Is there a Na'Vi civilization?

Started by Elektrolurch, January 18, 2010, 08:42:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Yeah, I know. I know that there are people that are not violent at all. The part 'We are a volatile civilization' was from something that I read somewhere. I'm part of that one as well, Tìng. I will be careful what I say in the future.

What would you do if a astronomer announces in the very near future of possible Earth like planet or moon?

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I would be excited as humanly possible. A whole new world to explore sounds like the best adventure ever. Still I would be wary with what those in power would do with it..
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

I agree. I would love to go to a new planet or moon and explore. If I had the money and it was announced, then I would try to find some way to get myself there. They would probably view it as a way to make money or something.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

They probably would try to find money making opportunities, so the would naturally need scientists. If there were intelligent life forms they would also need anthropologists, so maybe that's where I would come in!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

Very right. ;D

The only thing I'm still interested in is, if the Na'Vi would found a civilization one day?
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

It's very possible. Now that humans have come into play it's impossible to say what would have happened if they were left on their own.

It would have to take a big change in thought though. The big requirement for civilization is the domestication of plants and animals. You simply can't sustain a population big enough for civilization on a hunter and gatherer diet, it would wipe everything out.

I don't think the Na'vi would like the idea of domestication. It would be taking the balance of life outside of Eywa's hands and putting it in their control. They probably see it as breaking the "network of energy" the the world lives on.

So the Na'vi we know would never domesticate plant life, but who knows? In a thousand years there is the possibility that they would starting seeing differently. It's iffy though, something would have to change to make the need for domestication more prominent. Perhaps a long time drought, a natural climate change, or something that causes a food shortage.

The Na'vi are similar to the Pacific Northwest Native American tribes in the sense that they have a permanent form of residence despite being a hunter and gathering society. The vast majority of hunter and gatherers have to be nomadic because if they stay in one place to long they'll deplete it of it's natural resources. But in the few areas in the world lush enough to provide year round food we see the development of towns without the development of farms.

Still even with that lush of an environment you would have to have farms to have a civilization.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Ngay.

I don't think that will happen with the Na'vi. Unless they get a sign or something from Eywa to change that.

I believe that the 'aliens' or humans that stay on Pandora, will become a tribe and maybe become a new civilization with aspects of the Na'vi. I'm not sure.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Hopefully the humans will not be allowed to create a civilization on Pandora. The same rules would apply that they would have to domesticate plants animals first and go through the process of taking up space. If the humans tried that it would probably cause another war as the Na'vi would still see it as them trying to take control of Eywa. The same rules will probably apply to them as they do to the Na'vi where they stay a small tribe. They may use a more complex form of government, because that is what they are used to, but they'll have to learn to use the forest like the Na'vi do or be kicked out.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

When Jake first got into his avatar and went outside. He ran through what looked like a garden of Pandora plants. So, they probably already domesticate some of the plants from what I saw, and that could sustain the small group still there for a while. They probably slowly integrating what they learn from the Na'vi.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yes, but I doubt that they had permission to make such a garden. It was on the RDA field.

I'm sure a few little gardens wouldn't offend the Na'vi to much, since the humans probably can't hunt Pandora fauna >.> they would be dead in ten second flat. Still it would only be one big enough to sustain a few hundred at the very most. When we use the term "civilization" we're are talking about hundreds of thousands of people. I don't think the Na'vi would be too pleased with that...
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

I think that the Na'vi, will take care of the nature. They know, without nature, flora or fauna, they won't survive ... Think about the scene, where Neytiri says, that every energy is just borrowed, and earlier or later, we have to give it back; The Na'Vi settled down, but the didn't domesticate any wildlife up to now.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Exactly, they "borrow" the energy. Domestication may be seen as theft as it takes it out of it's natural setting.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

I think it's also a very wise idea, to give one Atokirina to every corpse in the graves....

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I like how they put their body in the roots of the trees. That way they become a form of fertilizer that helps give the tree life.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Ngay.

That is a really good idea to do that.

Do they bury them in roots of Hometree or Tree of Voices or just the surrounding trees?

Elektrolurch

I think, the scene in the movie ... this was in Kelutrel, wasn't it?

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

I really don't know. It might and most likely be in Kelutrel, but I'm not sure.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I think it was Hometree. The roots were pretty massive and stuck out, while the Tree of Souls were more like a normal tree. I wonder if they bury anyone at the Tree of Souls. Perhaps the leaders?
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Elektrolurch

Possible, ...

And who is buried at Utral Aymokriyä?

Ps: Kelutrel = Hometree ;)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I know I know, I'm so bad about using my Na'vi >.>

Hmm perhaps the son or daughter of the leaders if they died before they got to take their place? Or notable Na'vi who have done great things?

Though then it feels like their separating them. Maybe they're all just buried at Kelutrel.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng