Is there a Na'Vi civilization?

Started by Elektrolurch, January 18, 2010, 08:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elektrolurch

You're right. Sorry, that i just forgot to mention the good things about our culture, but: When you say "Human Culture", do you mean the English, American, European, whatever ... culture? Or do you include all the people world wide?

I am happy, that everyone can afford almost everything. Everyone gets the same chances, nobody has to pay for care in hospitals, or for education (in Austria). But if you consider all the other states or continents....

Above all, i hate this inequality: In the Na'Vi tribes are male and female warriors and hunter. Everyone gets the same  chances to become anything. (as far as I could see it in the movie)
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well when I'm talking about my culture I'm talking about American, when I'm talking about developed civilizations I'm talking about the big ones; America, Europe, Japan, ect.

I do love that the Na'vi have equal opportunity and so far no division of labor. Everyone starts on equal ground. In America you have to fight a bit more, but you can still get it. I'm a strong believer that only you can hold yourself back by allowing obstacles to stay there. My mom is the only one of her family (one of ten) to go to college and she payed for it herself while raising two children as a single mother. In a culture like the Na'vi something like that wouldn't happen as I imagine the children are raised just as much by the Clan as individual parents, but it's still better than other cultures where we would have been taken away from her.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

In Austria, nearly everyone has the same chances. The state pays nearly all things like education, hospitals, libarys, ... The only problem is the youth. Approximately 50% of all the people between 10 and 20 years are fans of "HC Strache", a politician, in my eyes a bit like Hitler. He always exalts violence and developes an intense hate to foreigners ... his forerunner e.g. gave every 18 year old 1000€ for free. Thats why this party is very famous in some parts of Austria. I am nearly 16 and visit an advanced school ... and even here you can find Strache-fans. If you want to become somebody, you don't have to fight. You have to be mainstream, and simply "in". That's my problem ;)

Sorry, I forgot the topic.

I think in India or Bangladesh, you have to be the best of the best to become doctor, or teacher. And in some central african regions you can never get the chance to practice such a profession.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well India and Africa all have civilizations. Inida's has been around for a very long time while a number of the African ones are a bit newer, so I'm a bit confused on  your point.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

I just wanted to compare the cultures. India has a big problem with hindus and muslims since Gandhi. When i think about it, it's often the fault of the european civilization. We/They always colonized other cultures. The spanish conquistadors destructed the Inca's and Maya's, and England the indian one. And so on ...

I also noticed, that every "terroristic" organisation in history has been catholic, except the communistic dictatorships, and the nazi-regime. The spain prayed to god to redeem them from the evil south american inhabitants.

Sorry, I am a bit tired ;) please don't take everything I said to seriously

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Quote from: uniltìyìranyu on January 18, 2010, 01:48:21 PM
I just wanted to compare the cultures. India has a big problem with hindus and muslims since Gandhi. When i think about it, it's often the fault of the european civilization. We/They always colonized other cultures. The spanish conquistadors destructed the Inca's and Maya's, and England the indian one. And so on ...

I also noticed, that every "terroristic" organisation in history has been catholic, except the communistic dictatorships, and the nazi-regime. The spain prayed to god to redeem them from the evil south american inhabitants.

Sorry, I am a bit tired ;) please don't take everything I said to seriously

Seriously the only "terroristic" organization you can think of are catholic ones?
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Well we're on the dangerous path of generalization. Europeans certainly have done some evils through out the world, but they are the cause of all of it. India had problems long before England imperialism. The Maya's conducted war long before the Spaniards came. Catholics certainly aren't the only terrorists out there.

Every culture can do "bad" things, though they themselves may not consider them "bad." Good and evil are cultural terms and differ from culture to culture. Though there are universal themes, murder is always consider bad, but what is considered murder may change.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

As I already said: I'm talking to a genius ;D

By the way: are we teaching each other?

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

Remember try staying on topic this sounds like it might be going towards abortion.  :(

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Oops, no I wasn't trying to get onto the abortion topic! I promise! I was more talking about what cultures consider as justified homicide. Like there are some that see the stealing of property as reason for justification, while I'd see that as murder.

Haha, once again, not a genius, merely an anthropology student. Discussing culture is what I do. The Na'vi make me so excited because we have few cultures on Earth that haven't been explored yet. The Na'vi are new and exciting, they're an anthropologist's dream.

I'd like to think that we're all teaching each other, that's what makes this forum so great.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

Right.

I think the "conversation" in here was very interesting,.. I learned a lot ;D

Well ..... what is a terrorist? How would you define the word "terrorist"? For the ones a terrorist, for the others a fighter for freedom?
If you think about some groups in arabian countries: Maybe they just want vengeance for the european crusades invading their countries and murdering their families 1000 years ago?

By the way, don't forget, that english is a foreign language to me ;D

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

A terrorist is defined as someone who spreads terror in order to push an issue of some sort.

Elektrolurch

Okey. I think, this is a point of view. In Parker's eyes, Quartich doesn't seem to be a terrorist....

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Once again, it's a cultural thing. We see them as terrorist, they see themselves as freedom fighters. Of course there are always extremists who few agree with. With these definitions in mind there have been plenty of terrorist groups through out the world.

The movie makes a parallel of this, Quaritch uses the idea of a terrorist to rally his troops against the Na'vi. "Fight terror with terror." They believe they have the right to be there and that the Na'vi will attack them with out reason, though we know that they had plenty.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

That's true, sorry, i completely forgot about that ;)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Don't apologize, I've just seen the movie maybe one to many times. Heh

The movie provides an interesting look on how terrorism works between cultures and how they view each other as the same thin in the end.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on January 18, 2010, 02:23:13 PM
Once again, it's a cultural thing. We see them as terrorist, they see themselves as freedom fighters. Of course there are always extremists who few agree with. With these definitions in mind there have been plenty of terrorist groups through out the world.

The movie makes a parallel of this, Quaritch uses the idea of a terrorist to rally his troops against the Na'vi. "Fight terror with terror." They believe they have the right to be there and that the Na'vi will attack them with out reason, though we know that they had plenty.

This is quite ngay. It would depend on the culture of the people.
The worst terrorist out there, I think, would be someone or a group of people who mercenaries who just want war for the fun of it. That might just because of the culture.

Elektrolurch

How many times have you already seen it? And how many more times are you going to do so?

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I've seen it five times and probably plenty more.

But back on semi-topic  :P

The movie provides an interesting look at what people actually view as "people." Parker sees them as "fly-bitten savages who live in a tree" which in his eyes makes them not people.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Parker also said, they were 'blue monkeys that love to play in mud' or something along those lines in the control.

These views gives us a view on people in the past, like when the Native Americas were pushed out of their lands here in the US. Another is when the Spanish first showed in Mexico and meet the Aztec and Maians.