Differences between Avatar bodies and Na'vi

Started by Txantslusam Skxawng, February 19, 2010, 01:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txantslusam Skxawng

In the movie i have seen some differences between an Avatar body and Na'vi

Avatar body has: eyebrows, 5 fingers, normal toe's like humans

Na'vi have: No eyebrows, 4 fingers and a 4 toe's , the big (long) toe ( not human size big toe )

( hard to explain, with my limited english ) when in the movie in the sex scene , when they r crouched against each other just before the scene ends u can see Neytiri's toe's , i am sorry but its to hard to explain for me, u hav to go see the movie and focus on her toe's at almost the end of the scene
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Elektrolurch

Did you also notice, that Grace's avatar had a human nose?
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on February 19, 2010, 01:17:32 PM
Did you also notice, that Grace's avatar had a human nose?
Yes, and also that Jake said 'damn' when he first saw Grace's Avatar ( with Grace controlling it of course :p )

Off-topic : YEAH! 100 posts

Elektrolurch

Congratulations :)

I love the Na'vi's typical properties.

Tsa'räni

Yeah, the Na'vi big toe is somewhat opposable.  There are a couple scenes in the movie where you get a decent look at it, but only for a fraction of a second.

Elektrolurch

And ... Why does Grace's avatar have a human nose? Did anyone think about that?

Maweya tswonyu

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on February 19, 2010, 02:47:00 PM
And ... Why does Grace's avatar have a human nose? Did anyone think about that?

I heard in an interview with James Cameron (I can't find it right now..) that Grace's AVTR was made about 18 years before the beginning of the film. at this time, the growing process would have been a lot less advanced, and that would explain why a lot of the Avatar's features were more human than Jake or Norm's.
"You are like a baby, making noise, don't know what to do" - Neytiri Te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"All energy is borrowed, and one day you have to give it back."

Elektrolurch

Sounds kinda surrealistic to me...

It takes hundreds of years to develop such a remote-controlled body. So the nose can't be such a big problem...

Technowraith

Most likely, if grace's avatar was among the first made, it's possible that some more human features came through than subsequent generations of avatars. After all, the differences between the human avatar forms and the na'vi were unexpected to begin with.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Txantslusam Skxawng

I just remebered that the between muscle is pretty big, Na'vi have a flat chest but Avatars have pretty muscular(is muscular written correct in this sentence) bodies, so not a flat chest, as far as i know only male Avatars have that, u propably know why

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 19, 2010, 02:44:34 PM
Yeah, the Na'vi big toe is somewhat opposable.  There are a couple scenes in the movie where you get a decent look at it, but only for a fraction of a second.
I also remember( lol , i remember alot lately ) that u see Neytiri for the first time on ( her Ikran ) Seze , they show where she puts her feet for stability ( i think ) , then u can also her toe's , but i didnt saw the big differences in that scene, the other scene i was talking about gives a much clearer view for a second

Kaltxì Palulukan!

ASG says Avatars have small eyes, so if Jake were ever olo'eyktan, he would be "chief small eyes."

Oh yeah, and don't forget that awful smell!
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 20, 2010, 02:24:45 AM

Is there any indication of the smell thing beyond what is said in the movie?  Because that line could be interpreted as just a lingering smell from the human clothing/environment and not something inherent to avatars themselves.  It could just as easily be the other way, too, but if we're only going from the movie there, I don't think we can say one way or the other.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 20, 2010, 03:04:30 AM

Is there any indication of the smell thing beyond what is said in the movie?  Because that line could be interpreted as just a lingering smell from the human clothing/environment and not something inherent to avatars themselves.  It could just as easily be the other way, too, but if we're only going from the movie there, I don't think we can say one way or the other.

The movie is canon. (Period.)

Also, having just seen the movie again tonight, I ask you to look at the context that line was spoken in. "These demons." Avatars are NOT welcome at Hometree. Olo'eyktan made hat perfectly clear, and his teenage daughter still brings home "stange men."
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 20, 2010, 03:10:52 AM

Is there any indication of the smell thing beyond what is said in the movie?  Because that line could be interpreted as just a lingering smell from the human clothing/environment and not something inherent to avatars themselves.  It could just as easily be the other way, too, but if we're only going from the movie there, I don't think we can say one way or the other.

