How to live like the Na'vi?

Started by bilimkurguhaber, September 22, 2012, 11:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bilimkurguhaber

I found out a good text that explains how a person may live like the Na'vi:

http://www.ehow.com/how_5889069_live-like-na_vi-_avatar_.html

1) In the movie, the Na'vi have a deep spiritual connection to the physical world around them. To them, every plant and tree has a life and resonance all its own. To replicate that feeling for yourself, start with something as small and simple as adopting a tree. Or for the more green thumbed among you, grow your own garden and savor the feel and smells of the earth in your hands.

2) Just as they savored their plant life, the Na'vi also cherished their fellow man. So in this instance, be kind to all those around you. While we may all look and act differently, just as Cpl. Jake Scully learned, we are all spiritually connected with each other.

3) Learn a new language. As part of his immersion into the Na'vi society, Cpl. Scully has to learn their language. As part of this process he also learned more about their culture and traditions. To that end, "ftxey nume lisi. Si aynga rrtok." (That's Nav'i-an for "learn a new language, it will make you smile.")

4) Help to save our planet. In the movie, a major corporation is interested in mining a rare mineral from Pandora that is key to solving the Earth's energy crisis. Here on Earth 2010, we have the power to curtail the energy crisis right in our own backyards. Things as small and easy as recycling, driving hybrid cars, and using energy saving light bulbs are just some examples of how to do our part to help make our corner of the Earth more Pandora-like.

5) Be kind to animals. Anyone who has seen "Avatar" knows that Pandora is inhabited by some pretty fierce creatures. But as Cpl. Scully soon comes to learn, these animals aren't all that fierce...they just need a little understanding. So here on Planet Earth, adopt don't buy a pet, donate to animal causes and remember that animals have souls and feelings like just us.

Vawmataw

You're right. It's just a way to think better.

Tsun livu ayoengaru Na'viyä atìrey ayfya'o.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

bilimkurguhaber

The idea of adopting a tree is great. There is a park near my apartment and tomorrow morning I will adopt a tree there. :-) Moreover, I live with two cats (I prefer not to use the phrase "I have two cats") and I really love animals. They are our brothers and sisters in this planet.

Vawmataw

Quote from: bilimkurguhaber on September 22, 2012, 12:11:08 PM
The idea of adopting a tree is great. There is a park near my apartment and tomorrow morning I will adopt a tree there. :-)
I'm not sure if the city will accept (but maybe there's a contract or something for adopt a tree). Just buy a (small) tree, plant it where it's allowed and take care of the tree. But now we are in fall (autumn).

*Note: It's Jake Sully, not Jake Scully.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

bilimkurguhaber

I did not think of something official for adopting. But maybe I can plant a new one in my housemate cats' room. The entire room belongs to them and I think they will like an actual tree in their room.

Toruk Makto

I love this thread! Thanks for the suggestions!

Markì

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Blue Elf

Quote from: Na'vi a Kepekmì on September 22, 2012, 01:08:54 PM
Quote from: bilimkurguhaber on September 22, 2012, 12:11:08 PM
The idea of adopting a tree is great. There is a park near my apartment and tomorrow morning I will adopt a tree there. :-)
I'm not sure if the city will accept (but maybe there's a contract or something for adopt a tree). Just buy a (small) tree, plant it where it's allowed and take care of the tree. But now we are in fall (autumn).

*Note: It's Jake Sully, not Jake Scully.
It's not the only mistake in that paragraph:
Quote"ftxey nume lisi. Si aynga rrtok." (That's Nav'i-an for "learn a new language, it will make you smile.")
Nume lì'fyati amip, tsakemìl ngat lrrtok seyki

Back to topic: adopting the tree is very inspiring idea. But I think about planting tree. It's autumn, trees give their seed, so why to not try put it into soil, leave it to grow and when it is strong enough, put it into forest?
It reminds me one nice small book about man, who all the life planted seeds of trees and many forests grew up this way. My sister has this book, I'll try to find it to say you its name...
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Blue Elf

I found that book: The man who planted trees. Although it is fantasy, it is worth of reading (it does not take more than a few minutes)
more info at wikipedia
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Yawne Zize’ite

IIRC, the best times to plant a tree in a temperate climate are spring and fall, just before trees bud or just after they go dormant. My area lost a lot of trees to storms in 2011, and replacements weren't planted until this April. (Then we had a drought that killed off a bunch of the young trees - sometimes you can't win for losing.) At my latitude it's far too early to plant, but it might be time to think about planting in Canada.

