoples as a part of there community ceremony's ,, like the Ball and goal game shown in Toruk first flight,, Games that are a test of strength agility and endurance , like the examples of what the Haudenosaunee call the "Stick ball Game" or as well know it Lacrosse , where created to give warriors , a way to test there strength and endurance without hostility's , other cultures like Mayan's had a court ball game
Xcaret Pok-TA-PoK , but you don't want to be on the losing team in that culture or you never play again.
The Na'vi do not hold those aspects in there cultural ethos ..
The Dailog shared by Chief Oren Lyons on Lacrosse goes deeper to explain the deep symbolic roots of the Game in there culture .. 

Pok-Ta-Pok example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKvQjgC9sIY

Lacrosse: The Creator's Game (part one of a multi part thread more to learn here then you think)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9KRJHSoX5k

Jak Dawsiin

in one of the deleted scenes from the definitive Avatar CE, called Pied Piper, children can be seen playing a form of tag, several are kicking a ball of sorts, and others are climbing vines. i have been curious myself, to see what passes for games and entertaining pastimes in the Omaticaya Clan and others. i wonder if the Elders of the tribe have a sort of game like chess or checkers, or games involving chance but not necessarily of the gambling persuasion, of course.

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

THERE IS PRECEDENCE! for one hand game in Pandorapedia
https://www.pandorapedia.com/flora/herbaceous/pseudolilium_contortum.html

Were both young and older Na'vi play a slapping game with the plant to test their reflexes.
It would not be a far stretch to imagine other such hand games.
In my newest chapter of Ateyo ye Syaksyuk: Tsulfätu, I intend to write a counting game for a Na'vi and his baby brother.
For instance, the word 'AW mean ONE and the word AU, mean rawhide-headed drum.

I also want to convey a hopscotch game on the beach, shaped like a spiral seashell.  The closer you get to the center, the harder to keep your balance!
(My Mom taught me that game when I was young, but I can see it applied to my Na'vi beach tribe!)

I don't know how to share photos on the forum, but I wanted to share a picture of Mayans playing stickball WITH A FLAMING BALL and a bunch of Cherokee all going up to catch a tiny ball with their lacrosse sticks.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Ateyo Te Syaksyuk on August 22, 2017, 01:39:22 PM
THERE IS PRECEDENCE! for one hand game in Pandorapedia
https://www.pandorapedia.com/flora/herbaceous/pseudolilium_contortum.html
Be careful when reading Pandorapedia. Not all written there is true and correct.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Ateyo Te Syaksyuk

Faylutar oe irayo sivi,Ma Blue Elf, For these words, I thank you, Blue Elf.
I had supposed that Pandorapedia was an approved manuscript!
:o

Blue Elf

Quote from: Ateyo Te Syaksyuk on August 31, 2017, 02:15:22 PM
Faylutar oe irayo sivi,Ma Blue Elf, For these words, I thank you, Blue Elf.
I had supposed that Pandorapedia was an approved manuscript!
:o
Basically, Pandorapedia looks mostly like web version of ASG (maybe in some way more rich, in other less rich). If I remember correctly, some content was corrected, but still there's many unapproved information.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)