Avatars are NOT welcome at Hometree. and his teenage daughter still brings home "stange men."
Because she gets a sign from Eywa , if she didnt got a sign Jake would be dead and th RDA would be pissed , cuz they have to spend alot of money on a new Avatar

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 20, 2010, 03:10:52 AM

Also, having just seen the movie again tonight, I ask you to look at the context that line was spoken in. "These demons." Avatars are NOT welcome at Hometree. Olo'eyktan made hat perfectly clear, and his teenage daughter still brings home "stange men."

Of course the movie is canon.  I never said otherwise.

What I did say is that if we only going by that one line, then it can be interpreted two ways.  If there is no other evidence regarding the smell of avatars, then we don't really know what Eytukan meant.  It's just speculation.  The context of his lines can play into either interpretation, so that doesn't add anything to either argument.

Txantslusam Skxawng

I might sound stupid, but do you mean with 'canon'       'The movies is  canon  '

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on February 20, 2010, 12:10:01 PM
I might sound stupid, but do you mean with 'canon'       'The movies is  canon  '

Canon is referring to an accepted, official source of information for the setting.  Basically it means that anything you see/read from that source actually happened in the setting.

A fanfic would be an example of a non-canon source, while an official novel sanctioned by the Avatar group would be canon.

Interestingly, the official game is on shaky ground in terms of canon, as it appears to have been rushed and contains a lot of mistakes.  So you have to be careful with stuff.

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 20, 2010, 12:13:35 PM
Quote from: Txantslusam Skxawng on February 20, 2010, 12:10:01 PM
I might sound stupid, but do you mean with 'canon'       'The movies is  canon  '

Canon is referring to an accepted, official source of information for the setting.  Basically it means that anything you see/read from that source actually happened in the setting.

A fanfic would be an example of a non-canon source, while an official novel sanctioned by the Avatar group would be canon.

Interestingly, the official game is on shaky ground in terms of canon, as it appears to have been rushed and contains a lot of mistakes.  So you have to be careful with stuff.
I thought the game was kinda bad(bad in , they should hav worked on it longer) (But I do like the game), because of all the copyright and stuff

Kaltxì Palulukan!

What they said (you both get cookies). Let me add this example. Story canon is:

The Harry Potter books are "Harry Potter canon." Whatever JKR wrote is gospel. Voldemort is dead. Dead, dead, dead. (Sorry to spoil it if you missed the global meltdown that was all things HP.) The HP movies are considered canon (official) but not "gospel," as Warner Brothers has screwed up a LOT of HP canon. harry was always the kid with hair that was goofy and messed up and unruly--not "straight and always perfect, like that punk Daniel Radcliffe (wow, catty much? Me?  :) )

Fans (like me) can get VERY protective of their stories. I wanted HP to have screwed up hair. I wanted "uncle Dursely" to be a big mean ogre (which he was in the movies, so "that follows canon." See? :) ) FAN-FICTION can be whatever it wants, but when it strays too far from "gospel" it becomes a different story.

So, Avatar: Avatar the movie is "canon." Because there is no novel it is based off of, it is the purest incarnation of JC's vision. If and when JC writes the novel, THAT will take precedence over the movie, as novels usually do. Movies have to make budget cuts that novels rarely have to. The ASG is quasi-canon. It is "official," but has things that have been changed, and occasional mistakes we can chalk up to "being in character" or simply "done by idiots," depending on whether you like or hate the ASG. The ASG gives a TON of background information that was left out of the movie, therefore it is "canon" and considered holy--except when it disagrees with the movie. That is when we all get to fight over who is boss. For the most part, the eventual pecking order will probably be:

ABSOLUTE GOSPEL (according to J.C.)
^
|   The novel--but only if James Cameron writes it.
|   The ASG
|   Novels written under contract by famous authors
|   T.V. show spin-offs (StarAvatargate)
|   Comic books and graphic novels--and any video games
|   Coffee Table Picture books (art and such)
|   Fan fiction, fan art, retail costumes, convention merchandise
V
Guesswork, trivia, and nonsense