Kekerusey

Although the message being promoted is not specifically a bad one (in many ways quite good) this kind of thing simply annoys me as, to me, it's quite clear whoever wrote that piece is simply warping their view of "Avatar" (Pandora, the Na'vi and Eywa) to suit the message they wish to promote.

"Avatar" is one seriously cool film and Na'vi is great fun to learn but, whilst there are certainly lessons to be learned from it (mainly morality based messages Cameron wanted to get across to his audience), I think those who wish to "Live like a Na'vi" are doing much the same as the linked author. Earth is not Pandora, whilst we may well adopt a more harmonious relationship with nature Earth will never be Pandora and those who have the idea that nature is all cute and cuddly are deluding themselves. Nature may well be beautiful (I certainly think so) but "she" is violent, cruel and doesn't give a damn about us ... to paraphrase Neil deGrasse Tyson (when talking about those who subscribe to the Gaia "theories" and similar), "Nature is a b*tch!"

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Puvomun

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 25, 2012, 03:38:04 AM
Earth will never be Pandora and those who have the idea that nature is all cute and cuddly are deluding themselves. Nature may well be beautiful (I certainly think so) but "she" is violent, cruel and doesn't give a damn about us ...
Pandora isn't cuddly either. I just say palulukan and nantang, and then there are probably still a few of those, and the necessary slew of lethal plants. Let's also not forget Toruk.
We have to live in harmony with what we have and avoid/stay clear of that what can kill us. Life works both ways.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Puvomun on September 25, 2012, 05:30:23 AMPandora isn't cuddly either. I just say palulukan and nantang, and then there are probably still a few of those, and the necessary slew of lethal plants. Let's also not forget Toruk.

I wasn't so much commenting on Pandoran life, more on the OP's link to the author's message ... critical observance of the universe in which we live (at least our tiny and relatively unimportant part of it) implies "harmony" of a far more lethal sort than the word usually implies i.e. "harmony" means balance forced by the lethal struggle for resources.

Quote from: Puvomun on September 25, 2012, 05:30:23 AMWe have to live in harmony with what we have and avoid/stay clear of that what can kill us. Life works both ways.

If we can do that whilst preserving the rest of the Earth all well and good but ultimately it appears that the prime biological imperative is survival ... everything else is negotiable  :P

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Tsmuktengan

Thank you for posting all this. I love this thread.

I am not necessarily up for adopting a tree.... I don't have a reason for, but I am pretty fond of the spiritual and harmony aspect, to have a critical observance of the universe in which we live and not just the place where we spend most of our time.

allrock123

Since Avatar is a mirror story , when one speaks on living like A Na'Vi they are also reflecting on our own native peoples mytholigy from our own primal inner core understanding one of the reasons why Avatar has that exotic dream like, yet familer feel is that it reflects back on our very deep part of our inner core understanding and inner memorys Or what runs under the symbolic core example known of as "The Bond".(Tsahaylu makes the consept visable) what makes Avatar "so unique" is the part of our primal core inner understanding it points to. A part of our primal inner understanding that knows the truth but for the most part has been broken in mainstream global culture as many of our systems deeply damage this connetion to our core humanity, through experence with Avatar we can chose to relearn how to "see" and experence a connection to this part of us "for some our understanding realy wants this back" it realy does let a person see the world through another pair of eyes and with deep core respect and empathy for others, its also very likely this is behind some peoples deap core depresion issues labeled Avatar Depression (Our world now feels "wrong") , as we reflect "back" on our own collective issues seen from our primal inner accountability and deep heartfelt understanding (Much like how a shaman "feels and sees our world) its a very emotive experence from our core understanding and a part of Avatar that not everyone can relate too, take a deep look at the core roots "Behind" the Na'Vi Mythology and you will "see" that Cameron took most of who the na"vi mytholigy from Earths native peoples , then "He painted them blue" Its funny our people will reflect and deeply realate to what the Na'Vi have to say , "Yet" ignore our own native peoples. there is an underlying example in this song
Denean - Eagle Fly ... But Don't Fly, Away

Please rember The Na"vi (The people) take there roots from many native peoples as well as a number of earths religions so that we will "relate to then emotivly" even ther clan name "Omaticaya" (Blue Flute Clan) is a cultural refrence "Olmec-Maya" both of these native peoples are Dream cultures and avatar has deep roots in our dream understanding as well, I know other connections like that of the Jaguar, and will share them if there is intrest in this topic

Irayo  

Tupìawo'o

I
Although the message being promoted is not specifically a bad one (in many ways quite good) this kind of thing simply annoys me as, to me, it's quite clear whoever wrote that piece is simply warping their view of "Avatar" (Pandora, the Na'vi and Eywa) to suit the message they wish to promote.

"Avatar" is one seriously cool film and Na'vi is great fun to learn but, whilst there are certainly lessons to be learned from it (mainly morality based messages Cameron wanted to get across to his audience), I think those who wish to "Live like a Na'vi" are doing much the same as the linked author. Earth is not Pandora, whilst we may well adopt a more harmonious relationship with nature Earth will never be Pandora and those who have the idea that nature is all cute and cuddly are deluding themselves. Nature may well be beautiful (I certainly think so) but "she" is violent, cruel and doesn't give a damn about us ... to paraphrase Neil deGrasse Tyson (when talking about those who subscribe to the Gaia "theories" and similar), "Nature is a b*tch!"

Keke
I completely agree with you.
But I think aswell that u can "kinda" live like them.
U know. My ideas will have nothing to do with pandora 'cause it is not real.
But I think they are good. So here is number 1 :)

1. U have a balkony or a garden? Than decorate it nicely spend a lot of time there. Find out more about them plants and stuff :)

2. Go to a forest or something and have a nice picknick with friends. no plastic and stuff :) so it is all organix for example.

These are must SOME of the ideas I have.

Niri Te

Quote from: Tupìawo'o on May 23, 2013, 01:26:45 PM
I

Keke
I completely agree with you.
But I think aswell that u can "kinda" live like them.
U know. My ideas will have nothing to do with pandora 'cause it is not real.
But I think they are good. So here is number 1 :)

1. U have a balkony or a garden? Than decorate it nicely spend a lot of time there. Find out more about them plants and stuff :)

2. Go to a forest or something and have a nice picknick with friends. no plastic and stuff :) so it is all organix for example.

These are must SOME of the ideas I have.

I think that you are going too far the other way. Actually Pandora is NOT Earth, because Pandora does not Exist. Earth IS a LOT like the image of Pandora as was portrayed in the film, WITHOUT having a highly acidic atmosphere with really big flying lizards. If you think not, than you have not lived in some of the places that I have.
The inter personal relationships within the clans of the movie are VERY similar to the way things are on the NON-ASSIMILATED South Pacific islands.
Except for everything glowing at night, there are many places in the tropics where you would think you were on the set of the movie by looking around.
The biggest difference between the movie, and real life here on Earth, is that HERE, many of the people of Earth are going all out to KILL the Planet.
By the way, even at her most savage, "Nature" is very beautiful. the only people that seem to have a problem with it's "savagery" are those who feel that since we are at the top of the food chain, we should not have to be part of "The Wheel" when that IS the balance of existence.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

Tupìawo'o

you talk to me like i'm a total fool. "this is not earth".
i know it is not.  but if some people like it the way pandora looks like than I think my ideas are quite good. Just so they have the little "pandora" touch in there garden or whatever.

Toruk Makto

Easy folks, let's keep it friendly.  :)

Lì'fyari leNa'vi 'Rrtamì, vay set 'almong a fra'u zera'u ta ngrrpongu
Na'vi Dictionary: http://files.learnnavi.org/dicts/NaviDictionary.pdf

Tupìawo'o