Eywa as a new "real" god

Started by Alwin, January 19, 2010, 02:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I fully believe in freedom of religion, but things aren't as simple as you say. The media is already lumping those who wish to learn the language with those who have become depressed after watching the film and have thoughts of suicide. It doesn't matter how much we deny it, if someone begins to worship Eywa, we will be lumped together with them.

I want us to avoid this as it will scare away people who want to learn this beautiful religion.

I know I couldn't stop anyone if they truly did begin to worship her, but I can at least put my opinion in on the matter. And that opinion will always be that if the movie inspired you to take a new religious path you should do research into the religions we have here on Earth that worship Gaia, The Goddess, ect. These are the religions Cameron modeled Eywa after. So in turn, worshiping Eywa is just a very roundabout way of worshiping these much older religions.

Thank you for the translation! And thank you Dusty for your kind words.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

gnátxere

i honestly don't even believe organised religion is anything more than a scam personally though one that people involved have every right to be a part of if they want to, whatever you believe, you should believe it wether someone else does or not, and if you don't believe something they do don't tell them not to, nor should you believe it just because they do. and if your not sure what you believe, scrounging around through what everyone else believes you're probably goona find a billion things you half agree with and absolutely nothing you completely agree with. i think the smartest thing to do would be to drop the thread because sooner or later it'll cause bad reactions from somebody. people are stupid and someone will misinterpret anything anyone says in here sooner or later.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: gnátxere on January 20, 2010, 11:04:01 PM
if i got the translation right it reads

no offense! (nothing or not)! i-(erg) pagan. i-(erg) strong pagan, long, longer pagan. i-(erg) (acc?) ear much. i-(erg) see[physical sense] you[plural, possably all]. i-(erg) understand you[plural]. now i-(erg) speak:

you-(erg) (acc?) ear (to or towards) ting eywalikíte'e in this matter. wise mind give much truth. valid truth. he/she(non specific) speak (can't find ngarut or sea'). ngarut (same unknown word) see[spiritual sense].

if translated correctly this is a litteral translation word for word.

and a note of my own, very well spoken dustywhite. though i probably would've modified ear into hear, though i don't know how off the top of my head

bah! That's what I get for messing around with grammar. I thought I typed listen. "ear." LOL

You see the problem is her name is Tìng, and listen is tìng mikyun (ear is just mikyun), so I put her name in italics to offset when I was using her name versus the word tìng. It was suposed to vehemently state that there is no offense (nothing--period), and that this is getting a little out of hand (as religion often does) and that Tìng has continually spoken very wisely "in this matter." The letters were sized up to 12 point (hmmm... that looks larger than 12 point to me) to emphasize that this was a plea to lower the vehemence level, and see that a new Avatar religion is a bit "over the top," and that Tìng has said what needed to be said.

I should stick to vocabulary posts.  :P
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Don't give up Dusty! I thought you did a great job, the only way to get grammar right is to practice it (Some advice I should probably take myself >.>)

gnátxere, choose your words carefully. This thread is not about how we view other people's faith and we don't want to put anyone down. Saying all religion is a sham is something many may find offensive, which is not something we want to do.

I hope not to offend anyone with the posts I have made. I understand the importance of the freedom of religion and how thrilling it may be to have found something that makes sense to you. I will repeat myself though and that is that Cameron modeled the idea of Eywa after gods we already have here on Earth. If the religion of Eywa feels right to you, I have little doubt that these religions will as well. And with them you have the added bonus of joining a community of people with similar beliefs, which my understanding of religion tells me is one of the main points of it.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

gnátxere

ah, i see where i went wrong then, i ignored alot of stuff i though was just stressing what you wanted to be heard since i can't get by brain to remember anything to do with grammer, or half the words even, did the whole thing with the navi-english dictionary on next tab.

and i appologise if i offended anyone, i'm not saying organised religion IS a sham, i'm just stating how i view things, which as always is quite possibly flawed, we are after all just human, as much as i wish i was i'm not perfect either and could be wrong, my point is just that you should be free to believe what you believe, and that includes people who are part of organised religious groups.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Good gnátxere.

