Do the Na'vi cook food ?

Started by Hufwe ta'em, January 24, 2010, 07:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atan'eveng

Kaltxì

I was just wondering the same thing. Like....in the movie Neytiri throws Jake's torch in the water. It seemed like the fire was something disturbing and unnecessary (since they're all bioluminescent on Pandora), so I just started to think that the Na'vi might eat their food raw. I haven't read the ASG or the previous posts yet, so if I'm saying something that's already been answered I apologize. 
Oel ngati kameie ma [you]

AuLekye'ung

Quote from: Atan'eveng on February 16, 2010, 09:47:15 PM
Kaltxì

I was just wondering the same thing. Like....in the movie Neytiri throws Jake's torch in the water. It seemed like the fire was something disturbing and unnecessary (since they're all bioluminescent on Pandora), so I just started to think that the Na'vi might eat their food raw. I haven't read the ASG or the previous posts yet, so if I'm saying something that's already been answered I apologize. 

Didn't they have a fire going when Jake went though the crowd after Neytiri was told she had to teach him?  Or am I imagining that?
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Tsa'räni

Quote from: Lekeye'unga Au on February 16, 2010, 10:01:29 PM
Kaltxì

Didn't they have a fire going when Jake went though the crowd after Neytiri was told she had to teach him?  Or am I imagining that?

Yep, there was a fire going at Hometree.  And the ASG talks about a fire pit and cooking food, etc.  Also, you're right, the torch wasn't necessary while they were out, but they do keep a fire pit going at Hometree.

kintìomum

I know this is a bit off topic but I wondered if the fire had something to do with the nantang attacking Jake.
OK, he was making an awful lot of noise walking through the woods (heck, even I can move more silently and I'm basically used to concrete jungle if any at all) but the fire would at two more things which would help to mark him:
Light (not seen that far given the density of plants) and smell. And the smell of burning wood is noticeable for a long distance in the woods.
kintìomum : curiosity (lit.: need knowledge)

"You don't dream in cryo" they say. Good! Imagine a 6-year-nightmare!

All Things Avatar: AIM for us on twitter!

Tsa'räni

Quote from: kintìomum on February 16, 2010, 11:41:50 PM
I know this is a bit off topic but I wondered if the fire had something to do with the nantang attacking Jake.
OK, he was making an awful lot of noise walking through the woods (heck, even I can move more silently and I'm basically used to concrete jungle if any at all) but the fire would at two more things which would help to mark him:
Light (not seen that far given the density of plants) and smell. And the smell of burning wood is noticeable for a long distance in the woods.

I'm pretty sure the scene was setup to seem like the viperwolves were already closing in on Jake while he was trying to light the torch.  I think he was already being hunted before he got it burning.  No doubt those are among the reasons Neytiri doused it the first chance she got.  But Jake was already well on his way to being eaten without the torch.

kintìomum

Damn, eight screenings and I forgot that...
Back to the cinema! (no, I don't smile happily for another screening)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 16, 2010, 10:15:02 PM
Kaltxì

Yep, there was a fire going at Hometree.  And the ASG talks about a fire pit and cooking food, etc.  Also, you're right, the torch wasn't necessary while they were out, but they do keep a fire pit going at Hometree.

To add to this the ASG tells us that they see this fire as sacred. The story is that it has never gone out-of course this is hyperbole, but it is considered very bad form if the fire isn't ready when a hunter comes back with fresh meat.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Pwatem

My point was not a single hunt every once in a while.  I have stated (see D in this one or C in the previous one) that it makes sense that they would, as a society that very much focuses around hunting, be able to coordinate and gauge how many animals they need to hunt.

Please tell me what I haven't addressed.  I'm not seeing it.

But consider the size of an 'angtsìkä or a talioang, for example. If the hunters killed one of either there would either be a lot of food left over or not enough whether they like it or not.
,__, 
(0,0)
/)_)
   ""
"I am alive inside. a bird is my heart." - Sapphire

Atan'eveng

Kaltxì

I saw the movie twice and I swear I didn't notice the fire pit! jeez.... selective vision lol
So, if there were a fire going, forget about the meat sashimi   ;D
Oel ngati kameie ma [you]

AuLekye'ung

Quote from: Pwatem on February 17, 2010, 02:07:32 AM
My point was not a single hunt every once in a while.  I have stated (see D in this one or C in the previous one) that it makes sense that they would, as a society that very much focuses around hunting, be able to coordinate and gauge how many animals they need to hunt.

Please tell me what I haven't addressed.  I'm not seeing it.

But consider the size of an 'angtsìkä or a talioang, for example. If the hunters killed one of either there would either be a lot of food left over or not enough whether they like it or not.

I don't see how they could take out a 'angtsìkä; that's like attacking a hippo with a bow and arrow.  (Hippo's hides are bulletproof, you need an elephant gun to puncture it.)  In fact, the Wiki says their only predators are toruk and thanators.

Then consider they have several hundred in a tribe, so even a sturmbeast wouldn't have a significant amount left over, if any at all.

Quote from: Atan'eveng on February 17, 2010, 08:29:40 AM
Kaltxì

I saw the movie twice and I swear I didn't notice the fire pit! jeez.... selective vision lol
So, if there were a fire going, forget about the meat sashimi   ;D

It's one of those details that some people just pick up and retain in the back of their minds.
Txo *fìzìsìst*it oel ke lu, kxawm oel tutet lepamtseo lu.  Oe pxìm fpìl nìpamtseo, oel rey letrra ayunil oeyä nìpamtseo.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Minyu

Quote from: Lekeye'unga Au on February 17, 2010, 05:38:40 PM
I don't see how they could take out a 'angtsìkä; that's like attacking a hippo with a bow and arrow.  (Hippo's hides are bulletproof, you need an elephant gun to puncture it.)  In fact, the Wiki says their only predators are toruk and thanators.

It's possible they could take out a 'angtsìkä, like ancient people here used to hunt mammoth, for food, fat, bone and hide, etc.  But I expect it probably wouldn't happen very often.   :)  It'd probably be a pretty epic event!

AuLekye'ung

I don't know..  They, like mammoths, travel in herds, but I maintain that the Na'vi have no weapons that can pierce their hides - even the RDA's weapons couldn't hurt them.

Also, the big ones are at least twice the size of mammoths.

- Älpert Aynstayn

kintìomum

Seeing that a Na'vi compared to 'angtsìk is about the same size as (early) humans to a mammoth and the Na'vi are in average 4 feet taller than humans... yeah, the size would match.
It wouldn't be easy and would need some serious preparations but if they succeeded it would be a great achievement for the hunting party.
Although I guess it would need a larger part of the tribe than just a single hunting party of 4-5 (don't think they're much bigger, bigger groups tend to be louder). And the only way I see the Na'vi could bring one down is exactly that: separate one from the herd and scare it over a cliff...

Tsa'räni

The Na'vi also possess about four times the strength of humans.  Hunting pack tactics like separating a straggler, tiring it out, and so on would allow them to do it.  So I think they could coordinate a hunt for such a creature if they wanted, but I don't think we have anything saying they do?

kintìomum

The only thing hinting that they hunt anything bigger than a hexapede is a picture in the ASG where some Na'vi are processing a talioang (which were never seen in the movie although there's a great picture of some crossing a river in the AoA).

magne

Quote from: kintìomum on February 17, 2010, 11:36:05 PM
Seeing that a Na'vi compared to 'angtsìk is about the same size as (early) humans to a mammoth and the Na'vi are in average 4 feet taller than humans... yeah, the size would match.
It wouldn't be easy and would need some serious preparations but if they succeeded it would be a great achievement for the hunting party.
Although I guess it would need a larger part of the tribe than just a single hunting party of 4-5 (don't think they're much bigger, bigger groups tend to be louder). And the only way I see the Na'vi could bring one down is exactly that: separate one from the herd and scare it over a cliff...
Poisoned arrows, pygmies hunt elephants with them using small bows, now just follow until it falls. Also if you have open ground you could use bows from an ikran eliminating any danger for the hit team. Non open ground, wait in a large tree. Only reason to poison two meter long arrows is if you hunt large prey.
This way you don't have to separate it from the pack as it fall back itself.
Yes it would give you some logistical problems but with an ikran rider it would be fast to summon help to carry the meet back.

Standard native American way to hunt buffalo was the horse archer method, follow the back part of the pack from a pretty safe distance and hit them with arrows, kill the one who got hurt and fell back. Yes before they had horses they had to separate and drive of cliffs.

Upside of hunting large preys is that you get lots of meat for the work so any advanced hunter gatherers preferred it, downside is that the large prey might be rare or seasonal, it would also be boring eating the same every day. 

AuLekye'ung

I've made liberal use of the rather short entry here to make some points:

So, the Na'vi are, on average, a little under twice the height of a human, and the angtsìk are, on average, a little under twice the size of an elephant, and about twice the height of the Na'vi.

They roam in packs of 10-20, and, unlike mammoth or elephant herds, the bull angtsìk(s) remain with the herd, in other words, the really big and violent ones would be present.

With the angtsìk the forest, their extreme banding together under threat capabilities, and the higher territorialness make it more difficult to catch a straggler - they also turn trees into matchsticks when they are running.

They are MUCH more armored than a mammoth or elephant, and their six legs give a higher degree of maneuverability.

Their only predators are the things even the Na'vi are terrified of - palulukan and toruk.

My conclusion here: they are simply too dangerous to warrant the risk of hunting them.  Why risk a hunter getting killed when they have much easier things to hunt?  And it would take more than one ikran to lift those things up.  20 ft of height and over 30 ft long allows for a lot of mass.  This also greatly increases the amount of poison needed to kill or incapacitate these things; if it takes 4 minutes to stop a human heart, imagine how much more poison would be needed to affect them.

And the poison on their arrows would assist with any hunting, but the sheer size of the angtsìk make it impractical.  You would need something very strong to take out something that big before you are palulukan pancakes.

I am, however, sure the angtsìk would be delicious.

- Älpert Aynstayn

Txantslusam Skxawng

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 16, 2010, 11:47:14 PM
Quote from: kintìomum on February 16, 2010, 11:41:50 PM
I think he was already being hunted before he got it burning.
Your right about that, because Neytiri was hunting him but then got sign from Eywa, but when Jake makes his spear, he does that in a few seconds. Sorry that was kinda off-topic , so ill put some stuff in it that is about cooking ( Na'vi ) food, i agree that they hunt the easy animals to get food, maybe also Viperwolfs , not easy but Neytiri killed some of them and scared them away , she kinda makes it look it easy. I think they dont hunt for food at night , their is some stuff that did belong in this topic , maybe not usefull....
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Tsa'räni

Viperwolves are unlikely hunting targets, as the Na'vi revere them for their intelligence, pack mentality, and familial bond (according to the ASG).

AuLekye'ung

Quote from: Tsa'räni on February 19, 2010, 05:54:23 PM
Viperwolves are unlikely hunting targets, as the Na'vi revere them for their intelligence, pack mentality, and familial bond (according to the ASG).

They also don't look particularly tasty or nourishing.

- Älpert Aynstayn