Kissing :)

Started by Chris92, March 07, 2010, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

It makes plenty sense to me that it was simply a natural part of Omatikaya culture before the humans arrived. Although Cameron probably wasn't really thinking about it and just wanted something that looked good it's something easy enough to place in the Na'vi culture. He's gotten himself a very particular fan base, he better work on making everything make sense.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Txur’Itan

Quote from: Tìng Eywatikìte'e on March 16, 2010, 09:05:35 PM
It makes plenty sense to me that it was simply a natural part of Omatikaya culture before the humans arrived. Although Cameron probably wasn't really thinking about it and just wanted something that looked good it's something easy enough to place in the Na'vi culture. He's gotten himself a very particular fan base, he better work on making everything make sense.

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 12, 2010, 01:39:03 PM
Maybe the Na'vi have a hidden propensity for cannibalism, and and she was tasting him?
私は太った男だ。

Nìwotxkrr Tìyawn

In the words of Peter Griffin "Kiss her? I'm gonna destrrroooy her."
Naruto Shippuden Episode 166: Confession
                                    Watch it, Love it, Live it

Nawma_taronyu

it is possible they learned it from humans, but if you think of it how did the human species come up with it? we just thought of it at some point in our history, and it kept with us, so the same could be said for the Na'vi.
Eywa'eveng ngeyä mì sìrey livu frakrr.
May Pandora always be in your life.

Txur’Itan

Humans use kissing for man, many, many things.  But, some how I doubt the Na'vi have to worry about a colesterol lowering kiss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissing

Kissing might be universal amongst humanoids?  But, apparently the same types of affection are being associated with animal behavior it would seem.  I know that licking doesn't seem like much of a kiss to me, but I don't see the Na'vi doing that either.
私は太った男だ。

Zefanaya

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 19, 2010, 01:56:27 PM
Humans use kissing for man, many, many things.  But, some how I doubt the Na'vi have to worry about a colesterol lowering kiss.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kissing

Kissing might be universal amongst humanoids?  But, apparently the same types of affection are being associated with animal behavior it would seem.  I know that licking doesn't seem like much of a kiss to me, but I don't see the Na'vi doing that either.

I agree that it is a given that humanoid races would eventually figure out what a kiss is but I think what matters more is the application of that kiss, what does it mean or signify to the culture.

Eywa ngahu
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH

Chris92

Kissing may seem simple and universal, and from a standpoint where kissing is common, it seems like it would be everywhere else too, right?  Well, I'm sort of sleepy, so I'll use the first example that came to mind: In 'Gran Torino', when badass, I mean, Clint Eastwood, is in his asian neighbor's home at the party-type-thing, he feels real awkward but still reaches out in what he thought was a kind gesture by patting one of the children on the heads.  Baaaad idea though, wasn't it?  A simple gesture in one culture could be considered totally different in another.  Just happened to be a similarity between the two?  Or Neytiri was just following suit on a custom she learned?  I guess that's the main question(s).

Na'ríng Tsmuke

Quote from: Chris92 on March 20, 2010, 12:13:34 PM
Kissing may seem simple and universal, and from a standpoint where kissing is common, it seems like it would be everywhere else too, right?  Well, I'm sort of sleepy, so I'll use the first example that came to mind: In 'Gran Torino', when badass, I mean, Clint Eastwood, is in his asian neighbor's home at the party-type-thing, he feels real awkward but still reaches out in what he thought was a kind gesture by patting one of the children on the heads.  Baaaad idea though, wasn't it?  A simple gesture in one culture could be considered totally different in another.  Just happened to be a similarity between the two?  Or Neytiri was just following suit on a custom she learned?  I guess that's the main question(s).

In many cultures men kiss men as a greeting, its expected, in others if a man tried to kiss another man he'd be punched out,
I love gran torino :) and I clearly remember that scene :)
xX- Her Name Is Written On A Polished Rock;
                                A Broken Heart That The World Forgot -Xx

Zefanaya

Quote from: Na'ríng tsmuke on March 20, 2010, 07:06:09 PM
Quote from: Chris92 on March 20, 2010, 12:13:34 PM

In many cultures men kiss men as a greeting, its expected, in others if a man tried to kiss another man he'd be punched out,
I love gran torino :) and I clearly remember that scene :)

I think that Chris92 is right, about it being awkward but Neytiri did it anyway because she was in love with Jake (I don't think she would fell awkward though, I think other emotions would over power that felling (and they were engaged in an active tsaheylu (just figured out that perhaps tsaheylu actually means be bonded because lu means be off topic though), and we have no idea how that would change the situation.

and as much as i liked grand torino this is an Avatar forum (good connection though, and I am guilty of referencing other movies)

Eywa ngahu
AM 2012 - Uniting the Clans Planning Team
Zephaniah Washington - [email protected]

A Furry - FA: Tirey
AMERICANS FOR PROTECTION OF FREE SPEECH