The only way to explore the Na'vi culture properly is if we feel that we are free to express our opinions to the fullest. That being said it still needs to be a safe environment where people may discuss controversial issues, but never attack anyone for their views. We are all tsmuktu here.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

gnátxere

tsololam (i understand). one thing to know about me is that i'm too laid back to care what others think or do as long as it doesn't effect me, obviously wether people like me effects wether or not they'll talk to me so i try and let people like me, but things like someone else's religion couldn't effect me even if i wanted it to effect me, so i just don't care enough to judge people, not that i think it'd be alright to judge them anyways. so while at times it might sound like i'm judging people, it's just me explaining my beliefs or whatever else, while as always i respect their choices and never judge them, wether they think the same as me or not.

Lora Taw

dustywhite is completely correct about bringing this discussion down a notch. everyone has their own opinion on religion and it really does get out of hand when someone brings it up. i know we are still on topic but i almost want to suggest maybe locking this topic because i cant see it going anywhere productive from here anymore. most things that can be said have been said. maybe start a new thread if somone really wants to continue.

and ting has indeed been very level headed from the beginning of her posting in this thread and i strongly support her in her and her all she has said on this whole situation

Étienne

Why does Uranus always get jacked.

Sol Lupusnight

Yes i think this has gotten a little out of hand like some of you said dont make this a religion on it's own but you can use some of the material and beliefs in your own personal path and go on with life doing that, that's how im going to do it. in my other post i wasn't trying to creat a new religion just share my idea of creating my own personal path using the language a little bit and some of the Na'vi beliefs.

Oel Hawnu Eywati

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Agreed with Sol. If you truly must have Na'vi be part of your personal path, make sure it's only personal and only a small part of your bigger search.

Agreed that this thread should probably be locked. All that needs to be said has been said and if is left on it's own it could escalate into a bigger problem. I'll go hunt down a mod.

Who here thinks that the Custom and Culture thread needs a mod? I'm getting a little bit tired of having to hunt one down whenever I find a culture thread outside of this board >.>
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Mr.X

Worshipping Eywa seems like a really strange idea to me. I mean, most of religions are founded on the belief that their god, or gods, are a real beings and affect peoples' lives. These religions are usually founded by some kind of prophet, who is belived to be enlightened by these god/gods, and Eywa is clearly a fictional being. I think that basing religion on Avatar would be like worshipping Sherlock Holmes.
Actually, I think that Cameron based Na'vi's religion on quite a lot of different earth religions, as pantheism is a common element found amongst them, but from what I know the religion that resembles Na'vi beliefs the most, and probably was Cameron's main inspiration is the movment called World Pantheism (http://www.pantheism.net - actually, they even mention Avatar on their frontpage).

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Hmm yes, thank you! This does seem to have a lot of the elements people here are looking for!

Before we close this thread why don't a few others find sites that teach people about other Earth Worshiping religions to help get their research going?
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Alwin

You all are answer this post thinking I had post it trying to create a new religion. For the milionth time: I'm not doing this! Holy God! May I say it in another way to make you understand it?

This post is only a "How if...". I was just thinking on how the Eywarism would be usefull to us. (I hope I explained this time.)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

We aree not discussing you specifically. You made a post titled "Eywa as a new real god" which to us makes it sound very clear what you intend to make of it. Of course you then made it clear that isn't what YOU were planning to do. From there we continued the converstation as to why no one should try to create a new religion from it as I know it has crossed the minds of a few people on this forum and no doubt others. Please do not take offence so easily and understand that very little of this forum was about you specifically but rather addressing the bigger issue. The last thing we want is for some random person to read what you said and then take it to the next level.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Swok Txon

Tìng has a monumental point there Alwin

Next time you should be a tincey bit more careful with naming topics, a little less rash

but at least you didn't mean to offence anybody and were patient in explaining your point

shame on the people who criticized you!

at least you got your idea out in the open!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

We did not critisize him on his opinion. That was my point. We were merely stating our own when we disagreed with him. I want everyone to feel safe when it comes to stating their mind on this forum, but if you put your opinion out there you must expect it to be disagreed with. That's how discusions our formed.

Once again, we were not attack you and understand that you did not want to "create a religion" but that is where the conversation went.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Swok Txon

I didn't mean you Tìng but some people did.

Lora Taw

i dont think alwin meant to be as indescript as she was. as you might be able to tell english is not her native language. obviously she didnt expect it to go this far

Swok Txon

Well, fair enough but lets hope your assumption is right

*Waits for a mod to close this forum*

if that's what is meant to happen