Dominance displays

Started by Lolet, July 15, 2010, 11:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lolet

Do the Na'vi have any dominance displays, which might be useful in scaring away other Pandoran animals? Other than hissing, like, I don't know, poofy hair? (like dogs hair)  :D

Puvomun

Quote from: Lolet Maticay Tsam'Tirea Omatikaya on July 15, 2010, 11:26:23 PM
Do the Na'vi have any dominance displays, which might be useful in scaring away other Pandoran animals? Other than hissing, like, I don't know, poofy hair? (like dogs hair)  :D
Considering the length of their braids, poofy hair would be amazing to see!
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

kewnya txamew'itan

Neytiri bares her teeth and hisses at Tsu'tey when she's defending Jake's body so I imagine that would qualify.
Internet Acronyms Nìna'vi

hamletä tìralpuseng lena'vi sngolä'eiyi. tìkangkem si awngahu ro
http://bit.ly/53GnAB
The translation of Hamlet into Na'vi has started! Join with us at http://bit.ly/53GnAB

txo nga new oehu pivlltxe nìna'vi, nga oer 'eylan si mì fayspuk (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)
If you want to speak na'vi to me, friend me on facebook (http://bit.ly/bp9fwf)

numena'viyä hapxì amezamkivohinve
learnnavi's

Lolet

Yeah, they hiss a lot, and I was wondering if they flexed their muscles at each other (only the males haha) like the boys at my school.  :D

Ekirä

Neytiri does go into a sort of 'stance' over Jake's body--it's not really dominant but could be interpreted as a dare/challenge. She has the physical advantage by going into her 'stance', ready to jump someone (hint hint Tsu'tey) if they try to attack Jake or remove her from over his body.

She also goes into this stance when Jake is capturing his ikran, she's at the edge of the cliff ready to (perhaps) jump into the fray if the ikran is about to kill Jake. Why else would she have her knife out and ready? This could be a discussion for another time or place.....   :)

keftxo

Quote from: Ekirä on July 18, 2010, 02:23:17 PM
Neytiri does go into a sort of 'stance' over Jake's body--it's not really dominant but could be interpreted as a dare/challenge. She has the physical advantage by going into her 'stance', ready to jump someone (hint hint Tsu'tey) if they try to attack Jake or remove her from over his body.

She also goes into this stance when Jake is capturing his ikran, she's at the edge of the cliff ready to (perhaps) jump into the fray if the ikran is about to kill Jake. Why else would she have her knife out and ready? This could be a discussion for another time or place.....   :)

No, I think it is very much related. The stance as well as the "head weaving" she does is not a normal human action, and therefore, must have been done deliberately.

I took it rather clearly as a Na'vi dominance display.  :-*
"And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts HAVE wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only DO not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul!"
- Emily Bronte

Lolet

Do they fight to settle quarrels? No like Jake and Tsu'tey, that was totally spur of the moment. Like the rumble in that one movie with the singing gangsters. I forget what it was called.  ::)

'Evan

In the released and then redacted 2007 script of the movie, there is actually a formal challenge and fight between Tsu'tey and Jake instead of the rather informal affair that is present in the final movie. This is, presumably, where we got the word fpeio. The script has been removed from most of the places it was available, so I can't find the exact lines.
Rä'ä tung futa fol ngeyä 'itìt letsyal tivakuk.

Muzer

Yeah, that's correct.

Use the link on Wikipedia at the bottom.
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

Lolet

That makes sense. Do the girls fight too?

Ku'rända

Quote from: Puvomun on July 17, 2010, 12:50:26 PM
Quote from: Lolet Maticay Tsam'Tirea Omatikaya on July 15, 2010, 11:26:23 PM
Considering the length of their braids, poofy hair would be amazing to see!

Maybe like that little dinosaur from Jurassic Park that kills Newman? :B

Give us a chance, MORON!

keftxo

Quote from: Lolet Maticay Tsam'Tirea Omatikaya on July 31, 2010, 08:44:31 PM
That makes sense. Do the girls fight too?

I wouldn't see why not, the omaticaya tribe is pretty egalitarian. (At least that the sense I got from the field guide.) I don't know if it's specifically come up though.
"And I pray one prayer--I repeat it till my tongue stiffens--Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living; you said I killed you--haunt me, then! The murdered DO haunt their murderers, I believe. I know that ghosts HAVE wandered on earth. Be with me always--take any form--drive me mad! only DO not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I CANNOT live without my life! I CANNOT live without my soul!"
- Emily Bronte

Lolet

All I can think of is two girls duking it out surrounded by guys yelling, "Yeah! Catfight!". But I'm sure it's much more serious.  ;)

Kxamtxon Tsamsiyu

Quote from: Lolet Maticay Tsam'Tirea Omatikaya on August 16, 2010, 08:44:56 PM
All I can think of is two girls duking it out surrounded by guys yelling, "Yeah! Catfight!". But I'm sure it's much more serious.  ;)
xD hrh

"First it was just orders, then everything changed.." ~Jake Sully
Neytiri & Jake

Meynari Ke'nawm

I know that Neytiri did this thing with her tail when she growled. She kind of waved it and twitched it like a tiger.
GENERATION 19: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
PADD: Watch out...
Officially the youngest member... so far...